• Computers
  • Any Surface Pro 4 Users using Sonar here ?
2016/01/11 18:28:53
Tom F
respected colleagues,

if any of you is doing so - please let me know your thoughts about it as i am thinking of getting an i7 version.

it wont be my main machine for audio as i obviously have desktop pcs in the studio but it would be nice for jamming and some mobile application 

thanks
2016/01/12 07:30:26
Tom F
wrong subforum i guess ?
2016/01/12 11:12:21
DRanck
Try posting in the computers forum. Perhaps you'll get better input.

The Surface with an i7 is a real PC. Taking RAM and disk space into consideration Sonar should run fine. I've run it on a Surface Pro 2.

But also consider what types of projects you will be doing. An orchestral project with 60 tracks and huge sample libraries may not be the best fit.
2016/01/12 12:03:56
neirbod
Sonar works well on my Surface Pro 3 iwth i5, but I don't do much that really taxes the CPU.  The biggest annoyance is using the touch screen. Sonar does not seem well optimized for it.  But using a mouse it works great.
2016/01/12 13:41:43
Tom F
thanks you for your replies :-)

strange that its not touch optimized - don´t several videos suggest that it is ?

2016/01/12 13:53:46
Sanderxpander
I think Sonar was optimized to work with touch IN ADDITION to regular mouse work. Last year there was a review in Sound On Sound of several DAWs that market (or don't market) touch as part of the experience. It was commented that Sonar seemed to have many well thought out features in the touch support but that it strangely doesn't allow any editing in the track view at all. No moving or splitting clips etc. I suppose the idea is that you'd zoom and select with touch and do precise edits with a mouse. I haven't personally used it but that has been the impression I got so far.
2016/01/14 18:33:42
Tom F
Sanderxpander
I think Sonar was optimized to work with touch IN ADDITION to regular mouse work. Last year there was a review in Sound On Sound of several DAWs that market (or don't market) touch as part of the experience. It was commented that Sonar seemed to have many well thought out features in the touch support but that it strangely doesn't allow any editing in the track view at all. No moving or splitting clips etc. I suppose the idea is that you'd zoom and select with touch and do precise edits with a mouse. I haven't personally used it but that has been the impression I got so far.

ok - that is quite an inconsictency - but i will have to try it in person...
not being able to totally operate sonar with the stylus is definitely a showstopper - because it sort of renders the tablet mode usesless.

best regards

2016/01/15 01:41:37
Vastman
Untrue... try googling/reading manual...
https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X3&language=3&help=Multitouch.html
im not at home now but this'll get cha started...
2016/01/15 08:40:32
pwalpwal
Tom F
thanks you for your replies :-)

strange that its not touch optimized - don´t several videos suggest that it is ?

mutlitouch was indeed a big part of the x2 marketing, eg, http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/01/03/is-cakewalk-sonar-x2a-on-windows-8-the-future-of-daws/
2016/01/15 11:17:11
JonD
I considered the Surface Pro (I was looking at v3), but was put off by reports of overheating.  For my intended use (mainly writing), I figured it was OK, but for anything more taxing than that - audio recording, for instance - I didn't want to take a chance, especially given the Surface Pro's relatively high price.

So I ended up getting a Lenovo Flex instead.   It's worked out fine -- especially after replacing the standard magnetic drive with a solid state one.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account