• Computers
  • Weird PC/Windows 10 stuff happening; file history, freezing up, takes forever to shut down
2017/01/18 20:43:59
pentimentosound
We have 6 PC's all but one are Windows 10 (7 on the ASUS notebook), but my wife's i7 4790k (just like mine see signature) is crashing and hanging up and last night none of her files would open or even appear.... like you can usually see pics on the photo folders..
it takes a long time to shut down, too.

Last night she went through hours of trying to reinstate her file history. Nothing was appearing on her hard drives. She couldn't defrag C drive, either. No option to do so.

Are any of you having issues? like maybe usb ports or hardware or whatever?!

She thinks it's her PC, but mine identical and other than weird mouse/cursor stuff on FB occasionally, mine is fine.
Anyone?

Michael

i7 Win10 4790k 4Ghz 32gb DDR3+1Tb WD+2x2Tb Seagate
2017/01/18 23:40:10
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
I would suspect USB hardware and the drivers for it (which probably are not the same between your wife's PC and yours).

I had similar issues, but back in win7 when my DAW (offline) would take ages to shut down or just get stuck shutting down; I could never 100% trace it (thus not eliminate it) but very often it had happened after I had issues with the audio driver in Sonar, when it either crashed Sonar or made me manually close Sonar and go for a reboot ...

For me these "shutting down takes forever" issues have disappeared since win10 (which reinstalled all device drivers), but I have also swapped some USB hardware (MIDI and audio at about the same time)

I would try running the PC with only mouse and keyboard on USB, everything else (printers, cameras, external drivers, whatever) unplugged.
2017/01/19 06:46:33
fireberd
Another consideration is some type of malware.  I would run a full Malwarebytes and antivirus scans.  This can cause many varied problems and even problems that would not normally be associated with malware.

But, if not malware, and considering the hard drive issues I would suspect a corrupted or even failing hard drive. 
2017/01/19 09:12:19
pentimentosound
Thank you, both. We'll try those suggestions out today.
Michael
2017/01/19 10:29:30
abacab
I once had a failing USB external HDD cause weird problems like that.  Once I unplugged it all was well.  So I would start by making sure all USB devices except the keyboard and mouse are disconnected.

Next step, I would try a selective startup (clean boot), to rule out 3rd party software or drivers.

http://www.thewindowsclub...-boot-state-in-windows
2017/01/19 11:25:18
pentimentosound
Thanks abacab.
She's doing that right now (other side of the house) and she did run Norton 360 full scan night before last.
So, now it's usb experiments...
Her NEC display is HDMI and she runs her Sony and Canon cameras through a recent usb3 hub with it's own PS. The Logictech mouse/qwerty are wifi, but she tried it with a plug in set too. The scanner is now unconnected....

Michael
2017/01/19 11:32:51
abacab
pentimentosound
Thanks abacab.
She's doing that right now (other side of the house) and she did run Norton 360 full scan night before last.
So, now it's usb experiments...
Her NEC display is HDMI and she runs her Sony and Canon cameras through a recent usb3 hub with it's own PS. The Logictech mouse/qwerty are wifi, but she tried it with a plug in set too. The scanner is now unconnected....

Michael

It probably doesn't need to be said, but just in case it's the main hard drive, make sure files are backed up.
2017/01/19 11:40:32
pentimentosound
Thanks
She has 3 hard drives like mine.  WD 1Tb for C and a pair of Seagate 2Tb for her pics (she's a pro photographer and painter in addition to music).  I'll remind her, though I think she'd just done a back up of C. I don't know if she has backed up the photos, but mostly likely she has.
Michael
2017/01/19 11:48:20
abacab
pentimentosound
Thanks
She has 3 hard drives like mine.  WD 1Tb for C and a pair of Seagate 2Tb for her pics (she's a pro photographer and painter in addition to music).  I'll remind her, though I think she'd just done a back up of C. I don't know if she has backed up the photos, but mostly likely she has.
Michael

There is a free utility from PassMark (same folks that develop Memtest86) called DiskCheckup that lets you view the SMART info status of your hard drives.  http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

Then there's always Windows chkdsk!
http://www.thewindowsclub...k-for-errors-in-window

And Windows system file checker.
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-run-system-file-checker-analyze-its-logs-in-windows-7-vista
2017/01/19 13:26:04
pentimentosound
Ironically, everything seems to be working fine this morning. Thanks for those links. I'll save/share them and post back if something should change.
     She did index her files Tuesday night and left the PC alone "cooking" that up. Yesterday she had intermittent issues/freezing, but none today.
     I'll post back once I find out what/how today goes.
Thanks again.
Michael
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account