• Computers
  • Couple of interesting articles on SSD optimizing & performance
2016/12/31 12:21:28
TheSteven
Came across these articles on SSD optimizing & performance.

Some of the info is in German and I think the that the benefit of disabling System Restore* is debatable. 
*on my person systems System Restore has let me down every single time I needed it, but on client's systems there's been a time or two when it's been a life saver.

Optimize Windows for SSDs

Optimize SSD Performance

2017/01/06 21:42:27
SuperG
FWIW, I'm sticking with sysrestore on, even though my boot is an SSD.

It saved my butt yesterday. Somehow, I don't know if it was Chrome or Microsoft Edge, but a malware Trojan got in - disabled Window Defender, and proceeded to change search settings, weird things things show in the task tray, and so on. I brought up sysinternals process explorer..after about a minute a I tired of playing wack-a-mole trying to kill all the recurring processes. I pulled the plug on my internet connection. I went through and removed a few startup entries, and so on. Still, It bothered me that somehow the Trojan disabled Windows Defender by applying some sort of a group policy to it. Luckily, I had a good restore point from the day before.

It's not that I can't reset my PC and reinstall all my software - all my license data and serials are is stored in multiple cloud accounts plus the software vendors themselves - it's just that it's an all damn day experience installing gigabytes of software....

System restore saved my bacon - so I've decide that the wear and tear on the SSD is worth it.

My project directories, temp directories and such are symbolic links to directories an a spinning-platter hard drive - that's where most of a disk drive's wear and tear comes from, anyway.

2017/01/09 01:09:53
Vastman
System Restore... Saved my butt numerous times..
2017/01/11 11:32:55
fret_man
Beware, most of those tips are 4-5 years old and many are probably obsolete by now.
2017/01/12 14:15:35
kitekrazy1
These seem to reduce writes to a drive.  The one tip I never like is messing with the page file.  It gets reset in Windows.  That one for me always seems like asking for trouble.
2017/01/13 09:23:03
TheSteven
>it gets reset by Windows
Can't say I ever had that issue.

With SSD drives - if the PC has adequate RAM I'll usually set the page file size at a static 1GB or variable 200MB to 1GB for logging Crash Dumps*.  Windows will warn you it needs at least 800GB for crash dump storage if you try to set it lower or eliminate it.

*That being said I've haven't bothered trying to decipher a BS dump in years. When my system blue screens its usually due to swapping audio drivers back & forth. So maybe it's more efficient to completely turn off and only switch it on if you're experiencing crashes.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account