• Computers
  • DAW building ... The 15 highest-performing PC components you can buy today (p.3)
2017/01/06 09:23:22
bitflipper
Oh, and if you want one without the 10-key pad, they are certainly available. I just didn't keep notes on them because I prefer to have a numeric keypad. Check out the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid. $85 on Amazon, uses the Cherry brown switches. It's the same as the one I linked to above, but without the keypad.

2017/01/06 17:20:23
Sycraft
Another company to look at for mechanical keyboards is Matias. They make their own key switches, which are very very good. I have one of their Ergo Pro keyboards that I like a lot. Their keyswitches are much more quiet than anything I've found from Cherry.
2017/01/06 19:08:06
abacab
I first learned to type (not very well) on a real mechanical typewriter.  The first computer I ran at work had a teletype style keyboard with printer to view input/output messages (paper roll with an ink ribbon), instead of a CRT. 

Now you guys have gone and made me feel like my rubber keyboard is junk, LOL! 
2017/01/06 22:40:19
bitflipper
My first keyboard was an actual Teletype. Talk about dating oneself. I spent years on VT-100 terminals and IBM Type Ms. Clackety-clack. Noisy and expensive, but they hardly ever failed.

My first experience with a rubber keyboard was sometime in the early 90's. My well-worn keyboard had stopped working so I went down to the local computer store (remember those?) and was amazed that I could buy a replacement for 20 bucks. I'd never paid less than a hundred. I'd also recently bought a 17" monitor for a mere $1,000, so I was thinking I'd reached computer Nirvana.

Now that I'm back to a mechanical for the first time in 25 years, it's like old home week. Just feels right.
2017/01/06 22:50:35
abacab
VT-100.  ascii.  RS-232.  Life was much simpler in those days ...
2017/01/08 14:22:24
Vastman
bitflipper
Your post did remind me of how much I hate my current keyboard. I've been a fast touch-typist since I first learned how more than 50 years ago, but on this POS I'm constantly making typos. It's been years since I've had a really good keyboard with mechanical switches and proper tactile feedback. But it's also been years since I paid more than 10 bucks for one. Still, it's got me thinking maybe it's time for an upgrade.

And like me you were probably the only dude in your typing class! Most thought I was wierd but as a writer I knew it made sense and when GAO was the first to get computers... Even before actually, with big micom word processors, I was the only one able to effectively write reports on them but for a few women the agency had hired!

Still got an old IBM keyboard which lets me blaze a trail... Only thing I've hung on to over the decades!

That cpu and ram sure looks sweet! And the thunderbolt Mb is also nice! If I get a $25k over bid for the old farm... (I can actually dream of this!) with Sonar's improved load balancing I might be inclined to a retirement present! However... The 8 core version seems enough! More SSDs!
2017/01/08 16:16:35
NebRanger
Sycraft
Another company to look at for mechanical keyboards is Matias. They make their own key switches, which are very very good. I have one of their Ergo Pro keyboards that I like a lot. Their keyswitches are much more quiet than anything I've found from Cherry.

Logitech's G keyswitches found in the G910 are pretty great too. Never regretted buying my G910 for a second.
2017/01/09 09:21:57
DeeringAmps
"Check out the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid. $85 on Amazon, uses the Cherry brown switches"
Thanks Dave!
Its on the way...

T
2017/01/09 10:30:49
bitflipper
Vastman
And like me you were probably the only dude in your typing class! 

Exactly right. I was the only guy in the class. In the pre-computer era, typing was only sold as a professional skill to girls.

I'd like to claim that I had great foresight, because learning to type was the best thing I got out of high school, but the truth is I signed up for the class primarily because of the advantageous male/female ratio. 
2017/01/09 16:52:34
Vastman
We think alike! As the first long hair in junior high we had a meeting with the principal and my dad refused to make me cut my hair, saying "he's a beetle and plays at all your dances". They refused to let me do a normal gym class, saying if I wanted to look like a girl I could only take coed badminton and tennis...

Gosh, I hated that!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account