• Software
  • Supreme Court ruling on taxes
2018/06/22 16:46:43
robbyk
I wonder how this will affect plugin prices and small boutique companies. Huckabee notes:

While it won’t affect major stores such as Amazon and WalMart that already have stores or warehouses in every state and collect sales taxes, it could harm boutique web companies and small independent businesses or individual sellers who make much of their money via the Internet by imposing an impossible burden of figuring out, filing and paying not only state but county and city taxes on every sale in virtually every state. It also opens the door to American companies having to comply with whatever tax and regulatory burdens are imposed by overseas organizations such as the EU...

I hope all is well for Hornet, etc...
2018/06/22 18:11:03
2:43AM
It can harm everything. Cuts to Big Corp. Increased taxes to the consumer.
2018/06/22 18:47:58
robbyk
It can harm everything. Cuts to Big Corp. Increased taxes to the consumer.

Yup everything gets passed onto the consumer, for sure, but I worry about the little vintage plugin boutiques, they want to code and sell, not worry about taxes and accounting, just like I want to make music, not worry about Cortana's latest fashion statement...I hope they can stay in business...
2018/06/22 20:27:37
cclarry
Buy NOW...save money!  LOL
2018/06/22 21:08:12
I just got an email from eBay asking me to sign their petition against it.  I'm going to do it since I think eBay knows what it's doing as far as a valid submittal and pleading a good case.  Usually, I'm against eBay's policies, but this I can agree with.  I better read the fine print though!

If anyone else is interested, then check it out here: https://www.ebaymainstree...rnet-sales-tax-sellers
2018/06/23 03:14:53
Fog
certain companies are as well known for their tax dealings.. as they are a brand.. which they license out elsewhere for a fee.. etc

so in some cases you may think we are getting great deals on things... reality is , we are actually subsiding them when *WE*  pay the correct amount of tax (without any "tax efficient"  schemes)

there has been a few programmes on about it here..

including a certain person who is supposed to be using a private jet exclusively for business trips.. yet can't posting on social media it's being used for holidays also..

1 rule for some, as the saying goes.

ebay are a bit "rich" .. considering they are adding a tax on p&p here.. and doing NOTHING for it.  how / who I use to post it is NOTHING to do with them.. if they want to stand in the post office queue for me, then they should be getting the fee.. but aren't

2018/06/23 04:24:12
bitflipper
I have no idea how they expect to make this work!

From a software developer's perspective, taxes are a major PIA. In my own software I've had to code for separate tax laws in 50 states, 10 provinces, and six countries. Some of the rules are really goofy (lookin' at you, Quebec and Florida). 

Now small businesses will have to get tax forms and instructions for every locale they do business with. Not just every state/province/country, but the hundreds of taxing districts within them (every city has its own tax rates).

They will need to alter their bookkeeping systems to create accounts for hundreds of taxing authorities. They will have to figure out how to calculate the taxes (some locales have a sliding rate schedule depending on the amount of the sale, some have complicated rules about what rate to use and who and what items are subject to them, and a few oddballs have compound taxes).

They will have to identify every customer's precise locale to determine which taxes apply, and ask previously-unneeded and intrusive questions - like "do you work for the government?", "are you a member of a native tribe?", "is this for resale, and can you prove you have a business license in your state?".

This was not an issue before, because taxes were based on where the retailer was located, not where the customer was. Amazon has always charged me sales tax because I'm local to them, and it has always been the tax rate for their home address in Seattle. Sweetwater does not charge me sales tax because they're in Indiana and I'm not. Now, Sweetwater will have to somehow know what taxes apply here in my hometown, get updated when they change annually, and file returns with the state of Washington. And every other state and province they ship to.

Years ago the state of Oregon wanted to collect liquor tax from airplane passengers flying over their state. That idea didn't fly, for obvious reasons.
2018/06/23 04:51:25
Kamikaze
No wonder I keep meeting American Libertarians
2018/06/23 09:27:57
soens
"Won't Affect Me! My State Is Tax Free!" (for now, anyhow)

FWIW, some vendors already charge state sales tax.
2018/06/23 14:40:27
JohanSebatianGremlin
bitflipper
I have no idea how they expect to make this work!

From a software developer's perspective, taxes are a major PIA. In my own software I've had to code for separate tax laws in 50 states, 10 provinces, and six countries. Some of the rules are really goofy (lookin' at you, Quebec and Florida). 

Now small businesses will have to get tax forms and instructions for every locale they do business with. Not just every state/province/country, but the hundreds of taxing districts within them (every city has its own tax rates).

Actually they probably won't. Small businesses will hardly have to concern themselves with this at all. Its the big businesses that will have to get busy dealing with the problem. Small businesses don't build and maintain their web shopping carts in house, they use off the shelf third party solutions.

It won't fall on the owner of Jethro's Unique Vintage Plugins Inc to solve this. It will fall on Squarespace or Wix or Sitebuilder or whatever other site building/hosting solution he or she uses to solve it for them. Pretty much same with the accounting. Quickbooks will have to build that in to the services they offer. As will all the CPA's of the world.

There will likely be a cost for these solutions in addition to the taxes themselves. And those additional costs as well as the taxes will all be passed to the consumer who in the end is the loser in all of this.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account