2016/12/08 22:08:45
abacab
razor
abacab
razor
Bought myself my new SSD for Christmas. Now I just have to wait for my wife to give it to me. ;-)

Very excited!

Another thing to consider, as I did, is how much used space do I want to have on my system/program drive?  It is a 250GB SSD, but I prefer to keep it lean, about 80GB used.

Here is why.  I do full disk image backups on my system drive once or twice a month.  The image software only copies used disk sectors.  This keeps my external USB backup drive capacity requirements lower, as well as the time it takes to create an image file. 

So it really comes down to your preferences.  I could load up the system drive with everything, and take that into account for imaging.  I do currently have my OS, programs, and plugins all on the SSD.  I find that the system, and Sonar, is very responsive that way.  I have all Sonar content folders, loops, samples, etc, on a spinning drive.  I don't use streaming libraries, but Jim makes a very good point for that use case!

I have a 1 TB SSD and I'm only imaging whats on my system drive, which is about half of that, so I should be good to go.

The HDD I'm imaging is 2 TB, so I'm thinking of dedicating it to system backups.

Enjoy!  You are just gonna love watching your system boot in 10-15 seconds or so, as well as launching Sonar in a blink
2016/12/10 18:54:52
rj davis
Jim recently built me a DAW with a 250MB SSD boot drive.  I've got Sonar and all my plugins on it, and it is stunning.  Rock solid and blindingly fast...
2016/12/10 19:04:02
abacab
I hear ya!  There's no going back, LOL!

I can barely tolerate my laptop now because of the slow spinning drive.  Spoiled ... yup!

I would upgrade the laptop to SSD, but that would require a complete teardown because the drive is under the motherboard, and there is no access from the bottom panel :-(
2016/12/10 19:14:57
razor
rj davis
Jim recently built me a DAW with a 250MB SSD boot drive.  I've got Sonar and all my plugins on it, and it is stunning.  Rock solid and blindingly fast...

When ADK was building my DAW they recommend an SSD, but I needed to save money, and I work for a hard drive company.

Recently, my company bought an SSD company, so I get discounts on SSD's! Woo hoo!

I'm ready for the perfect DAW!
2016/12/10 19:54:48
abacab
The SSD is the single biggest performance booster I have seen recently.  It won't make your CPU or RAM any faster, but from what I've observed, my CPU and RAM never run beyond 50%, usually much less.  But now things on the SSD respond like they virtually are in RAM ...

I have been building my own PC's for over 15 years, and the technology has mostly improved in increments.  This one is a big leap
2016/12/19 21:15:23
Vastman
best bang... distribute your most used libraries among several SSD's... If u have 3, Kontakt/play/? load times will be up to 3 times faster than if all were on a single SSD
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account