• Computers
  • Matched pairs RAM - Is this still a thing (p.2)
2016/12/11 12:56:33
abacab
http://www.tomshardware.c...-ddr3-module-size.html
For all intents and purposes, 8GB is the maximum available for a single stick of normal (non-ECC) DDR3 RAM. While the chipset on the laptop may support 32GB, the chipset is likely used in many different laptops from many different manufacturers; some manufacturers will equip their laptops with 4 slots, and some with 2 slots. With 2 slots you're essentially limited to 16GB, regardless of the fact the chipset can cope with 32GB.
2016/12/11 13:05:28
Kamikaze
I think several things are pointing towards it being 2x8gb maximum. I'll contact HP support here, and see if they can actually give me my systems factory specification. Product number and the word specification is supposed to bring it up on a search of the HP site, but doesn't. Other searches seem to suggest 16 max too.
2016/12/11 13:12:44
drewfx1
FYI - I use a free program called CPU-Z, which shows low level system info, including the memory timing info, part numbers and whatnot:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Highly recommended.
2016/12/11 13:24:26
abacab
drewfx1
FYI - I use a free program called CPU-Z, which shows low level system info, including the memory timing info, part numbers and whatnot:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Highly recommended.

+1

Another good freebie is this one, it lets you dive into details for all of your CPU, RAM, motherboard devices, drives,  and ports.
https://www.hwinfo.com/
2016/12/11 13:51:08
Sycraft
RAM is best done in pairs (or sometimes triples or quads) but it doesn't have to be matched as in two identical sticks. The reason for sets is memory controllers have multiple channels and can read/write to more than one stick at once. Normal desktop systems are dual channel. Older high end systems and some servers were triple channel. Current high end systems and servers are quad channel.

So what is important in multi-channel RAM is both sticks need to be the same size, and they should be the same speed (if not the faster one will be slowed down to the slower one's speed). They can be from different vendors though, that is no issue normally.

Now all that said, occasionally you find systems that are extremely fussy and everything has to be perfect RAM wise. They'll only work with the specific stuff they want and refuse otherwise. But for 99.999% of consumer hardware all that matters is two sticks that are the same size and speed and they are happy.
2016/12/11 14:12:28
abacab
It's not a law, but it is a great suggestion!

According to my ASUS motherboard manual:

"Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency.  For optimal compatibility, we recommend that you install memory modules of the same version or date code (D/C) from the same vendor.  Check with the retailer to get the correct memory modules."

Have always done this, and never had an issue with RAM.  Been building computers for over 15 years. 
2016/12/11 21:27:33
Kamikaze
Thanks guys. I think I'm sold on buying a pair, and moving the current 8 to my work laptop. I don't need 8 in my work laptop, but more than 2 will help. So It seems obvious to move the 8 and get buy a pair to make sure they are identically spec'd.

I'll probably put an ssd in my Music laptop at the same time. It has a CD drive I considered getting a caddy for and putting an SSD in there. But I don't push my hardrive hard enough, so I think I think a single SSD with suffice. I can add a HDD to that slot if I need to in the future.

I maye test run the SSD with a small 124 ssd for my work laptop.  Fast load up times will really help my work, more than my music. 5-7 year olds have very short attention spans. You can loose a class just waiting for a song to load.  
2016/12/11 22:30:18
abacab
Kamikaze
Thanks guys. I think I'm sold on buying a pair, and moving the current 8 to my work laptop. I don't need 8 in my work laptop, but more than 2 will help. So It seems obvious to move the 8 and get buy a pair to make sure they are identically spec'd.

I'll probably put an ssd in my Music laptop at the same time. It has a CD drive I considered getting a caddy for and putting an SSD in there. But I don't push my hardrive hard enough, so I think I think a single SSD with suffice. I can add a HDD to that slot if I need to in the future.

I maye test run the SSD with a small 124 ssd for my work laptop.  Fast load up times will really help my work, more than my music. 5-7 year olds have very short attention spans. You can loose a class just waiting for a song to load.  

Yup, there are a few other threads in the computer forum discussing the best placement for SSD's.  In my experience, the system drive is the most effective SSD upgrade.  If you locate the Windows boot partition here, along with your program folders you will see a huge boost in boot speed, as well as with launching applications
2016/12/11 23:07:18
mettelus
I am not sure if this has been mentioned above, but the MB specs should have the RAM reqts (both physical and OC capability) listed. The OC would be specific to the BIOS, but the MB specs would say what the board is capable of, and the BIOS should match accordingly. I didn't catch in this thread (may have missed it) if you had pulled the actually MB specs though. (I did a quick look on the links above but didn't find a MB model listed.)
2016/12/12 05:02:14
Kamikaze
I can't find the specs, I just go in a loop on the HP site.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account