2016/03/03 18:32:24
John T
I didn't insult anyone.
2016/03/03 18:34:37
Beepster
John T
I didn't insult anyone.

Reread your posts. You preemptively insulted anyone who may have a problem with this by insinuating they're tinfoily nutjobs.

I have a problem with this and my "tinfoily" reasons are WAY down the list.
2016/03/03 18:36:40
John T
That's not my intention. I've no idea whether you've got sensible objections to this or not. You may well. Indeed, anyone may well raise an objection that would change my mind. That's entirely possible.

However, what I guarantee, is that there will be some tinfoily nonsense said about this. Come on, you know this is true.
2016/03/03 18:39:14
panup
OK for me.
Cakewalk is a well trusted company. I'll turn analytics on without doubt.
2016/03/03 18:42:35
John T
panup
OK for me.
Cakewalk is a well trusted company. I'll turn analytics on without doubt.

That's the thing for me. They don't operate in a shady manner. I would be extremely surprised if they suddenly started doing so.
2016/03/03 18:43:29
Beepster
John T
That's not my intention. I've no idea whether you've got sensible objections to this or not. You may well. Indeed, anyone may well raise an objection that would change my mind. That's entirely possible.

However, what I guarantee, is that there will be some tinfoily nonsense said about this. Come on, you know this is true.

I will explain further when I have more time to do so diplomatically and don't have a million other things on my mind (not tinfoil... just in case you were wondering).

Cheers.
2016/03/03 18:57:27
Anderton
People are already being tracked in lots of ways they don't know about. The difference with Cakewalk is they're saying they plan to introduce analytics, and provide a way to turn it off. I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with a friend asking me to pick up some dog food because they're sick, so I look for the nearest Petco and from that day on, Chrome thinks I want dog sweaters, leashes, and chewy treats.

I can see how this relates to the updates. Suppose if after the Start Screen had been introduced, 80% of the feedback showed that people tried it and then turned it off. Conversely, if every one uses patch points, that indicates the type of feature people want. But I assume some of the most useful data would be pinpointing the source of crashes...if the analytics are done right, not only would Cakewalk have the crash dump, they would know exactly what led up to it. I think that would make reproducing crashes much easier.

Someone suggested this in the forums a while back, and I thought it was a good idea. As long as enough people opt in to provide meaningful data, I don't see any down side...and this from a guy who usually has location services turned off on my iPhone 

2016/03/03 19:32:46
tenfoot
I certainly have no trouble trusting Cakewalk .  The only comment that I would make (and it is admittedly from a purely selfish point of view)  is that,  like all software,  there are no doubt many more casual users/dabblers that use Sonar than there are people who use it productively. Add to that the likelihood that experienced computer users are far more likely to turn data collection features off -   I hope in the aftermath of all of the skewed feedback we don't see a dumbing down of Sonar with 300 new features like the insert track button

Not that I am against dabbling.  It is in fact what I do in almost all software except Sonar where I happen to do my work:) 
2016/03/03 19:38:34
rcklln
Default should be turned off with incentive to participate.

Edited to add: At the point of adding this comment, my emails indicate there have been 11 votes, 9 thumbs up, 2 thumbs down. What's being displayed is 11 votes, 7 thumbs up, 4 thumbs down. Weird. 
2016/03/03 19:39:59
Beepster
tenfoot
I certainly have no trouble trusting sonar.  The only comment that I would make (and it is admittedly from a purely selfish point of view)  is that,  like all software,  there are no doubt many more casual users/dabblers that use Sonar than there are people who use it productively. Add to that the likelihood that experienced computer users are far more likely to turn data collection features off -   I hope in the aftermath of all of the skewed feedback we don't seem a dumbing down of Sonar with 300 new features like the insert a track button

Yes, thank you. One of the many points I was going to make.

Again my apologies but I am trying to stuff my face so I can go to bed and get up super early to go have my "valves" inspected.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account