2010/06/13 01:50:37
Freeze 1st

I am a single person, but I don't eat all that fast food garbage that drive through convenience places offer.

I just wanted to mention that I do however have a weakness for fast food that I have found lately.

I really like Ore-Ida's French fries in the microwave. Heck,they taste the same as Mcdonalds to me. JMO.

What's the best : "FAST FOOD" recipe's that you can offer?

Thoughts?

Bobby

BTW: I have banned myself from this forum, although I will come back to read to be polite.
2010/06/13 04:21:12
jamesg1213
French fries in the microwave? C'mon Bobby, food doesn't have to be that fast!

This old standby took me 20 minutes last evening, plus half-hour in the oven.

Cottage Pie (serves 4)

Peel and dice 8 medium potatoes, place in saucepan
Add water to cover and bring to boil, 10 minutes or until soft.
Mash with butter and a little milk

Brown 400g of minced beef in a frying pan with a little oil, salt & pepper & Worcestershire sauce to season
As the beef browns, add peas, sweetcorn, shredded carrot or other veg of choice
For this version I also added a small pack of tomato & smoked bacon pasta sauce

Spoon the beef/veg/sauce mix into a shallow oven dish
Add mashed potato and fork over to cover the beef, grated cheese too if you like.

Place in hot oven for 25-30 minutes or until potato starts to brown

Serve with crusty rolls

Mmm..dat waz gud!

2010/06/13 08:32:55
SeveredVesper
Aww, do you mean the whole CW forums or just the CH section?
2010/06/13 10:04:40
Videolink
jamesg1213

French fries in the microwave? C'mon Bobby, food doesn't have to be that fast!

This old standby took me 20 minutes last evening, plus half-hour in the oven.

Cottage Pie (serves 4)

Peel and dice 8 medium potatoes, place in saucepan
Add water to cover and bring to boil, 10 minutes or until soft.
Mash with butter and a little milk

Brown 400g of minced beef in a frying pan with a little oil, salt & pepper & Worcestershire sauce to season
As the beef browns, add peas, sweetcorn, shredded carrot or other veg of choice
For this version I also added a small pack of tomato & smoked bacon pasta sauce

Spoon the beef/veg/sauce mix into a shallow oven dish
Add mashed potato and fork over to cover the beef, grated cheese too if you like.

Place in hot oven for 25-30 minutes or until potato starts to brown

Serve with crusty rolls

Mmm..dat waz gud!

A mouth watering experience James

2010/06/13 20:04:02
Moshkiae
Hi,

Nahh ... I allow myself a treat or two. Once a month have to get an order of fries from McDonald's and have them hold the salt!

Once you take the salt out of them, they are way more edible!

Making french fries at home is ... not recommended and you are talking to someone that was in restaurants for 23 years! The hot oil and stuff is not safe all around, and I prefer not to deal with it. So I stick to some homemade hash browns -- bake the potatoes some in the microwave then cut them up, which also works for french fried stuff as you can do it without a pool of oil.
2010/06/13 20:07:19
bapu
order of fries from McDonald's and have them hold the salt!

Blasphemer!

No Salt?

C'mon Pedro it's only once a month.

2010/06/14 00:46:31
philz
I have a theory about this stuff.  Let's say you lower your choleterol to really low levels, and open those old arteries right up.  Makes it easier for the heart to pump blood right?  So, your heart becomes weak because it doesn't have to work very hard to pump blood, you go out for your morning jog, and die.  On the other hand, I'm an advocate of eating whatever you fancy, so I can keep my choleterol levels at nice restrictive heights.  My heart has to work a little harder to pump blood, but, hey, I think of it as... okay my heart is like going to the gym to work out.  It's strong.  I mean, that sucker is strong.  Sometimes I can hear it pounding (midi synch, natch)... or maybe that was the kick drum???  Anyway, I go out for my morning jog, and wind up stopping at McDonald's after running a few yards. 
Ditto for salt.  Go ahead, pass it up, lower your blood pressure.  Then, when your BP drops to really healthy levels, how's the blood going to have enough pressure to make it all the way up to your brain to help you create that next great tune?  Remember guys, there's 2 sides to every story.
2010/06/14 06:05:34
Garry Stubbs
Thats right Phil, and also there is the Homer Simpson theory about drinking too. Which he likens to the slower Wildebeest being killed, thus strengthening the herd. In other words, alcohol will kill off the weak brain cells, thus making you smarter. I'll drink to that !
2010/06/14 08:03:47
Bristol_Jonesey
My heart has to work a little harder to pump blood, but, hey, I think of it as... okay my heart is like going to the gym to work out.  It's strong.  I mean, that sucker is strong.  Sometimes I can hear it pounding (midi synch, natch)... or maybe that was the kick drum??? 

i know this is the Coffee House - but if you're going to give out advice, at least make it GOOD advice.

The other side to your story is that you probably suffer from extremely high blood pressure (Hyper Tension) and are probably well on your way to your first heart attack.
2010/06/14 18:05:34
philz
Bristol_Jonesey

My heart has to work a little harder to pump blood, but, hey, I think of it as... okay my heart is like going to the gym to work out.  It's strong.  I mean, that sucker is strong.  Sometimes I can hear it pounding (midi synch, natch)... or maybe that was the kick drum??? 

i know this is the Coffee House - but if you're going to give out advice, at least make it GOOD advice.

The other side to your story is that you probably suffer from extremely high blood pressure (Hyper Tension) and are probably well on your way to your first heart attack.
Geez, Jonesey, what happened to the famous British love for wit, irony and glib humor?   I dare say that you may be flying solo if you took that post seriously.  FWIW- The greatest determinants for risk of heart attack are genetic factors and obesity, and I am fortunate enough to not have either of those markers.  If those aren't enough to save me, and I become the first person in my family ever to suffer a heart attack, at least I'll die or be infirmed happy.

In reality, while not without my share of 'bad' habits and vices, I do eat a fairly healthy and nutritious diet, and haven't had anything from MacDonald's in several years.  I simply refuse to become a slave to the latest perceived psuedo-scientific evidence as espoused on Oprah, 'health' magazines and other dubious venues, as such things have been shown to change more frequently than not.  Medicine, it would seem, is a fickle and imprecise science.

Sorry if you mistook my post for advice, and I will give due consideration to being less sardonic in future posts.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account