2015/07/04 03:35:57
KPerry
And let's be honest: Project5 is a very cool name...
2015/07/04 05:40:14
pwalpwal
i'd also love to see this, but we won't, for the same reasons it was dropped: migrating the codebase to multi-core and x64 was deemed too big an effort, oh well... live's a pretty good replacement hough
2015/07/04 07:44:43
BobF
pwalpwal
i'd also love to see this, but we won't, for the same reasons it was dropped: migrating the codebase to multi-core and x64 was deemed too big an effort, oh well... live's a pretty good replacement hough

I don't recall having heard the reasoning before.  I guess the analysis has already been done ...
2015/07/15 05:48:14
FZ1
Since I bought a large tablet at the start of the year I've become more and more irritated at the nonsensical implementation of touch in Sonar.
They made such a show about Sonars touch interface, but its development seems completely locked into the idea that to do anything useful in Sonar you will still need to use a mouse.
The annoying part is that application that have made no effort on implementing touch features are now far more usable in this context, because the windows native touch mouse emulation is pretty much spot on.

Okay So if I have to start looking around at alternatives I might as well go back to my all time favourite interface. Project5. Ive dug out my old disc and service packs, and brought it back to life.

Wow. This thing still works fine! In fact running it on a modern tablet is a pleasure. The only catch is getting some of the plugins to run in a 64bit environment, which is probably just a matter of tinkering.

Anyway. Id forgotten how much deeper the editor was for automation. Any vst perameter is reachable. The ability to to directly edit clips from the groove matrix is also a huge speed boost. Exposing extra parameters in the inspector is also such a cool feature. 
Of course everything just works fine in terms of touch. The only part of the interface that doesnt respond well are the volume bars. I dont think mixing would work well, but thats what my controller keyboard is for. And in this regard P5 was never really a mixing environment, more a creative synth environment.

Anyway I always felt that abandoning P5 and the half hearted folding of some of its features into Sonar was a mistake. I would have folded Sonar into P5.
Its not too late you know.....

J

2015/07/16 08:13:48
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
I'm curious why you think SONAR's touch impl is nonsensical. To handle multitouch we cannot rely on the base windows fallback since that doesn't support multitouch. What specifically are you missing that the default touch implementation does?

Regarding P5 the main reason it was dropped was the engine was too limited even at that time - it didn't handle bussing, multi-processing or multiple hardware devices well. Upgrading it would essentially mean transplanting SONAR's engine into it. Since P5 was built on an earlier architecture that would have been a large undertaking and couldn't be cost justified. At this time with the matrix, SONAR pretty much does almost everything that P5 could do (and tons more). If there are specific features from there that you miss you can submit FR's...
2015/07/16 10:20:09
Brando
I'm curious why you think SONAR's touch impl is nonsensical. To handle multitouch we cannot rely on the base windows fallback since that doesn't support multitouch. What specifically are you missing that the default touch implementation does?

Nonsensical wasn't my choice of words (I would say partially implemented), but I'll chime in that the biggest single deficiency is for a Right Click equivalent (Windows touch/hold) - If I am working in console view - and want to (say) add an effect to an effect bin - There is no way to do that without grabbing the mouse. (Please tell me if I am wrong, because I haven't figured out a way to do it). No way to group faders, etc, etc - without grabbing a mouse (I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this).
After a bit of time of limited touch capability, I gave up and now use my Touch screen monitor as a regular monitor with a mouse. I don't understand your comment about the base windows fallback. I do know that I have capability to do a right-click equivalent (touch/hold) outside of SONAR using windows 8.1, which I don't have in SONAR.

At this time with the matrix, SONAR pretty much does almost everything that P5 could do (and tons more). If there are specific features from there that you miss you can submit FR's...

This is the problem (in my view - I am not trying to speak for the OP or for the other posters pining for a reincarnation of P5) -  the matrix doesn't match Project 5's workflow. Capability doesn't necessarily equate to an easy, logical workflow that is pleasurable to work in. I don't know how to distill this fact into individual FR's for each aspect of desired improvement. (And I haven't had P5 installed in eons to be able to do this even if I had the time). I confess to not using either Matrix or the Step Sequencer extensively in SONAR because the tools as provided in early (Post P5) versions of SONAR were inferior (I can't honestly say whether that is still the case) and the SONAR environment encouraged linear/"traditional" project sequencing.

2015/07/16 10:39:41
Brando
To add/clarify re: touch - using the little "+" symbol in the FX bin's header to add an effect to the effects bin via touch is not practical (almost not possible) and almost constitutes a "nonsensical" aspect of touch implementation.
For this feature only (adding an effect to an effects bin) - splitting the header in half - with the left half devoted to the "Bypass Rack" button, and the right half devoted to "+" (show rack menu) might work - but even there the header itself is so thin to make inadvertent contact with the topmost effect in the bin inevitable. (There is an option to widen all strips, but no equivalent to scale up all elements.
I am curious - Noel - as a SONAR Platinum user - do you use Touch?

2015/07/16 11:45:41
BobF

Regarding P5 the main reason it was dropped was the engine was too limited even at that time - it didn't handle bussing, multi-processing or multiple hardware devices well. Upgrading it would essentially mean transplanting SONAR's engine into it. Since P5 was built on an earlier architecture that would have been a large undertaking and couldn't be cost justified. At this time with the matrix, SONAR pretty much does almost everything that P5 could do (and tons more). If there are specific features from there that you miss you can submit FR's...

Thanks for the update, Noel.  I had no idea P5 was such a turd when you sold it to me    I get it.  Totally outdated, incapable beast.  I won't hold my breath on this one.

Sorry, Noel, but Matrix and Step Sequencer (as Mike pointed out above) are no replacement for P5's functions.  As a start, how 'bout making a pattern editor in Sonar that is equal in elegance to the pattern editor in P5?  Once that's done, we'll move on to the next item. 

Seriously, open up P5 sxs with Sonar.  Do the same things in each.  Now match the form & function from P5 in Sonar.
2015/07/16 12:14:26
pwalpwal
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]To handle multitouch we cannot rely on the base windows fallback since that doesn't support multitouch.
i don't understand this statement, windows has supported multitouch since win7 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/touch - do you mean something specific with "base windows fallback"?

2015/07/18 09:10:55
FZ1
Hi Noel,
Thanks for chiming in. Prehaps you could clarify the direction of Sonars touch features.
I recall when X2 came out. James Oliver demonstrated the touch features on a Sonicstate video.
He said something along the lines of "To do any editing in Sonar you will always need to use a mouse and keyboard"
Is that how you see the development of Sonar touch?

That would be the nub of why I feel the development of touch as being a bit odd. Wouldn't the logical goal of a touch interface be the full use of the program, rather than relying on a external item of hardware to edit anything?

However there is something you said that I dont fully understand, but might be at the root of my frustration.
"To handle multitouch we cannot rely on the base windows fallback since that doesn't support multitouch"

Does this mean that implementation of multitouch is mutually exclusive with windows touch right click emulation?
So you can add multitouch features like the on screen keyboard, but at the expense of having a right click touch menu in the arrangement window?

That means that the things that I had assumed to have been crippled deliberately, are actually just the result of implementing multitouch. And I'm just woefully underestimating how long it will take to make Sonar a complete multitouch program. Many many years.
Sonar Unobtainium edition?
Is this the case?

Back on topic. If Sonars step sequencer allowed automation of vst parameters rather than being limited to midi spec messages only, or the matrix allowed for direct editing of cell contents, it really would be an improvement on P5. These are still superior in P5, especially if you are using a touchscreen.

Cheers J

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account