2016/04/04 01:56:14
christian.landstrom
Only thing that is a little annoying is that update center wants to update backwards, from v22 to 21. But minor issue, working great otherwise and I like the idea.
2016/04/04 12:21:38
FanCake
There was already another thread about this and I think the reaction was good.

If I was to nitpick I would say make sure at least basic release notes get supplied simultaneously and don't be afraid to call it a beta rather than an Early Access Program. The ezine was supplied however within 24 hours of release. It wasn't a bad first run at it so QDOS to Cakewalk.
2016/04/04 12:33:54
John
"Don't be afraid to call it a beta"? 

It isn't a beta so it shouldn't be called that. All you are doing is confusing the definition of terms. That is not helpful. 
2016/04/04 13:30:41
FanCake
FanCake

If I was to nitpick I would say make sure at least basic release notes get supplied simultaneously and don't be afraid to call it a beta rather than an Early Access Program. The ezine was supplied however within 24 hours of release. It wasn't a bad first run at it so QDOS to Cakewalk.

John

It isn't a beta so it shouldn't be called that. All you are doing is confusing the definition of terms. That is not helpful. 

I already said "if I was to nitpick" and now you edit that out to emphasis your point, make me look as though I am pushing it hard, and call me "not helpful" without giving any real reason whatsoever. Why can these forums be sometimes so aggressive?

From my pov, there is nothing derogatory whatsoever about assigning a status. Calling it a beta does not make the product inferior, and that's why I said "don't be afraid". It could also be called a "release candidate" but that doesn't really encourage a call to arms. I observe fixes have already been put in place before final release, and that is to be expected and is actually very good news indeed. What actually matters is the final release.

But as I said I was "nitpicking", I also gave a point of view, and you appear to think I should not be allowed to give it. I also said QDOS to Cakewalk, just in case you forgot, because I think they've handled all this pretty well. You decide however to make a "silly argument" out of it. Can we avoid this in future please as it is not constructive and a total waste of time. If you have another pov then fine, but there's no need to be rude.
2016/04/04 13:45:50
notscruffy2
And Ta-Da we have a silly one....
2016/04/04 13:55:24
tenfoot
There was a link to basic release notes posted in the early release announcement thread before the Ezine was released. 

http://forum.cakewalk.com/The-Early-Access-Program-is-Now-Live-for-the-Upcoming-Release-of-SONAR-201603-m3393487.aspx

2016/04/04 14:01:55
FanCake
tenfoot
There was a link to basic release notes posted in the early release announcement thread before the Ezine was released. 

http://forum.cakewalk.com/The-Early-Access-Program-is-Now-Live-for-the-Upcoming-Release-of-SONAR-201603-m3393487.aspx

I think it came out after release as it wasn't brought up in the other thread when it was being discussed. Regardless it doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong, I'm certainly not complaining, the release has gone pretty smooth which is the main thing and the all important big picture.
2016/04/04 14:08:27
John
FanCake
FanCake

John

I already said "if I was to nitpick" and now you edit that out to emphasis your point, make me look as though I am pushing it hard, and call me "not helpful" without giving any real reason whatsoever. Why can these forums be sometimes so aggressive?

From my pov, there is nothing derogatory whatsoever about assigning a status. Calling it a beta does not make the product inferior, and that's why I said "don't be afraid". It could also be called a "release candidate" but that doesn't really encourage a call to arms. I observe fixes have already been put in place before final release, and that is to be expected and is actually very good news indeed. What actually matters is the final release.

But as I said I was "nitpicking", I also gave a point of view, and you appear to think I should not be allowed to give it. I also said QDOS to Cakewalk, just in case you forgot, because I think they've handled all this pretty well. You decide however to make a "silly argument" out of it. Can we avoid this in future please as it is not constructive and a total waste of time. If you have another pov then fine, but there's no need to be rude.

I don't care what your reasoning is its called early release.  Nor do I care much about your point of view.  All you have done is put that idea in the minds of the readers. Its so much like what went on when the membership program was introduced. It caused havoc and required constant education on what the program really was. This thread is meant to prevent that kind of thing from getting started.  

I believe that is your intention here. I ask you to act responsibly and refrain from posting false information.

Instead try helping with a problem a member is having. Answer questions that you know the answer to. Be a helpful member. If that is not why you are here then you may be asked to leave.  
2016/04/04 14:11:12
tenfoot
FanCake
tenfoot

I think it came out after release as it wasn't brought up in the other thread when it was being discussed. Regardless it doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong, I'm certainly not complaining, the release has gone pretty smooth which is the main thing and the all important big picture.

It was certainly there by the time I downloaded it but I am on the other side of the world so I may have been late to the party:)

2016/04/04 14:50:20
Anderton
As to beta vs. early release vs. release candidate vs. whatever, the reason for any confusion is basically the same problem we had with membership vs. subscription - something was being done that didn't fit into a conventional definition. The traditional progression for a release is:

beta > release candidate > official release

Cakewalk has modified that to:

beta > release candidate > early access release > official release

Given the above, it's not really a beta, it's not really a release candidate, it's not the official release, and in theory, changes won't be made to an early access release (although in this case, they were).

So, I'm fine with doing the neologism thing and calling it "early release."

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account