2016/03/18 14:46:21
stevec
John T
I'm not interested in rumours, myself. It's rumoured that there's a dinosaur at the bottom of Loch Ness.

That's just Barney, snorkeling, taking a break from his TV show.   You heard it here first!

2016/03/18 15:02:42
azslow3
John T
I'm not interested in rumours, myself. It's rumoured that there's a dinosaur at the bottom of Loch Ness.

John T
Blimey. Excellent work.

You write that about something you have not tried

Seriously. It is hard to find modern software which does not require online registration and subscription. For the first the explanation is "piracy" (while I can not remember a protection which was not hacked within days, in case the program is really good...), for the second it is a "quality of service, always up to date, etc.". The reality is simple: keep (legal) users under control, use as much information as possible to sell them something and have a possibility to tune the price when needed. MS could not do this now (with Windows). But they have prepared everything to make it possible in the (not so far) future. The Internet is filled with "Windows spy me" (which is not exactly true and MS is well prepared to defend) while relatively quite about the fact that users LOOSE there ENDLESS licenses when upgrading. Even CW is on board, for example with free "improvements" patch for Z3TA2 after which you need internet to register. And you compare that with dinosaur...

Back to Linux. That is what keep them all from pushing users too hard. Fortunately for them, Linux is just a kernel. "Big players" have not found one point of interest in the supplementary packages. In fact they are "fighting" even inside the kernel (like Google vs the reset, as I understand mostly coming from ARM haters inside radical part of free software community...)
2016/03/18 15:36:57
John T
azslow3
John T

John T
Blimey. Excellent work.

You write that about something you have not tried

Ok, you're just being weird now.

Microsoft have not said they intend to charge for subscription. That's a fact. You want to waffle on about counterfactuals, knock yourself out.
2016/03/18 20:32:59
Jim Roseberry
Call me crazy... but I don't get the big deal if Microsoft moves to monthly/yearly fee (assuming it's reasonable).
  • You don't own your copy of Windows (rather a license to use it)
  • If you keep your OS current, you're paying each time
As long as the monthly/yearly cost isn't a significant change from what we've had... I see no practical difference.

There's no debating that the beauty of Linux is the ability to customize and keep things super lean.
However, that's a double-edge sword.
Windows is *super* easy to install on just about any hardware.
This broad base compatibility is what makes Windows "bloated".
If you add that same broad case compatibility to Linux, then you lose the "super lean" aspect.
Installing/configuring/maintaining a lean install of Linux is beyond most novice users.
Ever tried to configure a Hackintosh with OSX?  It can certainly be done... but it's a PITA compared to installing Win10.  
2016/03/19 04:40:42
azslow3
John T
Ok, you're just being weird now.

Let say someone write "you have beautiful music on your side". Next day you go on your side (to put even more music) and you see that no one ever listened it. The same person writes "rumors are not interesting"

Microsoft have not said they intend to charge for subscription. That's a fact. You want to waffle on about counterfactuals, knock yourself out.

I have not claimed MS has Windows subscription for end users now. But they have Windows subscription for organizations. That is also a fact (I use such license myself). They have subscriptions for VS and Office, for all kind of users. And they speak about "service" in respect to future Windows versions.

When CW has asked "do you use Netflix?" many forum mates started to speculate about Sonar subscription. We have a "membership" now.

X2 is working under Linux(Wine). Someone (may be me) will probably find what prevents Platinum to run there.

That is all I wanted to write about the topic, so I can "knock out" now
2016/03/19 18:09:07
gswitz
Azslow3, you rock.

Thanks!
2016/03/21 09:04:40
pwalpwal
azslow3
When CW has asked "do you use Netflix?" many forum mates started to speculate about Sonar subscription. We have a "membership" now.

since being available via steam, sonar (ccc, non-steam) will now have an "early access" branch; interestingly, steam deploys/updates are always later than via ccc, and it has even been noted in that forum that this is to "iron out" any issues that became apparent during the "direct delivery" (ccc)
/fwiw

2016/03/21 14:18:42
stevec
Who knows what Microsoft will actually end up doing with Win10...   But chances are that A) SONAR still won't be coded to run natively on Linux, and B) I'll still like the SONAR membership program for everything it offers.

2016/03/21 15:00:38
pwalpwal
A)

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account