• Hardware
  • Upgrade interface opinions requested
2018/11/08 16:30:28
Mannynyagain
Hi,

I’ve been recording at home for about 15 years now. I don’t do a lot of recording, only when I write a new song and that’s once or twice a year. I know the quality of my recordings do not come close to most of what I hear in the songs forum. I chalk that up to my lack of skill, inexperience, some degree of laziness and basic poor judgement.

Okay - with my mea culpas out of the way, I was wondering if the actual sounds I’m getting on vocals, guitars and bass could be improved by upgrading my interface. Currently I have a audiophile 2694 PCI card and a little Mackie vkz3 mixer. The vocal mic is an akg C3000. The 2694 is about 13 years old and the Mackie just a few years old.

Would there be any appreciable difference if I switch to one of the new usb interfaces with for example Presonus or Mackie Onyx ?

I realize is a very subjective issue but technology has changed and maybe for a small investment some of my tracks (vocals especially) might sound a bit more professional.

Any insight would be appreciated. I know “learn to use what you have” is an absolutely valid response - I tell myself that all the time. In fact I’ll be the first to say it - “hey Manny, learn to use what you have”.
2018/11/08 20:16:48
batsbrew
hey manny,
do a search,
there are so many threads about this kind of thing,
it's hard to reiterate the same info over and over and over....
that said,
i used to have the maudio 2496 card, went to a maudio audiophile 192 card,
and after that, bought a RME Babyface Pro.

that's my very strong suggestion.
2018/11/08 20:42:38
Mannynyagain
Understand what you’re saying. Btw, your tracks sound amazing.
2018/11/08 21:05:56
Leadfoot
I used an M-Audio Delta 1010 rackmount for about 12 years. A couple years ago I bought an Audient iD22. They clarity and body of my tracks improved very noticeably. I'm so glad I made the change.
2018/11/09 01:54:41
stratman70
I also used a 2496 for many years. Like you I am in a home studio. I have upgraded but not all that far. I bought a Echo Layla 3G and am still using today with Windows 10 pro and a hi powered new PC build.
The interface and the mic are OK and should be ok, everything else being equal.
Better equipment does NOT always mean better recordings. I still have some of my recordings with my AP2496 and they aren't bad at all.

The mackie onyx does have some pretty good mic pres so that would definitely be a plus.........Interface, ?

2018/11/09 02:36:25
Mannynyagain
Thanks to you all. I currently just run my Mackie 402 into the 2496. The preamps in the Mackie seemed fine to me but I’ve read that the onyx are considerably better and I can’t seem to get tracks that sound nearly as good as many of those using sonar just like I do. I know my engineering sucks but I thought maybe the straight signals I’m working with (Mackie into 2694) are lacking clarity and that a newer interface might be a benefit- being an upgrade to a Mackie VLZ4 (with onyx Pres) or a Presonus - I really don’t know.

I did start searching and found lots of info but nothing that gives me an indication that an older mixer + 2694 can be improved upon by newer gear. Which leaves the weak link in the chain as “me”. Every wants a simple answer and unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be one.

Leadfoots response seems to push me into the onyx realm. Hey, better Pres for $100 is not a big investment.
2018/11/12 13:51:11
Jim Roseberry
The difference between Mackie preamps isn't going to be "night vs. day".
The newer designs are slightly better.
If you're wanting to experience a major improvement from your mic preamp, you'll want to go with a higher-end outboard model. 
I picked up a Neve Portico-II a year or two back. 
One of the best gear investments I've made.  Literally everything sounds better running thru it. 
It's like getting a gear upgrade across all your mics/instruments.
The downside (of course), is cost.
IMO, All onboard preamps are slight variations of "pretty decent" (not amazing, not horrible).
You won't find a lot of color/personality with any of them.

In the OP's scenario, the A/D converters are currently in-the-box.
A new audio interface (converters outside-the-box) would yield lower noise-floor.
You may not notice the difference across a single track, but take that 6-8dB improvement (exact amount depends on the audio interface) multiplied across 24+ tracks... and it starts to add up.  It's like peeling a veil of noise away from the project.

2018/11/12 22:06:12
Mannynyagain
Thanks for your input. After lots of searching and reading reviews , I think I may just drop the whole 2694 pci environment and go with a Audient id14 or id22 (if I decide to spend the extra bucks). Worst case scenario is I say (for 1 millionth time) I made a poor choice.
2018/11/13 00:02:54
Wayfarer
Mannynyagain
I was wondering if the actual sounds I’m getting on vocals, guitars and bass could be improved by upgrading my interface.

Not one bit.

Bill
2018/11/13 12:17:29
Mannynyagain
Wayfarer
Mannynyagain
I was wondering if the actual sounds I’m getting on vocals, guitars and bass could be improved by upgrading my interface.

Not one bit.

Bill

Maybe not, but I’m going to find out.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account