• Computers
  • Any reason to avoid AMD these days? (p.2)
2017/01/27 02:47:05
Hatstand
I am also an AMD user an have no issues. In fact for some reason I escaped most of the recent Windows 10 issues people had, I suspect because AMD processes threads differently than Intel.
I have no doubts the posts above regarding intel having an edge are correct, it is just whether paying the extra is worth the performance gain for the sort of work you are doing. I most recent project was over 70 tracks with numerous instances of plugins some of which are renowned CPU hogs. If you regularly have projects larger than this, then perhaps Intel will give you that extra headroom.
2017/01/28 17:25:21
Jim Roseberry
FWIW,
The more CPU speed, the more effectively one can work at ultra low latency settings.
For the user wanting to work at 64-sample ASIO buffer size or smaller, it's worth the extra cost.
Especially if you consider the cost difference over the life of the machine (say 5 years).
In that light, the cost difference is negligible.  

2017/01/28 17:25:24
Jim Roseberry
FWIW,
The more CPU speed, the more effectively one can work at ultra low latency settings.
For the user wanting to work at 64-sample ASIO buffer size or smaller, it's worth the extra cost.
Especially if you consider the cost difference over the life of the machine (say 5 years).

2017/01/29 14:34:24
slartabartfast
Jim Roseberry
FWIW,

I doubt anyone is trying to claim that you can get better performance from a lower performing CPU, or conversely that a better performing CPU cannot do some things better. The question of amortization of the increased cost is more complicated, but it becomes irrelevant if the buyer does not have the resources to make the higher priced investment in the first place.
2017/01/29 20:34:13
robert_e_bone
Jim Roseberry
FWIW,

I tend to work at either 128 or 64 samples on my AMD computer, and have zero issues.  I DO completely agree that Intel has faster processors - but that CPU is only part of it all - and for what I choose to work with, and with the budget I have available - being fully disabled (and $130,000 a year poorer because of it by only getting disability income now), I am able to get superb performance with more bang for the buck using AMD.

Money aside from my purchasing of components for a new build, I would indeed choose an Intel CPU, but since I can do do save several HUNDRED dollars by going with AMD, I get way better other components and overall a computer that soars through anything I ask of it.

Bob Bone

2017/01/31 08:22:58
AntManB
This seems to be a pretty good summary of the pros and cons of various CPUs for audio workstations:

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/info/audio-pc-processor

Note, that it is from a company that sells CPUs so it may not be totally impartial but the facts as stated seem to make sense.

AMB

2017/01/31 13:21:13
Jim Roseberry
slartabartfast
The question of amortization of the increased cost is more complicated, but it becomes irrelevant if the buyer does not have the resources to make the higher priced investment in the first place.

I have nothing at all against AMD.
The Intel 7700K is ~$160 more than the AMD FX9590.  (Rest of the build is pretty equal)
When compared to other studio gear (mics, preamps, instruments, etc), the cost difference is paltry.  
Over a five year life-span, the difference in cost is $2.67 per month.

2017/01/31 13:31:26
robert_e_bone
Understood, Jim, thanks.

I actually DO have a system with an i7 and a couple of other systems with AMD - both work plenty well enough for my running Sonar.  (I also save on the motherboard when building with AMD, due to bundle pricing at Micro Center for AMD-based CPU/MB purchases).

Either works great - get a bunch of memory and several drives, and have a blast.

Bob Bone

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account