2016/03/23 00:01:57
brconflict
Sir Les
What exactly is the industry doing?....spying!

If you truly believe this, first make sure your web browser is running in Private Mode, and your cookies disabled. Because if you didn't do that when you connected to the Internet you've already decided your security is not entirely at risk. And that's ok!
Try this
Install FireFox (if you're not using it at the moment), open the Developer Tools and select Browser Console. Then, while you surf the Internet, just watch all mass-loads of data exchanged between your machine and the websites you browse to. Try www.abc.com, the news network. At the very end you see Ramp Analytics Engaged.

The Reality
Whether it bothers you or not, you're still surfing the Internet and using software of all types. You're using Microsoft Windows. If you're truthfully that distrustful of what your software and Internet surfing provides other parties then why do you continue to use them? Surely you've fought viruses on your computer before. If that didn't stop you from using Windows I'm sure you understand there's a risk you're willing to take to stay online and using your computer.
If you've traveled on an airline, you've been ok with going through airport security. That didn't stop you from flying. When you apply for a credit card you gave up personal information. You trust your doctor to keep your medical history safe in his office or on his computer.

The Philosophy
I think what most people get worked up about is something to consider when using software, but there are things they probably didn't consider in every other aspect of life. Doing taxes is invasive to some, but we all pay our taxes and fill out the return forms. Our governments know quite a bit about us, and will continue to.
Google has satellite pictures of your house, and anyone can see it online. Does that make you want to live in a bunker? 
Point being, if you're this distrustful of the industry advancing in these newer ways of understanding customers, you're going to be left behind. You're going to also stress yourself out beyond reason and lose out on the things you do enjoy, such as making music.

Here's a scenario of how tracking information can help you
Which would you prefer: 1) A salesperson knocking on your door to offer you a new car because you like nice cars, or 2) A salesperson knocking on your door to offer a new male enhancement pill to you in front of your wife or children, because he knows nothing about you? Analytics help understand what your interests are and help to tailor what you see online instead of the usual crap that nobody wants to see anymore.
When you browse the Internet to sites with ads, which would you rather see, new plug-ins offered by Cakewalk, Waves, BlueCat, etc. or diet and longer-lasting sex pill ads?

But Cakewalk?
So, Cakewalk has honorably stated they plan to implement this function and have clearly stated that you can opt-out of it if you choose. That really should offer what you need to know. I asked questions, myself to find out more, and I got answers. They were decent answers. If you don't trust this idea, you are free to keep using Sonar at the version you're at and never upgrade beyond that. You'll never have to worry again about it. It's really that easy! Granted you'll miss out on new features and improvements, but that's your choice.

This is where I will end this debate with you
It's understandable that you have concerns, and I  think your concerns are shared by many, but as we evolve online and in computing we're all going to see this industry evolve with us. Software is going to become more powerful than any one human (or even groups of humans) can fully understand. No, we've already gotten to that point! We can't slow the industry down but we can take our precautions and enjoy how much more we can do every day that our parents' generation could only dream of!! Have a great week, Sir Les!!
2016/03/23 00:55:31
ampfixer
Why do people come here to lose their minds?
2016/03/23 08:20:56
dcumpian
ampfixer
Why do people come here to lose their minds?

To be fair, that ship sailed way before...

Dan

2016/03/24 12:26:46
kzmaier
I would prefer a user survey.

less bakers work = more user goodies.
less cpu load = happy users
more user privacy = happy users

Just my vote towards use of my dues.
2016/03/24 17:09:36
robert_e_bone
I would like to hope folks can keep Cakewalk's upfront indication that they would like to begin collecting data for their internal use in helping them meet our needs as best as possible for their own development purposes, separate from whatever any other company on the web or on the planet is doing.

1) Cakewalk has indicated upfront they will begin collecting Sonar usage data.
2) They allow individuals the means of turning that completely off, if really desired.
3) It seems a whole bunch of folks use their products that did not respond to past user surveys, so they are likely attempting to get better data - they have no nefarious desires to sell anyone's Sonar usage info to others.  They have been completely upfront about all of this.

Bob Bone

2016/03/26 20:23:42
gunboatdiplomacy
It's threads like this that make me realize why Propellerheads shut their user forum down. What a waste.

I'm all for analytics.  Cakewalk seeing where I point my mouse is the least of my digital worries. 
2016/03/27 19:37:40
stevec
gunboatdiplomacy
I'm all for analytics.  Cakewalk seeing where I point my mouse is the least of my digital worries. 

Me too.   I kinda like the idea of CW collecting data that represents my workflows, preferences, etc..  After all, it's not some government developed mind-reading software that scans my brain and reveals all my deepest, darkest secrets.   It's a DAW.   

And just as much, I'm all for CW making it known ahead of time and providing the option to disable it for those not in the same frame of mind.   Use it or don't.   Pay monthly or don't.    Choice.

2016/03/28 10:50:16
brconflict
I won't argue that I'd be all for "pointless" or data-mining analytics, because that's a bit invasive. However, what's happening here is a shift in the industry. Software become far more complex and more so than anyone can ideally, and reliably test to its fullest extent. I was in a debate this past weekend with a very paranoid Windows user who refuses to move to Windows 10 because of what it gives Microsoft. His argument is, "Why don't they just test it more fully?"

I used to have that that same adamant opinion. I want to see software tested more fully, even at a greater cost to me. But I do understand that the only reliable way to do that is {really} to put it out in the open and let the community report back. With that said, the community is not savvy across the board, or even consistent in reporting troubles. Enter Analytics! Now, SONAR can better report what's good, what's bad, what's used, what's not--and on a grand scale! It's helpful!

Plus, back to the point of Microsoft better testing. Their OS is rock-s.o.l.i.d.! They've tested it. It's everybody else hardware and software that cause most of the OS issues. It's Microsoft's prerogative to build more informative databases of what's eating their OS. Same with Sonar. It's their prerogative to gather more information about what things might be eating/crashing Sonar, and what things might have led up to that. Or what feature nobody uses anymore, so stop wasting money on keeping it up to date or included in future releases. Good stuff can be done, if done responsibly.
2016/03/28 14:20:14
stevec
brconflict
Good stuff can be done, if done responsibly.

Yup!

2016/03/28 21:08:06
elegentdrum
Since I'm using Sonar in an isolated machine, I hope there will be a switch to prevent it from trying to connect every so often using up overhead. I only connect my music computer to the internet when I an required to for licensing, and I wish I did not have to do that. I really cringed when I had to update the OS to get the current version of Sonar. I have yet to put the machine through a real working since. 

Music computers should never be on the internet. In the near future, My MIDI patch bay will be using the network slot. The real problem is no on line help and that my system uses Asio, so I cant watch and help vids anyway on that computer.

I have no problem letting Sonar see how I use the software, but only when I'm in an update as a batch. All of the time will not be allowed by anybody trying to put together a pro studio. Typically a real studio leaves the sound computer off the web.

This is yet another delineation between pro and consumer software. I own sonar because of how well it handles VST3's in specific BFD3. Other than that, I wish it was just like Pro tools or soundscape. A simple solid platform that just works like a tape machine and Mixer.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account