• SONAR
  • Importing midi (p.2)
2018/11/10 15:42:17
trusso11783
Sock Monkey, I have been using midi since the late 80s and have a pretty good understanding of it. I understand that midi contains only data and no sound. I have used it extensively with external sound modules in the past. I see no option in Samplitude to save as a mid file. I only get one choice, which is VIP. I have saved many projects as midi files in the past with cakewalk, so I understand that. It seems my only option is to export the single tracks as mid files from Samplitude. So, there is nothing in your post that can help me but thanks anyway.

Chris R, I do have two midi outputs in my preferences because I need them for my two external sound modules. When I import a midi file, Output, it is set to midisport 4x4 Out A but I also have choices for midisport 4x4 Out B, New Drum Map and Drum Map Manager. In this case, I want to use a VST Instrument. I do not see anywhere to choose one. So, I see the midi data on my timeline. I see the levels moving up and down with the data so something is registering. I just need to assign an instrument to this. 

Since the instrument is an old Yamaha RX11, there is nothing standard about the key assignments. It isn't where the kick is a C and the snare is a D. It is completely random, which didn't cause an issue in Samplitude. 

Lastly, I just inserted an instrument track. I saw TTS-1 but chose the Yamaha RX11 I mentioned above. I created the track. The interface opened and I pressed a key and heard the sounds.  All good. So, now I have an instrument track with an assigned instrument that is audible. Wouldn't common sense dictate that I copy and paste the midi data from the imported track to this track would cause it to play? It doesn't. My output is set to my Audio Interface Master out. If I go to the drop down and choose selected track outputs, I get a choice of the two midi outputs and the RX11. No matter which I choose, I get nothing.

I have read all of the suggestions above but still cannot hear anything.  Has anyone tried doing what I am doing successfully? If not, I will simply start from scratch.
2018/11/10 16:52:45
Cactus Music
All good. So, now I have an instrument track with an assigned instrument that is audible. Wouldn't common sense dictate that I copy and paste the midi data from the imported track to this track would cause it to play? It doesn't. My output is set to my Audio Interface Master out. If I go to the drop down and choose selected track outputs, I get a choice of the two midi outputs and the RX11. No matter which I choose, I get nothing.

Some things you say here I do not follow. 
First, I'm not sure, is the RX11 a VST instrument or a hardware synth?  https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/10/08/1850/    or https://reverb.com/ca/item/210135-vintage-yamaha-rx11-drum-machine

That would make a big difference.. I'll just assume it's the VST.

Then reading your output assignments also seems wrong. 
Your using an instrument track. I just tried this to test and yes when I move midi data from a midi track to the instrument track I hear nothing... You need to use a midi data track or a simple instrument track which is a combination midi and VST track.  When you insert the VST it will ask you.   
Insert a MIDI track, drag your data there,  assign it's output the the RX11. that should work. 

If the GUI for the RX11 plays sounds then you have all else correctly routed. 
If you double click the midi data track and open the PRV do you hear sounds when you click on the keyboard to the left? that proves you have that output correctly assigned too. 

If you do take the time to follow my tutorial you will learn how to have 100% success in using midi data. 

2018/11/10 17:10:28
trusso11783
Thanks Cactus. I went to your site and I will read your tutorial. One question, where do I choose "simple instrument track"? I do not see that option in Cakewalk but I do recall seeing that in Samplitude. All I see in Advanced tab is Split Instrument.
2018/11/10 17:18:16
Cactus Music
Hate to put it this way , but it's real clear in the tutorial. I made the tutorial as it saves me time explaining long winded details  :) 
Here's the screen shot from my tutorial 

2018/11/10 17:25:27
scook
trusso11783
Thanks Cactus. I went to your site and I will read your tutorial. One question, where do I choose "simple instrument track"?

I believe you are looking at the Instrument tab of the Add Track dialog (scroll down to the "to create instrument track" section) . By default this dialog creates an instrument track.

The "Insert Soft Synth Options" dialog in msg #14 above is used by other methods of adding soft synths to projects.
2018/11/10 17:38:25
trusso11783
Sorry Cactus. I am lost on step one of your tutorial. I downloaded and opened Run For Your Life (great song). I deselected all midi outputs other than Microsoft GS Wavetable. PLayed as you stated. I added the Synth Rack so I could see it. Your tutorial shows to click on Track 10 and "select icon to open TTS-1 GUI."  I do not have that. Your icon is an instrument track icon. I have a midi icon and if I click it, nothing happens. What do I do?

2018/11/10 17:58:28
trusso11783
Cactus Music
Hate to put it this way , but it's real clear in the tutorial. I made the tutorial as it saves me time explaining long winded details  :) 
Here's the screen shot from my tutorial 

My post was written after your last post, which wasn't clear at all and said I need to add a midi data track and simple instrument. Nowhere did you mention "soft synth" which is yet another available option. I inserted an Instrument, not soft synth, based on your comment above so there was no mention of Simple Instrument. I had not looked at the tutorial yet, but I am lost on the very first steps of your tutorial. When I look at my Run For Your Life, it is different than your tutorial. Your first track is SI Drum Kit and mine is Standard Drum Kit (which is your 2nd track). I mentioned in a previous post that your track 10 is an instrument track and mine is a midi track, so nothing happens when i click the icon.  I don't want to skip all of the beginning steps because I will be lost even more than I am now. 

Your response seems to indicate that I am not able to understand simple instructions. Just so you know, I run the IT dept of an huge State run Medical school and have worked in IT for 24 years, am MS Certified, etc etc. so I am not someone who does not understand technical issues. Quite the opposite. But, this tutorial is confusing maybe because it is older or maybe this version of Cakewalk is different than Sonar. Either way, it is hard to follow if anything has changed because as soon as a step is different than what I see now, I will have to skip it and will most likely lead to further confusion later. 

2018/11/10 18:14:16
scook
There are two basic track types audio and MIDI. An instrument track is a hybrid consisting of an audio and MIDI track that presents a MIDI track input section with an audio track output section.

If you create an instance of TTS-1 using the Add Track menu (link in msg #15) and import MIDI into that track it should play.

In the case where MIDI data is imported into a MIDI track, you need a synth and an audio track to be able to play the MIDI data. I describe that process in msg #2 above. This is what it looks like
  • using the "Insert > Soft Synth" menu option,
  • selecting TTS-1,
  • making sure the first synth audio output is selected in "Insert Soft Synth Options" ,
  • closing the TTS-1 UI (to see the tracks),
  • routing the MIDI output to the synth
  • and starting the transport.

Note the audio meter output while the transport is playing.

If you do not see all the drop downs make sure the Track Control drop down (in red box) is set to all

Once they synth has an audio track and MIDI track associated with it, right-click on either track and select "Make Instrument TracK" to merge the two tracks into an instrument track, if desired.

BTW, many disable the MS GS Wavetable Synth in MIDI output device preferences and use TTS-1 whenever GM is needed.
2018/11/10 20:15:08
Cactus Music
Sorry my tutorial didn't work for you. I've had dozens of PM's from people thanking me and saying it was very helpfull. There is very good documentation on this from Cakewalk but most found it was not easy to follow either. Each person learns differently. I'm more than willing to improve it but your the first one who has pointed out any issues. And I'm not sure if anything I use in the tutorial has changed. I even used Home Studio to test some things. 

I will go look at the tutorial and see what's up.. 
2018/11/10 20:22:38
Cactus Music
 which wasn't clear at all and said I need to add a midi data track and simple instrument. Nowhere did you mention "soft synth" which is yet another available option.

I said: 
You need to use a midi data track or a simple instrument track. 

I didn't mention inserting a soft synth as that is kind of obvious otherwise how would you get a instrument track or simple instrument track?  

I see Steve has posted a excellent little video that is super easy to see what we are all trying to say. I hope that works for you. 

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account