• SONAR
  • Sheet Music Print
2008/11/12 22:31:12
jimkleban
Is there a way to produce a sheet music SCORE of selected MIDI tracks in Sonar (8) in PDF format? I know there is STAFF view but that's not the same as a SCORE printout in PDF.

If not, does anybody have a means to take a SONAR midi project and do the above. I want to publish some of my MIDI tracks as a PDF on the web.

Thanks,
Jim

2008/11/12 22:46:53
SH
If you have a standard version of Adobe Acrobat (not the free reader version) you can select "Print PDF" from the print menu from within Sonar... just like any windows program.
2008/11/12 22:56:44
NYSR
Be aware that the fonts typically used for music notation do not embed in pdf. If the computer used to display them does not have the font installed it will look like garbage.
2008/11/12 23:03:50
Oaf_Topik
No need to spend money on Adobe, when you can download this nice piece of Freeware:

http://www.download.com/PrimoPDF/3000-10743_4-10264577.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10876012
2008/11/12 23:05:37
daveny5
Well, you're not going to get a score from Sonar. You could export the MIDI files to Finale Printmusic, but you'll still have a lot of work to do to make it look like a real score. That's your best bet though. No product is going to take raw MIDI files and produce a finished product, but that will give you a starting point to work from.
2008/11/12 23:45:39
InstrEd
Have to agree with Dave on this. What type of score is it. If it is simple, you could buy the Finale NotePad $10.00 download or if your needs are a little more advanced there is Finale PrintMusic 2009 for $100.00. They also have Demo version of Finale 2009 but that would be over-kill for what I think you're looking for.

Ed
2008/11/13 10:03:24
glynbo
Musescore is an open source cross platform notation program that seems less limited than Finale Notepad: http://www.musescore.org/ Check it out it's free.

Cheers,
Glyn
2018/11/14 14:31:33
Mage_et_lent
Hi, everyone !
Sorry if the subject is old and obsolete, but I hope it will help many users. (Windows)

After many trials without success, I finally found the way to print sheet scores for free and with quality.
Install NovaPDF from the site novapdf.com for free. It will install a virtual printer in your system,
that you'll use to print instead of a hardware printer. I tried many others, such as VirtualPDF
or Wondershare (which is disguised under many other names), they work sometimes but very often, all is crap.
Sometimes they are well read from Adobe Reader, but not in browsers like Firefox.
NovaPDF is reliable for us. All is well printed and can be read by Firefox and Acrobat.
Uncheck the crap in the install process. Once installed, it appears in the printers list as something like "doPDF v7".

Now back to Sonar : Prepare everything valuable to print in your staff view and in the "Notes" (info as Title, Album, Author).
Go to the print preview in the staff view menu "Print", play with the config options,
the last item "Pearl" is the one that I choosed, then Print Menu, choose doPDF,
go to Properties, play with resolution and scale (I choose 600dpi and 95%, but it depends on the length of the score).
Be careful where it wants to save the pdf, (choose your own path if necessary).
Check "Fonts encapsulate", "Open PDF in the reader" and "high quality pictures". Click Ok. You're done.
Open the pdf in Acrobat or your browser to check if all is ok.

EDIT Dec 26, 2018
After a month, NovaPDF wants a fee. I found an other free virtual painter that works ok with Sonar. It tries to install PDF Architect, but it's not compulsory. It is PDF 24.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account