2016/04/29 00:05:32
yorolpal
Why not?
2016/04/29 03:05:32
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
yes why not :-)

these days you can route a bus to an aux track. record the aux track and then mute/archive the sources ... not the same but at least a work around
2016/04/29 03:55:59
LJB
I suppose one issue would be any new sources being routed there after you freeze the bus. When you bounce and choose busses you pretty much do get the final bus version as a wav, which I do standardly for backups etc.
2016/04/29 09:31:21
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
LJB
I suppose one issue would be any new sources being routed there after you freeze the bus. When you bounce and choose busses you pretty much do get the final bus version as a wav, which I do standardly for backups etc.

well, same applies to tracks. when frozen no changes possible so that doesn't break any concept.

coming to think of it all required functionality would actually be there since you can bounce any bus faster than real-time e.g. when you export. so it would be a matter of temporarily loading a bounced file and route everything that goes into the bus into nirvana.

but what's the benefit ... because muting/archiving tracks which feed the bus (as I said above) is actually not a good idea as it one tracks often feeds many buses (reverb, parallel compression, headphone mix, ...) and thus would totally change the way the song is played back ... and not being able to archive the tracks that feed the bus there is no benefit from freezing a bus, is there?

so are we back to a batch-freeze of tracks (parallel, not sequential)??? this would be the option that quickly frees up resources (as the summation at the bus is rarely very intense, is it?)

2016/04/29 09:39:05
stevec
In a bus freeze scenario where would the resulting audio clip exist?    Buses don't handle clips in any way AFAICT.    And if buses were changed to handle audio clips, wouldn't they in effect be aux tracks?
2016/04/29 09:55:40
azslow3
stevec
In a bus freeze scenario where would the resulting audio clip exist?    Buses don't handle clips in any way AFAICT.    And if buses were changed to handle audio clips, wouldn't they in effect be aux tracks?

That will be just one "clip" (may be in optimized format to skip silence). Effectively bounced/exported bus.
Instrument tracks also do not have audio clips till they are "frozen".

But I also not do not think performance win is worse the nightmare in conceptual implementation. The only logical solution is to freeze everything on that bus input, including everything with sends to it and side-chains. But wait... that is going to be everything and so Sonar can be replaced by media player
2016/04/29 11:40:51
stevec
But instruments do include "audio" tracks in disguise, so I assume that's why freeze works (it sure can't be the MIDI portion!).   But perhaps more important, you can't drag any clip into the bus pane so they'd have to change the way that pane works. 

Not dissing the idea because I think it could be a convenient means to generate stems.   I'm just wondering how practical it would be as-is.    Now, if there were a "Freeze Bus to Track" command....

2016/04/29 12:42:50
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
stevec
Now, if there were a "Freeze Bus to Track" command....

you can record a bus to an aux track but only in real time. if you could do super fast aux track recording (like when exporting stems/tracks where all tracks are bounced at whatever speed your CPU can do) this would solve this issue as well as the batch-freeze for tracks.
2016/04/29 16:02:57
stevec
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
stevec
Now, if there were a "Freeze Bus to Track" command....

you can record a bus to an aux track but only in real time. if you could do super fast aux track recording (like when exporting stems/tracks where all tracks are bounced at whatever speed your CPU can do) this would solve this issue as well as the batch-freeze for tracks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2016/05/02 16:47:38
brconflict
What ever became of the discussion for Global Freeze? I still like that idea.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account