2016/03/17 12:46:32
steveandrews@embarqmail.com
I have been using Cakewalk for many years. I originally purchased it because it ran on Windows. At the time most studio software ran on Apple products and were ridiculously expensive. Now Microsoft is moving away from operating system ownership and will even eventually extort yearly usage fees for the privilege of using their software. They have also built in spy ware and taken away the control of upgrades from the hardware owners. Privacy issues aside these practices consume system resources and can introduce unwanted behaviors. Have you considered writing a version that runs on Linux?
2016/03/17 13:34:13
bapu
Oh not this AGAIN!!!!
2016/03/17 14:05:18
stevec
bapu
Oh not this AGAIN!!!!

You would prefer a Mac thread, sí?

PS... SONAR on Linux?  Less likely than SONAR on Mac IMHO. 
2016/03/17 14:18:58
gswitz
Ubuntustudio.org
2016/03/17 16:32:42
John T
I reckon it's very unlikely that MS will start charging a yearly fee for Windows. That would leave them in the fairly impossible position of having the only mass market operating system that wasn't free.
2016/03/18 05:53:06
azslow3
John T
I reckon it's very unlikely that MS will start charging a yearly fee for Windows. That would leave them in the fairly impossible position of having the only mass market operating system that wasn't free.

They have announced that some time ago, so that probably will come.

As OP has correctly mentioned, they are already bound Windows to the hardware. So as a normal user you can not upgrade your PC without sending (ridiculous!) money to MS. I think "subscription" model will be accepted by most users, you can upgrade PC again, probably "home" package (several home computers) will have special price. They have big experience with Office 365, they know what they are doing.

Note that is not going to affect corporate market, they have (and will have) site wide licenses. Small PC building companies are happy now and will be happy with subscription. End users are forced to buy complete PCs instead of upgrades. With subscription, I guess the price of Windows 365 is going to be rather small for them, so "initial price" will be more attractive.

One example:
* you can buy Intel TV stick with Window 10 for 120 €
* official Windows 10 (not OEM) for upgraded/self build PC is 135,00 €
Does it make sense? But they are doing that, already now.

With "Spy" function I disagree. They have no reason to spy, they want to collect some info but you can switch that off. All "passwords & co" information is for sharing between YOUR devices, Google/Apple are doing that. And many people are happy (system restore without explicit backup, etc.). But again, you can switch that off.

With all respect to Linux (I am working with it full time), the experience for end users can not be compared with Windows 10... Linux can become "dangerous" for OS X, but MS is going its own route and till now they was always successful.

2016/03/18 12:53:09
John T
azslow3
John T

I've never seen MS announce a yearly fee, and I do watch these things fairly closely.
2016/03/18 13:49:58
azslow3
John T
azslow3
John T

I've never seen MS announce a yearly fee, and I do watch these things fairly closely.

Well, they are extremely careful with that staff... First (before 10 came) they had general indirect statements with "dual" interpretation. The key word was a "service". Like Cakewalk's "membership" that can be interpreted different ways, till that is clarified. I think observing the reaction, they have started to clarify the word is for development model and not for selling model. That was not sufficient to stop rumor, so they had to explicitly say that Window 10 will not require subscription... Instead it is bound to the hardware and the license breaks with it. That violates some laws in some countries, so they had to introduce exceptions like a possibility to get new license for (proved) broken hardware under guarantee. But with "free" (one way only)  upgrade to Windows 10 (also from versions with explicitly transferable license) they have armed a "time bomb". People periodically want better computers, old computers a tend to break and so most Windows licenses currently existing in the world will be obsolete within 5, at most 10 years. Which Windows will be available that time? That is up to MS. And no one will be able to say "Windows 10 is still working fine for me, and cost nothing". So they can deploy what the want (unlike now).

One of (rumor?) examples: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/microsoft-reveals-successor-windows-10-os-will-be-offered-paid-subscription-service-1501023

2016/03/18 14:03:22
John T
I'm not interested in rumours, myself. It's rumoured that there's a dinosaur at the bottom of Loch Ness. That link is a really old story, and MS refuted it ages ago.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account