2015/10/27 06:53:09
ebibault51
sharke
The current way of moving huge chunks of a project around by lassoing and dragging them, or by inserting or deleting time, are fraught with problems, finicky and inconvenient. Being able to define song parts or "scenes" and order them on an arranger track would be so useful and make mapping out songs so much easier.

I'm a long time CPA / SONAR user and it's always a kind of nightmare when I realize that I need to insert a part somewhere (example: make room to copy a repeated chorus...). Maybe I am not very clever but I generally have to try it 3 or 4 times to succeed. In fact the "complicated options" like linked clips, shift by X measures create problems like bad position of the copied clips, or even SONAR crash! Finally I often decide to do it in several steps : insert new measures, copy and paste the clips.

I will soon switch to Platinum, so maybe I will have a good surprise about this!

2015/10/27 10:13:08
Maarkr
YES please.   Sony Acid is wonderful for this... wherever your cursor is, you select a menu item like "Insert time", then it asks how many bars you want to insert, and VOILA!, it splits and moves everything...done.
2015/10/27 12:20:11
BobF
Maarkr
YES please.   Sony Acid is wonderful for this... wherever your cursor is, you select a menu item like "Insert time", then it asks how many bars you want to insert, and VOILA!, it splits and moves everything...done.

Sonar will do that

2015/11/05 02:48:54
mudgel
Actually you don't have to create the space first. You can copy and paste using the move existing data over to make way for new, command.

I used to compare the arranger and scratchpad to Sonars Mix Recal but the Arranger and Scratchpad are Compositional / Arrangement tools versus Mix Recall which is a mixing tool.

I can work around the arrangement tools but given my choice I want it all. Having more time to think about it and look at different programs, I want the arranger to be gapless. If Presonus can do it why can't Cakewalk.

Having it work gapless is such a workflow plus compared to having to move the parts and wait for them to render.
2015/11/20 13:09:42
AdamGrossmanLG
Hello,

I have an idea for Sonar - I think we need a "block" type way of moving clips around (see Reason and other DAWs).  Imagine just being able to select "Verse 2" and then ALL CLIPS that from withing the verse 2 "block" get selected and moved automatically just by dragging the "block".

This block would be at the very top of the track view up where the marker grid is.

I setup a pseudo version of this myself but it has its limitations, please see the screen shot below, I labelled the track "**Marker Grid**", which is the first track at the top you see here:

I hope the bakers see this!

I will put in another post for my "chords grid" idea, which you can see in track 2 :)

Thank You!

2015/11/20 20:38:26
Vastman
Given all the input about this I am curious what being baked...It's obviously one of the most desired additions... so I eagerly await what they cook up!
2015/11/26 10:11:59
wetdentist
+++++YESSSSSS!!!!!
2015/12/23 07:37:33
inhouseproducer
I actually like the arrangement feature in Reason than Studio One
2015/12/23 20:35:34
Snehankur
mudgel
Actually you don't have to create the space first. You can copy and paste using the move existing data over to make way for new, command.

I used to compare the arranger and scratchpad to Sonars Mix Recal but the Arranger and Scratchpad are Compositional / Arrangement tools versus Mix Recall which is a mixing tool.

I can work around the arrangement tools but given my choice I want it all. Having more time to think about it and look at different programs, I want the arranger to be gapless. If Presonus can do it why can't Cakewalk.

Having it work gapless is such a workflow plus compared to having to move the parts and wait for them to render.

Dear Mike,
I had seen a post some time back now not being able to find that [I will try to give the link]
The "Gapless" is the main criteria for this request being pending so long. I think when number of audio clips is high and since Sonar keeps all the clips in a non-destructive way [Full clip as file] jumping from one time to another will be difficult to make gapless.
Can be a temporary in-memory rendering just before playback, though that will delay the process?
Regards
Snehankur
2015/12/28 19:23:43
subtlearts
Very much interested in this here too!

Meanwhile, having just read through this thread and noticed some helpful suggestions I've not stumbled across before, I'm playing around now with a combination of the 'DIY marker track' (colourful dummy clips in a dedicated silent MIDI track) and clip groups to get a pseudo version of this going. It actually works pretty well, though there are limitations - it doesn't have auto-ripple features, can't auto-select any automation that isn't in a clip, and it's obviously more ponderous to move things around manually on the timeline than to be able to just whip up a playlist of sections and check it out, maybe even dropping things in on the fly as you go...

However, that is all quite possible in Matrix - I know that's another kettle of fish, and not necessarily perfectly adapted to creating song sections, which is often kind of a linear experience for many of us that doesn't necessarily transpose to the pattern-based mindset of the Matrix... BUT, having created the sections and clip groups in the timeline, it's rather simple to drop them into Matrix channels and then there they are, ready to go, and improvised playlists can at least be recorded in real time to empty spots on the timeline. (Automation sadly seems not to be handled at all in the Matrix, as far as I can tell, maybe someone can correct me here?)

Not the same as is being asked for, obviously, and I hope we can get the full meal deal at some point, but still... while we wait to see if/when this much-requested and apparently long-considered feature comes to fruition, this is something I can use now to rough out song structure without manually selecting and moving things every time. So that's progress! However, a full-fledged arrange feature would be more progress. Looking forward to seeing this soon... I hope... 

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account