2016/03/03 19:40:35
Beepster
rcklln
Default should be turned off with incentive to participate.

That too....

edit: but with or without the incentive... it should be Opt In... not Opt Out.
2016/03/03 19:49:07
John T
tenfoot
I hope in the aftermath of all of the skewed feedback we don't see a dumbing down of Sonar with 300 new features like the insert track button

I don't see what's dumb about the add track button.
2016/03/03 19:53:51
FCCfirstclass
I'm in.
I have no problem with Cakewalk doing this.  Geez just think of all the tracking done with your smartphone.  Cakewalk is barely scratching the surface. 
2016/03/03 19:56:17
Lance Riley [Cakewalk]
rcklln

We thought about this a lot and ultimately we believe as a company that making our software more user driven is the way of the future. This means that we need to be able to have insights from all areas of the community. We have a passionate and dedicated following and I think most people will be happy to participate. If not though to all their own. We are also very interested in incentivizing this for users who connect there Cakewalk account. The Steam community does this by offering achievements for users that contribute. Would in-app achievements or other rewards make you more interested in participating in something like Cakewalk Analytics?

2016/03/03 19:57:45
Beepster
I actually think the Add Track button is fine. It was the gist of the post I was agreeing with... BUT I could think of a million other things I could have used a lot more than the Add Track button.
2016/03/03 20:02:57
Beepster
Yeah... that's the thing. No offense to the Steam community but I don't want my audio workstation designed by gamers. I want it designed by audio industry folks... and those gamers would benefit a LOT more from those types of improvements in the long run as well.

As for the smartphone comparison... I don't use those and never will. If I was ever in a situation where I HAD to use one I would do everything in my power to circumvent every creepy little thingamadoodle installed on it designed to collect data.

2016/03/03 20:08:28
backwoods
actually, i think daw design could take some ideas from games, but i dont think this is what lance was alluding to. imagine radial menus like in unreal and the ability to use xbox one controller as a simple control surface... heck-- sonar has a running start as default keycuts are set up like typical fps already:)
I do understand your unease about this beepster, personally i am for it if it helps cakewalk improve sonar, but i dont know that i understand what these analytics are yet...
2016/03/03 20:44:30
John T
An achievements system doesn't appeal to me. I use Sonar to get work done. I'm not interested in earning badges, and the thing that would send me running for the hills almost immediately would be any kind of nag or notification telling me I could get some digital trinket for using EQ a certain way. I struggle to imagine anything more irritating and distracting, and I know a lot of guitar players.

More generally, and more seriously, the idea of rewards for participation sounds totally reasonable. But incentivising certain behaviours is not only annoying, it's the exact opposite of analysis.
2016/03/03 20:45:51
tenfoot
John T
tenfoot
I hope in the aftermath of all of the skewed feedback we don't see a dumbing down of Sonar with 300 new features like the insert track button

I don't see what's dumb about the add track button.

You are becoming the master of the misconstrue John! I am not sure why you chose to focus on that particular line of my post, so let me explain. I don't have a problem with the add track button per se. My point is that it is geared toward the new user, so it made for a pertinent example. If you have already set up track presets for your favourite synths, and your favourite mics are plugged into your goto outboard chain also with their own presets, the add track button just slows you down. You also have more options in the other insert synth dialogue's.  It is still a good feature - but there are better ways to get up and running efficiently once you have some mastery of Sonar as you no doubt know.  By all means enjoy the add track button if it is your thing though:)

I don't have a problem with collecting analytics either. I was simply making a comment on their eventual influence on the program, which I guess comes down to how they are filtered and interpreted by cakewalk. I am sure they will do a great job. As I said in the first post - just a passing observation.
2016/03/03 20:50:51
rcklln
Lance Riley [Cakewalk]
rcklln

We thought about this a lot and ultimately we believe as a company that making our software more user driven is the way of the future. This means that we need to be able to have insights from all areas of the community. We have a passionate and dedicated following and I think most people will be happy to participate. If not though to all their own. We are also very interested in incentivizing this for users who connect there Cakewalk account. The Steam community does this by offering achievements for users that contribute. Would in-app achievements or other rewards make you more interested in participating in something like Cakewalk Analytics?

I wouldn't be interested in in-app achievements or other rewards but I think that would be a fair deal for those that participate. What I was trying to say was use the stated rewards as an incentive for people to enable it. There are probably lots of people that would be willing to get involved without any little extras so it might not even be necessary but I like having the choice to opt in better than opt out.

Thanks for trying to make Sonar an even better DAW.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account