2016/03/05 23:15:40
stevec
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]

Interesting that you mention this. I use a CPAP device and for insurance purposes its mandatory for users to submit usage data. The device has a built in 3g modem that transmits metrics every morning on your usage and sleep patterns. You can log in to the portal and see details about your sleep over several months. The backend will even detect problems and email you if didn't use the device properly. It emailed me one morning to tell me there was a leak with instructions on how to fix it! I first found it a bit creepy but I now find it pretty cool and a useful diagnostic tool.

Huh... my wife does the same thing!   Every month they and she look at the stats for all sleep pattern data to make sure everything is as it should be.   She absolutely hates the machine, but there's no denying the system works - she's had to change masks twice, partially based on instinct and partially based on that data (which backed up her instinct).

2016/03/06 00:20:39
Paul P

We might as well just lie down and let someone else take care of our lives.

2016/03/06 01:43:09
Snehankur
Anderton
skinnybones lampshade
I am not against Analytics per se, but something about it makes me a little uneasy. Thanks for wading through this.

Just remember it's just one set of data points. Cakewalk says they don't plan to stop the other ways they have of gauging user sentiment. I would think each type of data has its own part to play. For example you can't type comments with analytics, but you can in a user survey. 

Analytic will take the usage pattern - but what about the thought of the user? what they are thinking or feeling about Sonar? What they are wanting? What they wish to have in Sonar?

Regards
Snehankur
2016/03/06 03:33:58
Kamikaze
AllanH
I hope you'll think through the analytics data you get. Other vendors have done the same thing, and the general conclusion (from my experience), that Analytics is excellent to understand usage, but is useless to determine features.

I few specifics: I wish notation worked well. I gave up on Sonar's notation a while ago and have switched to the PRV. Analytics would indicate that I don't use Notation and that it should not be enhanced. This is exactly the wrong conclusion.

I've seen other vendors switch to a voting system where user-proposals for enhancements are documented and voted on. I think I saw a note about something like that in an eZine a few months back.

I would suggest you focus on what your customers would like instead of what they do currently.

This is my concern. It's been raised a few times in this thread. I am also disappointed by the lack of movement with Staff View, and I also use PRV in general. Some of the ideas I have for using Staff View just don't happen. So Cakewalk will see that I don't use it, when it and more compositional tools such as some chord tool are exactly what I want Cake to invest time in.

I can only hope that as they pick up new customers that come to use staff, they will be able to see they struggle, that it's not intuitive, and in some cases give up. But for the existing users that have given up already, I can't see how it will know what areas they may have given up on already and in some cases use alternatives outside of Sonar to make up for the failing.

I would like to see more communication regards the feature request section of the forum, especially as so little seems to come to anything, that it makes me wonder why bother contributing.

2016/03/06 06:46:23
John T
Paul P

I think the forum should start having an annual Overstated Case Award. And I know it's only March, but I'm saying this is 2016's winner right now.
2016/03/06 07:46:05
bapu
"Paranoia, the destroyer." ~The Kinks
2016/03/06 07:49:13
John T
It's just like Orwell predicted. One day, UI enhancements, the next, fascism. Follows like night follows day.
2016/03/06 07:57:15
irvin
John T
It's just like Orwell predicted. One day, UI enhancements, the next, fascism. Follows like night follows day.

True, for as long as there are loyal soldiers like you, willing to kill and be killed for a cause they trust, but can never understand.
2016/03/06 08:47:27
pwalpwal
John T
Paul P

I think the forum should start having an annual Overstated Case Award. And I know it's only March, but I'm saying this is 2016's winner right now.

it should be balanced by a gullible-**** day
2016/03/06 10:13:16
stevec
irvin
John T

True, for as long as there are loyal soldiers like you, willing to kill and be killed for a cause they trust, but can never understand.

And you do?

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account