• Computers
  • MS Silent updates may have caused CA-2A runtime errors (p.3)
2017/01/11 10:35:51
abacab
A secret Apple fanboy, ha!  Would that be a Sirian slip?
2017/01/11 10:59:10
pwalpwal
everyone's allowed senior moments
2017/01/11 12:27:56
gmp
bitflipper
Sorry, I meant Cortana, not Siri.

Right away I removed Cortana from the taskbar using 8.1. Since Metro was of no use to me, I use ClassicShell, which is a Win 7 type start menu - way more useful. I can still access Metro from it and see Cortana, so she's not eliminated, but I've never once gotten any questions or interruptions from her thankfully. The few questions I asked her, I found her pretty useless.
2017/01/11 12:30:21
abacab
And with Cortana constrained to her box it reverts to a local Windows, rather than a web based, search
2017/01/11 19:11:37
Dave76
Please please please just allow auto updates on Windows 10 to work as intended.  You may think you are smarter than the world but really you are just opening up your systems to do denial of service attacks, etc. against the rest of us.  
2017/01/11 19:18:53
abacab
Dave76
Please please please just allow auto updates on Windows 10 to work as intended.  You may think you are smarter than the world but really you are just opening up your systems to do denial of service attacks, etc. against the rest of us.  

Huh?  What? Please cite your sources ...
2017/01/12 10:27:35
kitekrazy1
Dave76

Windows 10 also does this. Like denial of service of hardware that was working yesterday. 

The evolving OS was started by Apple and their users go through the same thing.

If system imaging wasn't time consuming it would be a daily thing. 

Also system restore is your friend. Usually restore points are created for new updates.  
2017/01/12 11:03:27
abacab
Locking down the privacy and advertising aspects of Windows 10 is one important issue to many people.  For some, it's the main show stopper against upgrading to Win 10.  It is also important to keep a DAW as clutter free as possible.  The background data use of these Windows Store apps could be a problem, unless you take your DAW completely offline.

In fact Microsoft just made a statement a few days ago that they intend to dial back data collection from Windows 10.
http://www.itworld.com/ar...0-data-collection.html

As far as updates go, it's really not recommended to NEVER update.  Just use the available controls to defer or re-schedule them at your convenience, avoiding interruptions to your workflow, etc.

I personally like to wait for a few weeks after MS releases updates, letting them "bake" a little longer.  Microsoft often releases fixes for"bad" patches in the days and weeks after release on "Patch Tuesday".  I am happy to let the automatic updater folks be my beta testers.
2017/01/12 11:42:23
gmp
kitekrazy1
Dave76

Windows 10 also does this. Like denial of service of hardware that was working yesterday. 

The evolving OS was started by Apple and their users go through the same thing.

Also system restore is your friend. Usually restore points are created for new updates.  

System restore didn't solve the problem for many with the Dec bug with runtime errors and CA-2A, etc. Are you agreeing with Dave76 that what me and abacab are doing is jeopardizing everyone else? I'd love to hear this argument.

MS has policies with businesses where they can defer their updates, so they can be sure all is well before updating lots of their computers. Abacab and I are deferring updates and I'm stopping these silent updates on Metro apps and consumer apps I don't use. My DAW is for music only, no web surfing, email, etc
2017/01/12 12:20:45
abacab
kitekrazy1

I agree with this.

I always make two system images monthly.  One before, and one after, any Windows or Cakewalk update.  Lately I have Windows and Cakewalk update around the same time to keep this simple.  The image that I take after the updates is the one I will use to roll back if my system messes up later in the month, for reasons not related to the  updates.  If I have reason to suspect a problem with the updates, I will roll back to the pre-update image.

I have found Windows System Restore to be a hit or miss thing.  I understand it is only supposed to back up the registry and system files.  But it tends to break any applications you have installed since the restore point. 

So for short term use, I usually create a restore point any time I install an app, if one is not made automatically.  I think the farther back that you attempt to go back with System Restore, the messier it could get.  Images are better for that purpose.

But System Restore can make the process of uninstalling an unwanted app cleaner.  For example if you install an app that causes problems, or have a demo that you don't wish to keep on your system. 

First uninstall the app using its uninstaller, then use System Restore to go back one step.  Your Windows registry should be back just like it was prior to that last install, and all the crud that the app dropped in your registry should be gone too, even if the uninstaller failed to remove it all, as many do. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account