• SONAR
  • Linking FX Bin plugin controls across multiple tracks?
2015/04/07 13:46:00
Beepster
I know there are probably multiple semi workable ways to do this using busses and FX Chains but what I would like to is if there is a way to completely link ALL plugin controls  for specific plugins across multiple tracks.

Scenario:

2 guitar tracks recorded simultaneously (same performance using a dual input from mics or in my case dual line outputs from an amp)

Guitar sim inserted into both of the track's FX bin set to the same preset.

Desired function:

Link those two instances of the guitar sim so that if I tweak one the other responds in the same way. Just like linking controls within Sonar.

That is the simple question so if there is a simple answer that I have overlooked no need to read further. I will potentially make a feature request if this simply isn't possible in Sonar.

buuut... here is my usually meandering/rambling reasoning/Beeps being a spazz explamanationizing...

Why? Because I use dual guitar/bass/etc inputs frequently and would like to be able to adjust my sims and other FX bin effects across those dual inputs simultaneously. Also I create doubles, triples, etc of parts for obvious reasons (general doubling, harmonies, whatever). Having all the sims/effects being adjusted at the same time would be much easier.

Why not use busses?

Because certain effects techniques are intended to be cumulative (eg: having two sims on two tracks with lower drive on each then being summed before the bus has many advantages over having dry tracks slamming into a bus with high drive. More color, potentially less noise, etc.)

Why not use FX Chain Modules?

Totally workable once the main setup for the sim/effects is figured out. One I get a close to perfect sim sound then I could map all the needed controls to an FX Chain (without any other FX added to it... or maybe add something or other but I'm more worried about linking sim controls). Then I can do general tweaks. That is not what I want though. I want to be able to switch the dozens (or hundreds) of various parameters in something complex like TH2 or GR5 and have them be reflected in the linked tracks.

What I am currently doing...

I'll set up a decent sound on one sim/effect, save the preset in the sim and/or drag/copy/load it into any associated tracks. As I tweak I have to constantly replace the old tweaks with the new ones across the associated tracks. It is time consuming and annoying.

Of course this can be done by just using busses but again this undermines trying to do things like cumulative gain/distortion tricks which I find really useful for keeping noisy/screechy distorted sounds under control while still getting a really thick distorted end product.

Thanks in advanced for any pointers on linking FX bin effects in this manner (or any other pointers that may help me wrap my head around all this).

Cheers.
2015/04/07 23:45:19
bitman
Some plugs (tape and console emulators come to mind) do it so it can be done.
Sonar could certainly do it so run it up the feature flag pole and see if is saluted.

It would be a welcome feature I expect.

2015/04/08 00:30:05
Razorwit
The ability to link FX controls would be very welcome for me. Maybe a request in the Features forum? I'll vote for it...

Dean
2015/04/10 14:06:28
Kylotan
I too would like this sort of feature, for the exact reasons specified.

For now, I do this by creating an FX Chain, saving the preset, and loading it in wherever it's needed. But it's a slight workflow annoyance that there seems to be no way of having an FX Chain load a new preset, or even reload its own initial preset - I need to delete it and create a new one each time.
2015/04/10 17:21:31
azslow3
For just several parameters, it is easy to group them (in automation lanes). But for 100s it is not an option.

An "external" solution can be written. It is possible to write such Control Surface plug-in (which isl not attached to any surface). It should monitor all parameters from several instances of some plug-in(s) and "multicast" all changes.

But proper solution inside SONAR is the best.
2015/04/11 05:07:34
Kylotan
Automation lane only works on that track, right? Which means you still need to copy it for each instance. Besides, I don't think the problem is generally one of changes that occur during the song, more of just making sure each of your tracks has the same initial value, and automation isn't the most convenient interface for that.
2015/04/11 05:24:27
scook
Automation can be grouped and driven by remote control but the initial question was
Beepster
if there is a way to completely link ALL plugin controls

and I doubt it would be practical to link ALL controls by grouping.
2015/04/11 06:43:31
Kylotan
Ok, so a change via automation to one of the controls could affect other, grouped controls. I guess this is the most flexible way but obviously quite a complex approach for what, on the surface, is a fairly simple request - a way of being able to adjust one plugin and having that change immediately mirrored in another copy of the same plugin on a different track. And setting up automation to fire at the start of playback (as opposed to being something that changes during playback) isn't a very practical way of using it in my experience - it's more suited to changes over time.
2015/04/11 07:39:34
azslow3
I have mentioned automation lanes because I do not know other way to setup groups for FX parameters. In fact I have to switch off automations completely (unset "Read") to make it work as expected.

scook
and I doubt it would be practical to link ALL controls by grouping.

Agree, so I am working on second ("external") solution

I have no influence on the third (proper) one since I am not working for CW.

Kylotan
is a fairly simple request - a way of being able to adjust one plugin and having that change immediately mirrored in another copy of the same plugin on a different track.

I prefer to not use the word "simple" in description what other should do...
2015/04/11 10:26:25
Anderton
Beepster
Desired function:

Link those two instances of the guitar sim so that if I tweak one the other responds in the same way. Just like linking controls within Sonar.

While not elegant, after tweaking a plug-in you could delete the plug-ins in the other tracks and ctrl-drag the tweaked one.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account