• SONAR
  • Importing midi (p.3)
2018/11/10 20:34:44
Cactus Music

2018/11/10 20:42:23
Cactus Music
trusso11783
Sorry Cactus. I am lost on step one of your tutorial. I downloaded and opened Run For Your Life (great song). I deselected all midi outputs other than Microsoft GS Wavetable. PLayed as you stated. I added the Synth Rack so I could see it. Your tutorial shows to click on Track 10 and "select icon to open TTS-1 GUI."  I do not have that. Your icon is an instrument track icon. I have a midi icon and if I click it, nothing happens. What do I do?

OK I see what happened to you,   
You need to unselect ALL outputs ( see screenshot) for TTS-1 to automatically load. You were hearing the file play via the crappy GS wavetable synth. And then nothing else would be right in the tutorial. Please look closely at the screen shot and the text within... 

2018/11/10 21:33:00
trusso11783
Thanks for all of the responses. I am not knocking your tutorial. I am sure you put a lot of work into it. I think a few things have changed though. Take a look at the very first pages. It is probably no big deal if you know your way around cakewalk but if you are trying to figure it all out, any difference in a tutorial and what the user is using will throw them off.

I can easily insert a soft synth and choose simple instrument as I have done hundreds of times in Samplitude and Cakewalk back in the day. I was just in the wrong place and adding an Instrument instead of a Soft Synth.

So, I have no problems with new tracks or anything. My original question about importing or opening the mid file from Samplitude is still the issue. I just had an idea. I  created a new SoftSynth track and chose the Yamaha RX11 vsti. I then imported the midi file from Samplitude midi.  I copied the midi data to the soft synth track and still nothing. What confuses me is that I can play notes and record and it will play. Why does Cakewalk care if I record it now or if the info is copied in? The notes are the same? Now I see the problem. The RX11 kick drum is the A4 key but it is assigned to the C3 key. My guess is that the note information did not follow. I think I read somewhere in the this thread that one should not import a mid file but instead open it.  I think it will just be easier to re-record everything.
2018/11/10 21:44:17
Cactus Music
I'm sorry You keep asking the same question and you still have not followed the instructions which are still the same as when I made the tutorial. You need to CAREFULLY read the instructions. If you follow them it will work. 

I copied the midi data to the soft synth track and still nothing.    
Is this a simple instrument track? 
2018/11/10 22:24:23
scook
Just a few things before getting to what I believe is the problem.

Opening and importing MIDI files do the same thing when it comes to MIDI note and CC data. The recommendation for opening MIDI files instead of importing is to preserve all the MIDI data and automatically load TTS-1 so that the file is ready to play. Often is this is a useful starting point for working with MIDI files. The import process strips out tempo data instead relying on the existing project tempo map. The open process does not strip data from MIDI files.

Given, new data may be recorded and played back means basic synth routing is not the problem.

I think this is the problem - the MIDI files are GM but the drum synth is not. If the drum synth cannot be set to play GM files,  the usual solution in Cakewalk is a drum map. One of the functions of a drum map is translating MIDI notes input to the notes required for the synth. Cakewalk comes with quite a few drum maps but there is not one specifically for the RX11.  Maybe one of the other Yamaha maps will work. If not, you will need to create one if you plan on using GM files with the RX11.
2018/11/10 23:24:06
Cactus Music
Steve might be onto something. If Sampletude is using GM and the VST is using say notes out of range the you won't get sound, When you open PRV and play the notes on the sidebar keyboard are they GM standard? Example the kick should be C3. 
2018/11/11 00:52:52
sock monkey
I was curious, Monkeys often are, and so I downloaded this freebie to see < I have a thing for old drum machines and I played with a guy who used this one  a long time ago. Anyhow the VST is only 32 bit :(
and then something is weird about the install process. Once you un zip the file all you get is a text and a  dll. file,,, OK that is normal but it was huge?? this is not normal.. If you click on it you get the expected note pad showing a bunch of gobbly gook.  So I dropped the dll into my VST folder and Cakewalk found and added it to the list.. But then when I tryed to insert the VST it came up with error dialog box after error dialog box about missing things. Is this not a sample based VST? I would have expected an installer that ran, not a drag and drop. Anyhoo, seems like your typical freebie and like half of them arn't worth the bother. 

Anyhow I think the Cactus guy has the issue, You are trying to dump a midi track into a instrument track which don't work. 
Best to put that in a plain ol' midi track , insert the VST ( I guess you got it to work) and point the midi track at it. 

Hot Tip of the day:
I would try this to prove if this is a GM issue like mR steve is thinking

Insert the SI drums and point the midi file at that. 

Step by step for those whom are on drugs: 
Open a Blank basic project. 
-1 Insert the SI drums choosing Single synth output  open the GUI and make sure it makes sounds when you bash on things with the mouse. 
-2 Insert a blank midi track, check the output is pointed at the SI drums. 
-3 Drag and drop or import the midi data to the midi track. 
In my world this will play the midi file UNLESS the data is out of range of the synth
Open the PVR to check data ,,, open the Event list to look for controllers that might zero volume. . 

2018/11/11 18:48:45
abacab
trusso11783
Sorry Cactus. I am lost on step one of your tutorial. I downloaded and opened Run For Your Life (great song). I deselected all midi outputs other than Microsoft GS Wavetable.

Regarding the tutorial:

Unselect ALL MIDI outputs, including the Microsoft GS Wavetable.  Then try opening up the demo song again.

Hit play and the song should playback as is, using the TTS-1 plugin.  This would be a good point to start the tutorial at now.

Regarding the original question:

If you're not able to hear the MIDI playback from your personal imported/opened MIDI file, but are able to successfully play back the demo song from the tutorial, then the issue likely has something to do with your MIDI file.

A few things to check.

1. If you can bang on the instrument plugin GUI to trigger sounds, then your audio setup for that instrument is good.

2. Then try clicking on the note numbers/keyboard on the left hand side of the piano roll view for the MIDI track.  If you hear sound from your instrument, then that track is routed to your instrument.  But if no sounds are made here, you will need to check that the MIDI track is routed to the correct instrument track.

3. If #1 and #2 above are both good, but your MIDI data will still not play back when copied to the MIDI track you just tested in #2, then I would agree with others that for some reason your MIDI data in the exported file has an issue.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account