2016/11/18 16:28:22
razor
Hello All--

I finally have the funds to get an SSD for my DAW. I have a ton of HDD storage (6.5 TB) and just wanted to get a 2nd opinion on the best placement for the new SSD.

Currently, my system (OS, programs, etc.) are on one physical HDD, and my CW project folders are on a different physical HDD. Boot time for my PC, as well as opening Sonar have been getting progressively slower, but I haven't seen a problem with running Sonar once everything's up and running.

My plan with the new SSD is use it to replace the system/OS HDD, and leave the CW project folders on the 2nd physical HDD. 

Do you think that's the best use of the new SSD? I recently replaced my laptop HDD with an SSD and my life has improved exponentially :-p

Can't wait for my DAW to get the upgrade!
2016/11/18 16:34:19
soens
razor
My plan with the new SSD is use it to replace the system/OS HDD, and leave the CW project folders on the 2nd physical HDD. 

YES! As long as it's no less than 250GB, IMO.
2016/11/18 16:38:01
razor
soens
razor

Good point. I'm actually getting a deal on a 1TB SSD (960 GBs) so I'm sure to have enough storage for everything on my current HDD.

Was your comment because of the potential of running out of space on the SSD if it's in the system drive role?
2016/11/18 16:43:58
BassDaddy
soens
razor

I think that's the correct answer.
2016/11/18 19:23:59
soens
I'll add that I wouldn't go bigger than 512GB for the OS. If you do I recommend partitioning it. 300GB has always served me well for the OS drive, but windows can create endless bloat so run cclean often.
2016/11/19 09:32:42
Jim Roseberry
Keep in mind that SSD (unlike conventional HD) doesn't slow down as it gets full... so you can use all 250GB without performance penalty.  250GB doesn't sound like a lot by today's standards... but that can hold a LOT of programs and plugins.

SSD is nice as a boot drive.

If you're using disk-streaming sample-libraries, that's where SSD really shines.

2016/11/22 20:42:54
Vastman
What Jim said... If u can afford it, get a 1TB and u'll have plenty of space for your favorite sample libraries... REALLY speeds up load time. Omnisphere and others will benifit also, especially with elaborate multies like Skippy creates. Or when you design a Kontakt templates with lots of load time... it just becomes "nice" and quick...

Using up your slots with dinky drives just doesn't make sense anymore with the huge drop in prices...U'll ultimately replace them as you accumulate goodies and need more space... here's an "Enhanced Reactor"  1TB Muskin for 229$!
2016/12/08 18:26:40
razor
Bought myself my new SSD for Christmas. Now I just have to wait for my wife to give it to me. ;-)

Very excited!
2016/12/08 19:05:32
abacab
razor
Bought myself my new SSD for Christmas. Now I just have to wait for my wife to give it to me. ;-)

Very excited!

Another thing to consider, as I did, is how much used space do I want to have on my system/program drive?  It is a 250GB SSD, but I prefer to keep it lean, about 80GB used.

Here is why.  I do full disk image backups on my system drive once or twice a month.  The image software only copies used disk sectors.  This keeps my external USB backup drive capacity requirements lower, as well as the time it takes to create an image file. 

So it really comes down to your preferences.  I could load up the system drive with everything, and take that into account for imaging.  I do currently have my OS, programs, and plugins all on the SSD.  I find that the system, and Sonar, is very responsive that way.  I have all Sonar content folders, loops, samples, etc, on a spinning drive.  I don't use streaming libraries, but Jim makes a very good point for that use case!
2016/12/08 21:44:44
razor
abacab
razor

Very excited!

Another thing to consider, as I did, is how much used space do I want to have on my system/program drive?  It is a 250GB SSD, but I prefer to keep it lean, about 80GB used.

Here is why.  I do full disk image backups on my system drive once or twice a month.  The image software only copies used disk sectors.  This keeps my external USB backup drive capacity requirements lower, as well as the time it takes to create an image file. 

So it really comes down to your preferences.  I could load up the system drive with everything, and take that into account for imaging.  I do currently have my OS, programs, and plugins all on the SSD.  I find that the system, and Sonar, is very responsive that way.  I have all Sonar content folders, loops, samples, etc, on a spinning drive.  I don't use streaming libraries, but Jim makes a very good point for that use case!

I have a 1 TB SSD and I'm only imaging whats on my system drive, which is about half of that, so I should be good to go.

The HDD I'm imaging is 2 TB, so I'm thinking of dedicating it to system backups.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account