2015/11/28 11:52:40
Doktor Avalanche
Doktor Avalanche
Yes the fixes took too long to get out (years) and after this patch we are still seeing issues, ...

Paul P
Issues ?  It doesn't even work

Your patience is remarkable, out of character even.

Well ultimately patching Z3TA+2 was the right thing to do, they could have just let it slide.Whilst this is a PITA I don't want to seem ungrateful. The reputation I get is normally from people who polarise my views rather than what I actually write so I'm not surprised it seems out of character... Thx.
2015/11/28 15:39:45
chakkman
Doktor Avalanche
I'm going to be patient on this one.. It's good news Z3TA+2 was at least not abandoned. I was pretty convinced until last week that it was. Yes the fixes took too long to get out (years) and after this patch we are still seeing issues, not surprised esp with the enhancements supplied in this release (was surprised to see this as well) and past history.

I am hoping the development strategy has been changed now to be more inline with Sonar. In Z3TA+2's favour here enhancements aren't really required now (sadly Rap Pro still needs them mainly with sample file management, but at least there is a limited scope). Hopefully there will now be a few iterations of bug fixes to get this product finally finished, hopefully they will be a lot speedier, maybe their next generation of plugins won't get such a bumpy ride.

Agreed. I hope Cakewalk does it right now, and really tries to nail out the issues. There are a lot of them, still. Z3TA 2 is a killer synth, if CW gets the bugs fixed, then it's right in line with the best synths out there. Feature wise it already beats everything in my VST Folder. So please Cakewalk, don't do things by halves, this synth really deserves it. :)
2015/11/28 16:19:26
John Joseph [Cakewalk]
Hi All,

I assume most of us were doing Thanksgiving related stuff, so sorry about the lack of response to this. Is this happening in any DAW where Z3TA+ 2 was in the project as a VST2?

If it's just Sonar, a POSSIBLE workaround (I'm really not sure if it will work at the moment) might be to change the file extension from .vst3 to .dll. That way Sonar might pick it up as a VST2 and potentially resolve your issue (not sure about other DAWs.) 

Then again maybe it's not the best idea to mess around with files...

- John
2015/11/28 16:26:16
Doktor Avalanche
Thanks John for taking time to comment during your break. Will try tomorrow. Get back to the Turkey I suggest you all deserve a break anyway,and I need beer.
2015/11/28 16:34:54
Adq
John Joseph [Cakewalk]
Hi All,

I assume most of us were doing Thanksgiving related stuff, so sorry about the lack of response to this. Is this happening in any DAW where Z3TA+ 2 was in the project as a VST2?

If it's just Sonar, a POSSIBLE workaround (I'm really not sure if it will work at the moment) might be to change the file extension from .vst3 to .dll. That way Sonar might pick it up as a VST2 and potentially resolve your issue (not sure about other DAWs.) 

Then again maybe it's not the best idea to mess around with files...

- John

It doesn't matter VST3 or VST2. I mean I didn't do VST rescan when I install 2.2, so it tried to load VST2, and it produced error.
2015/11/28 16:51:30
Midiboy
Yeah, at first I thought it was the VST3 as opposed to being 2, but I had the options to replace VST2 with VST3 when available.  I unchecked that and the VST2 still has the issues.   Basically, long story short...the 2.2 version doesn't pick up whatever patch you had selected in previous sessions with 2.1.  Not sure if it affects other DAWs.  That's not an option for me to check.  
2015/11/28 17:55:55
adrian.crossan

Is this happening in any DAW where Z3TA+ 2 was in the project as a VST2?

Yes, Ableton Live here. I suspect the problem is the 2.2 version is not reading the Z3TA+ 2 program data out of the application files (.cwp, .als, etc.) correctly.
2015/11/28 18:41:19
wetdentist
yep. i just had to roll back to 2.1 because 2.2 doesn't work.  it is wicked broken

2015/11/29 06:51:34
AndreyB
Same thing here. Actually I have two z3ta+2 installations: the normal and the Virus-mod. I'm having the same issue with "normal" z3ta+2 with older projects, but Virus-mod loads just fine (obviously it was not updated as it sits in it's own separate folder). I suggest if you are experienced user you could try a temporary workaround (WARNING1: I have not tried it yet, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, and I don't know how it will behave with VST3's. WARNING2: since it's a temporary workaround, all your projects done WITH this workaround will have missing z3ta+2 synths AFTERWARDS, when the official fix for 2.2 will be available. To me, no big deal because you can save needful patches if you need them after said fix, but YMMV). 

0. Back up your installations, etc, etc. I suggest backing up
- "Cakewalk Content\Z3ta+2",
- your whole "VstPlugins" folder(s)
- and VST3 folder(s) which sit in "C:\Program Files\Common Files".
Please keep in mind that on x64 systems there are two "Program Files" folders, for x64 and x86. I will be referencing to x64 paths only to keep things clearer and since I never installed x86 versions of z3ta.

1. Since Sonar allows multiple instances of the same VSTis, you can copy your NEW 2.2 z3ta+2 to a folder in VstPlugins (say, "z3ta+2_new"). Now you will have two z3ta folders in your VstPlugins path. It should look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins\Z3TA+ 2"
"C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins\Z3TA+ 2_new"
(Obviously, if you have a custom Vstplugins path, do it there instead).

2. Go to your "VstPlugins\Z3TA+ 2_new" folder and rename the dll from "Z3TA+ 2_64.dll" to "Z3TA+ 2_64_new.dll". Now (might be unnecessary! but I would have done that to be sure) go to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Z3TA+ 2" and do the same there.

3. Roll back z3ta+2 to 2.1 (it will roll back z3ta+2 sitting in the default folder, but will leave your "z3ta+2_new" unchanged).

Now, you could skip steps 4 and 5 and try and go straight to 6, but if doesn't work, do the steps 4 and 5.

4. Go to "Cakewalk Content\Z3TA+ 2" folder and copy everything (patches, arpeggiator, etc) from it to:
"C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins\Z3TA+ 2"
"C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins\Z3TA+ 2_new"
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Z3TA+ 2" (again, might be unnecessary - but still).

5. Delete contents of "Cakewalk Content\Z3TA+ 2" OR BETTER just rename it to some other name so Z3ta+2 would not find it's content there and would search in it's VstPlugins folders instead.

6. Start Sonar and perform a VST scan. You should now have two Z3ta+2 instances, one called Z3ta+2 64, and the other Z3ta+2 64_new.
How it should work: your older projects will load "Z3ta+2 64.dll" from "VstPlugins\Z3TA+ 2" which is v2.1, and you can try your new "Z3ta+2 64_new" which is v2.2.

Now, since I personally almost never return to my older projects AND I definitely love the new Z3ta+2 (the fix for the nasty LFO sync/waveshaper bug is finally here, yay!), I don't see the point of doing it myself. Sorry about that, you'll have to test it on your own. But - again - my Virusmod Z3ta+2 loads fine, so this should work. Please comment if any steps are unclear how to perform them. I hope this can be helpful to someone.
2015/11/29 08:08:17
mettelus
I have been so caught up in things I have not even opened the new Z3TA yet. Does it have a VST2 version as well? I am wondering if disabling the "VST3 migration" in SONAR preferences would allow for older projects to be loaded with the VST2 version (i.e., SONAR wouldn't "swap it out," but use the newer version), but grasping at straws here.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account