2016/03/04 16:53:14
jpetersen
Last time I was too excited.
2016/03/04 16:56:39
azslow3
jpetersen
If the analytics can reveal what features the wider usership actually uses, the Bakers will be able to bypass the bug reports (posted by a limited usership) and focus on those bugs that really stand in the average user's way.

That is not the plan
(before in this thread)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
tenfoot
Another thought is that there is a problem report section of your forum stacked with posts from users who took the time to analyse and report bugs. That might be a good place to start if you are looking for relevent feedback that will vastly improve Sonar!

That's a completely different kind of data and we have a bug tracking system dedicated to that already. Analytics doesn't collect info about bugs (even thought it could as a subset), rather it collects other data that gives us direct insight into how users use the software. Other than by manually interviewing and observing thousands of users around the world there is absolutely no way for us to learn this.

2016/03/04 16:58:53
FanCake
jpetersen
Please, please, just one request:

Make it clear from which version this will be included in.

FanCake
Don't you read the ezines?

jpetersen
Last time I was too excited.

Pray for a really dull release.
2016/03/04 17:04:00
jpetersen
Duller than Newburyport? :)

Normally I read about the new features whilst trying them at the same time.
So your warning is well taken. In future: Read first, then install.
2016/03/04 17:08:24
jpetersen
azslow3
jpetersen
If the analytics can reveal what features the wider usership actually uses, the Bakers will be able to bypass the bug reports (posted by a limited usership) and focus on those bugs that really stand in the average user's way.

That is not the plan
(before in this thread)
tenfoot
Another thought is that there is a problem report section of your forum stacked with posts from users who took the time to analyse and report bugs. That might be a good place to start if you are looking for relevent feedback that will vastly improve Sonar!

That's a completely different kind of data and we have a bug tracking system dedicated to that already. Analytics doesn't collect info about bugs (even thought it could as a subset), rather it collects other data that gives us direct insight into how users use the software. Other than by manually interviewing and observing thousands of users around the world there is absolutely no way for us to learn this.

Oh. H'm. That's kinda weird.
2016/03/04 17:43:56
jpetersen
OK, I have read this thread from the start and I have an inkling what this is about.

I hope at least some of my bugs get fixed before this is released, because the version before shall be the last one I install.

Edit: OK, Noel says Off means off. No data logged at all. Good enough for me.
2016/03/04 17:44:04
No we aren't using Microsoft's analytics support although it is cool. 
We have our own crossplatform analytics SDK that was developed in-house and already tested with another product.
Its very lightweight, simple and geared towards what we're trying to do better.
2016/03/04 18:01:53
Beepster
I am not ignoring this thread. Rough day. Rough night.

And Vastman.... you know nothing.

I was not "camping" this thread. Look at the time stamps.

I was preparing, eating and clearing my dinner as I posted here last night.

I NEEDED to get to bed for the doctor crap I was talking about. I am sorry but sometimes the risk of vital organs exploding takes precedence over my "duties" here.

I am now covered in damned wires and spent the morning getting poked and prodded by strangers if that makes you feel any better.

I'll try to post a proper commentary on this maybe tomorrow to alleviate your concern that somehow I did all that just to... IDK... troll? After all these years?

Ugh.

Edit: And I just realized the possible poetic irony of this. Beepster analytics anyone? lulz

FML
2016/03/04 18:25:37
M@
Well;
In my opinion for the collected data to have even the slightest bit of meaning:
- CW needs to know exactly what percentage of all Sonar users have (stayed) opted in.
- They will need to know if at any given time a 'series of data' is collected if the user's actions lead to succes or to failure (from the users point of view!) .... or if certain (series of) actions were due to other actions taken before with succes or failure.
- They would need to know what type of customer the user is.

Seems to me that this is the wrong approach for collecting data with the purpose of analysing and improving user experiences.

!
I believe a better approach would be to have a daily/weekly/monthly theme or question which would be presented to the users that opted-in to helping. (On the new start-screen for example)
Then the users that really do participate will give feedback to that specific question only....and as soon as the user submits his response to the question/theme the collected data for that session (mouse-travel, amount of clicks, menu's opened & closed, etc. or whatever data CW is interested in) will be submitted together with the user's experience described in words.

THAT will give CW real focused insight.

The daily question could be simple or complicated.....doesn't matter. It should be specific though.
(i.e. are the buttons for function XYZ too small for your touchscreen?  User answer yes: Data logged also shows users multiple times clicking next to function XYZ by 5 pixels so they know how much larger the buttons must be.)

The people opting in do not need to respond each and every day/week/month.....but in this scenario even rewards for the amount of feedback given makes sense......people spend time actively contributing to answering the questions CW are actually really after.......not just 'dead' data being logged.

Even though this approach sounds similar to what people are already actively contributing in the features&requests and bug-reports forum this is not the same....there users are expressing their own thoughts; not answering CW's questions.

Also CW could then in certain cases contact certain users directly for additional feedback. I guess that's what the new feedback feature will be about?!
Maybe I'm thinking too simple or too complicated and this might not work at all.......but right now that's just:
my 2cents.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account