• Songs
  • Moving On - a new original song (p.6)
2016/09/27 15:08:30
lylemusic
I needed cheering up after flooding my kitchen. Your song did it perfectly. More zest than a sack of oranges, more oomph than a tuba, more bubble than an Aero! Love it! I wish you bon voyage back to blighty!
2016/09/27 17:39:09
daryl1968
Cookie Jarvis
Well done...congratulations and condolences at the same time( on the move that is  )!

Bill

Thanks Bill. Appreciate it
2016/09/27 18:26:24
eph221
michaelhanson
Daryl,

I've listened to most of your work over the years and I have to say, I really dig your style.  This was excellently written and performed, as most everything else that I have listened to.  As mentioned by some one else, I love the vocal harmonies, they are very well done.

Your songs have a modern, Sgt. Pepper-ish, feel to them....and I mean that in a good way.  I love how you do that classic English thing and can make a not so good situation sound absolutely cheerful.  

Loved the song Brother.  No real nits from me.

This is the criticism I'm getting form *those-who-are-in-charge* that I need to settle on a style.  Most of the song writers here have a very specific style...all 31 flavors of ice cream.  My writing is more spumoni.
2016/09/27 18:57:56
eph221
Quote: <Reference your post on my song. 
Bollocks to the 'men in charge ' mate. You do your thang and screw em all :)>

I don't want to be accused of bein shady.
2016/09/28 17:13:45
eph221
Quote <Reference your quote about my quote reference your quote.....I'm confused now. 
:)>

Nevermind.  Have a blast in your new home.  And whilst in London remind yourself that indeed there is something or someone always  watching you.  Is the panopticon that London's become disturbing or reassuring?  I think it's disturbing that they named a giant fun ride *the eye*.  It's like big brother giving you a sucker. :)
2016/09/30 12:44:09
daryl1968
Larry Jones
Bittersweet, emphasis on sweet! (Perfect mix, too.)

thanks so much Larry
2016/10/01 08:57:19
daryl1968
Jesse Screed
I still can't believe how much you sound like Aberfeldy.  I know that it is not always good to compare people to others, but you really do, and I mean that as a compliment.  I wish I could write and produce music this happy, clean, and polished.

again,

Jesse Q. Screed

Thank you Jesse. The weird thing is, I had never heard of Aberfeldy until you pointed it out a while back!
You make some great music yourself mate.
2016/10/01 10:00:44
Walt Collins
daryl1968

Rochester has it's moments but I'm looking forward to some Fish and Chips

We just got back from 2 weeks in Australia.  Fish & chips on every corner.  We probably had fish & chips at least 5 times while we were there.  Just can't get it here in the states.
2016/10/01 14:25:15
daryl1968
bitflipper
I've finally got my studio back together after a four-month hiatus. Yesterday the last piece arrived: my new Emovita Stealth 8 reference monitors. I've spent most of the night listening to my favorite records on them to become familiar with their sound. Much to my delight, because they are extraordinarily flat and grossly overpowered they simply don't impose any color of their own. Consequently, all of my usual references sound spectacularly good.

Why am I telling you this? Because this morning I decided to turn to the Songs forum for new material to run through these amazing speakers, and Moving On was my first selection. I just had to share this observation: your production sounds every bit as good as the quality commercial mixes I've been listening to all these hours. Spectral balance, clarity, punch, panoramic cohesion, expertly sandwiched reverb - all outstanding. (Point of reference: immediately before listening to this, I'd just finished Alison Krauss' New Favorite, one of the best-made records in my reference collection.)

Whatever you're doing, keep doing it. Hope you manage an equally good recording environment after your move. Don't forget to double-check all your voltage settings before turning anything on!

You totally made my day Dave. I really appreciate your time.
2016/10/02 08:33:55
daryl1968
thedukewestern
That's great!

My only "corrective" critique is in the vocal treatment....   there's a slight touch of .. and I mean just a touch...of presence in the lead vocal that could come off as harsh on some systems.  I'm gonna guesstamate  2.5 to 5 k - somewhere in there.  I wouldn't cut it because its really appropriate - I would search for a multiband solution to pull those back when they pop out - and then in turn get a db or 2 more in lead vocal level so all your perfect the lyrics are totally audible! 

for example - say your song gets in a movie - and we watch it on our flatscreen with crappy speakers... that tend to be very harsh - it will really accentuate this area.. firing sibilance into any innocent bystander within earshot

A "creative" critique in the vocal would be to add a dash of pre-delayed verb around the lead vocal as its a little dry ... which.. I do like... but occasionally its slightly uncomfortable...    Also - those amazing background vocals... I would look into treating some of the passages differently than the lead vocal as your perfect song progresses.

For example:  There's a a harmony vocal in your verse, I think it blends very well.  Then - at 46 seconds, there a minor key change and there's a different snare sound that's got less high end and a really cool verb trail - I would attempt to change the harmony vocal somehow at this point  to tell the listener even further that the journey is "moving on"... and then the chorus (55 seconds) I would open up the harmony vocals even further.  Sometimes when I track vocals, Ill wind up with 3 or four tracks that contain everything.. leads and harmonies.  Then - Ill go through and distribute the vocals to different tracks via the song structure.. say "ramp bgv".. "chorus bgv"  or at 2:23 "I'm Still" -  Id try to do something cool with that.

I think its an awesome song!!  Great job!

Thanks so much for the listen and your suggestions - I really appreciate the time you've taken.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account