2018/11/04 17:23:06
stratman70
@Haydn12
My PC is super quiet with the older NH-U12P-with the 140MM dual fans. Heat is never an issue. I am not a gamer but I do play one game series-since the beginning. Tomb Raider. The last 3 versions get used for benchmarks because they are that intense as far as GPU and CPU. Shadow of the tomb raider is the newest. I have a msi GTX1060 6GB graphics card but temps never go above 56 c. No noise from fans either.
I am going to get the newest one I mentioned above though. Just because.

BTW. I am sure you know that Jim R knows his stuff so his advice is golden. Also wanted to add that I never get near 140 tracks so thats why I mentioned the game I play at times. Tops for me is maybe 40-50...........usually more like 25.
2018/11/04 17:51:50
MarianoGF
I have Ryzen 5 with B350 chipset and works great with Cakewalk. Non of those problems I've read in the first page.
Beyond all, better to know the point of view of Noel Borthwick.
2018/11/05 15:19:54
Jim Roseberry
MarianoGF
Beyond all, better to know the point of view of Noel Borthwick.

Noel is a great wealth of knowledge.
BTW, I built his last DAW... 

Faster RAM is a significant performance boost for AMD's Infinity Fabric architecture.
I tested every higher-end motherboard available when Ryzen was released.
NONE would run DDR4/3200 100% rock-solid reliable.
ie: If you tried to run RAM at clock-speed above 2400MHz, the motherboards would exhibit erratic behavior.
Disabling onboard audio caused Simultaneous Multi-Threading to stop working.
If you got a motherboard/RAM combination to boot at 2666MHz or faster, going into the BIOS and adjusting ANY parameter (nothing related to RAM/clock-speed) could cause the motherboard to no longer boot (requiring clearing the CMOS).  This happened many times.

In my ~30 years working with computers, Ryzen was by far the sloppiest hardware roll-out I've seen.
The original Athlon and Athlon II CPUs were not flaky releases... and we used many of them.

Take away faster RAM, factor in the low clock-speed, factor in that many apps/plugins aren't optimized for AMD (see below), factor in no support for Thunderbolt-3, and factor in what's available from Intel... 
I have no bias for/against AMD or Intel.  I'll use whatever I feel is best for DAW purposes at a given time.
The i7-8086k is ~$400... providing 12 processing threads at 5GHz.
Z370 motherboards are rock-solid (will run DDR4/3200 without issue - though it's not a huge performance increase).  With proper cooling, the 8086k is also near dead-silent.
That's hard to beat.

Boost 11 (plugin) in used one of the Cakewalk project demos "Where Did We Go", will exhibit clicks (on the Kick drum track) running on Ryzen.
I experienced that first hand.  No audible glitches running Intel (same exact hardware other than motherboard/CPU).

I've been building DAWs professionally for going on 25 years.
There's no way I'd build a Ryzen based machine for a client.
If a client is prepping a recording session with Slash... and has to break to call asking why the system won't post, that makes everyone look unprofessional.  That's the type of scenario some of our clients are in... and it's a risk that we can't/won't take.  Granted, most folks aren't under that kind of pressure... but many casual users don't have a lot of spare time.  We try to do everything possible to minimize technology getting-in-the-way.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account