2016/03/05 17:35:20
Anderton
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Haha scook, judging from your knowledge of the product, your profile would probably indicate that every feature was important :)

When I'm developing a sample library or loop library with hundreds of tracks, each containing one clip a few seconds long, I'll probably break your system...
2016/03/05 19:30:03
MandolinPicker
I see a couple of issues at play here. In my mind the folks at Cakewalk have done the right thing on several levels, including:
  • The have outlined what data they intend to collect. Unlike other software developers who tried to keep their data collection secret, Cakewalk has been open and honest. That speaks well of the company and the developers behind it.
  • Users have the option to submit the data anonymously, or to completely shut it off. Again, Cakewalk appears to recognize that the software is yours unlike some other other software companies who collect data whether you want them to or not. With some other companies the only way to prevent them from collecting data is to disconnect from the net. Cakewalk is showing respect to its users, giving them options to control their data submissions; from identifying the user to anonymous collection through no data collection at all.
  • There is an old adage that if you are not collecting data on what you are doing, you don't know how well you are doing it. This is nothing new. In medicine we collect data all the time, on everything. Things we thought we knew, we found out later have been wrong, only because we collected the data. While recording software is typically not a 'life or death' product, the concept is the same. Data collection will help them see where they are, and that can lead to improvement.
  • There is little doubt that the folks who post on this board are some of the more impassioned users of the software. However, they are likely not only the minority of the users of the board (I would guess that the majority of the users on the board simply read the various forums and never sign up, much less post). They are most definitely in the minority of total Sonar users. It makes little sense for Cakewalk not to work on methods that will help them learn how the largest part of their user base utilizes the software.
In my mind as long as Cakewalk has been honest and upfront with me (as well as everyone on this forum) about how they intend to use my data. They are providing methods that allow me to control it (including having the option to turn it off). As such they will continue to receive my business.
2016/03/05 20:08:00
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
MandolinPicker
  • There is an old adage that if you are not collecting data on what you are doing, you don't know how well you are doing it. This is nothing new. In medicine we collect data all the time, on everything. Things we thought we knew, we found out later have been wrong, only because we collected the data. While recording software is typically not a 'life or death' product, the concept is the same. Data collection will help them see where they are, and that can lead to improvement.

Interesting that you mention this. I use a CPAP device and for insurance purposes its mandatory for users to submit usage data. The device has a built in 3g modem that transmits metrics every morning on your usage and sleep patterns. You can log in to the portal and see details about your sleep over several months. The backend will even detect problems and email you if didn't use the device properly. It emailed me one morning to tell me there was a leak with instructions on how to fix it! I first found it a bit creepy but I now find it pretty cool and a useful diagnostic tool.

Imagine if a user had recurring dropouts and the next time you open the Start screen you have a tip that shows you how to resolve dropouts. Or we could give them tips that are specific to their audio interface. These are some basic examples of how this data could be used to intuitively guide the user into a resolution. 

There is a lot that we can learn from how other industries are using metrics like this. In the IoT world which is the next big thing, there is a huge amount of research going into this very subject.
2016/03/05 20:10:31
ampfixer
Could it be that many people don't like analystics because they feel that they are being judged? Could you be one of the people that use 3 clicks to accomplish something that could be done with 1 or 2 clicks. Loser. 

Nobody likes to think they are being observed and judged, but we can get over it. No single person is that important and each of us is a puzzle piece. There's no picture unless you get enough pieces, and a single piece is of little use.

Measure me if you want, I'm a size 11 triple E in a recreational shoe.
2016/03/05 20:36:50
rabeach
Please place me in the laissez-faire side of the camp on this matter. :-)
2016/03/05 20:51:48
skinnybones lampshade
Something that concerns me: There are certain features in Platinum that I am hoping fervently will be improved/unmuddled in time, and I try to await these improvements as patiently as possible, realizing that my particular wishes aren't necessarily high priority items.

In the meantime, though, I tend to avoid using those features that frustrate me because they, well, frustrate me and get me out of the flow of getting things done as pleasantly as possible. It seems to be that the very features that are very meaningful to me can frustrate me the most (hmmm.... seems like a relationship song is lurking in there somewhere).

The day they are improved, though, I will begin to wear those features out with overuse.

Analytics would show that skinnybones rarely uses, say, Staff View or Take Lanes or Audio Snap, but not why. It might be logical to conclude that if Staff View isn't being used, it's proof that nobody wants it. The truth might be that I'm dying to use it much much more, but am waiting for the day that it is given a facelift (I'm only using Staff View as an example; I know there have been some improvements made to it recently).  

I have seen statistics used by important people in the forums as arguments to justify not updating certain features - I don't want to unwittingly contribute to statistics against the very features I'm hoping will someday be improved.

I am not against Analytics per se, but something about it makes me a little uneasy. Thanks for wading through this.

LJ

2016/03/05 21:09:27
rabeach
skinnybones lampshade
Something that concerns me: There are certain features in Platinum that I am hoping fervently will be improved/unmuddled in time, and I try to await these improvements as patiently as possible, realizing that my particular wishes aren't necessarily high priority items.

In the meantime, though, I tend to avoid using those features that frustrate me because they, well, frustrate me and get me out of the flow of getting things done as pleasantly as possible. It seems to be that the very features that are very meaningful to me can frustrate me the most (hmmm.... seems like a relationship song is lurking in there somewhere).

The day they are improved, though, I will begin to wear those features out with overuse.

Analytics would show that skinnybones rarely uses, say, Staff View or Take Lanes or Audio Snap, but not why. It might be logical to conclude that if Staff View isn't being used, it's proof that nobody wants it. The truth might be that I'm dying to use it much much more, but am waiting for the day that it is given a facelift (I'm only using Staff View as an example; I know there have been some improvements made to it recently).  

I have seen statistics used by important people in the forums as arguments to justify not updating certain features - I don't want to unwittingly contribute to statistics against the very features I'm hoping will someday be improved.

I am not against Analytics per se, but something about it makes me a little uneasy. Thanks for wading through this.

LJ

All good points but imho it would not be in their best interest to interpret the data in that way.

2016/03/05 22:00:04
Paul P
Anderton
Just participate anonymously. There's no way CW can tie data back to you if you do that. To know who you are, you have to opt in to connect your user account to your activity.

Unfortunately, the age of trusting what someone claims is long gone and we all know who's to blame for that.  I have nothing in particular against Cakewalk, only that they are promoting their participation in a trend that rubs me the wrong way.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't like being tracked in any way, shape or form and I feel obliged to voice my opinion, which was solicited.
2016/03/05 22:07:12
Anderton
skinnybones lampshade

Just remember it's just one set of data points. Cakewalk says they don't plan to stop the other ways they have of gauging user sentiment. I would think each type of data has its own part to play. For example you can't type comments with analytics, but you can in a user survey. 
2016/03/05 22:11:01
Anderton
Paul P
I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't like being tracked in any way, shape or form and I feel obliged to voice my opinion, which was solicited.

Well as I said, I turn off location services on my phone. But that's because I'm uniquely identified with that phone. If you choose the anonymous option, Cakewalk won't be tracking you, they'll be tracking program usage. For all they know, a cat somewhere in Iceland is running up and down the keyboard .
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account