• Features & Ideas
  • The wait is over. Cakewalk offering callback support starting April 11th (p.3)
2016/04/01 13:25:59
mettelus
It would not be a requirement (that just causes grief), but rather an option for international users. Skype and Google Hangouts specifically would fall toward the bottom of preferred choices IMO; there are several others highly rated and used professionally.
2016/04/01 13:32:04
Beepster
PS: I call from Canada and eat the long distance (I think). Are you guys going to call me back long distance (if your plan doesn't cover Canada) or am I going to be forced to go through less knowledgeable distributors?
2016/04/01 14:00:31
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Hi Allan,

AllanH

This makes a lot of sense.  I would suggest you announced End-of-life of your products, so we all can plan accordingly, and place it prominently somewhere on the web site.

Thanks for the feedback. This is in the near-term plan once all the dust settles and everything is going smoothly. Right now we're intentionally being a little loose and flexible until all the kinks are worked out, once that is done we'll make it more clear on both the products and support sections of our site.
2016/04/01 14:21:39
tenfoot
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]

At this time we aren't explicitly preventing international numbers, that is however subject to change. Outside of the US, Cakewalk Support is typically provided by the distributor

This is pretty funny Willy - at least if you live in Australia. If you go to the distributor's website:

1. There is no mention of Cakewalk at all.
2. If you click on the contact button it says 'you are not authorised to access this resource'.
3.On the very outside chance someone there actually knew something about Sonar, why would they offer support when since Sonar 5 I have purchased direct from CW? Surely local distribution and support of software is pretty much ancient history. 

I haven't ever used telephone support, so I guess its pretty unlikely I ever will - but it is a very good thing that you are not excluding International callers for anyone that does. Probably wise to check out your international distributor's services before you hand all support over to them.

http://www.gibsonami.com/...t_id=36&Itemid=118
2016/04/01 14:22:18
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Hi Beepster,

Beepster
Thanks for the reply, Willie but I feel like this is going to be another one of those things where it's just going to happen no matter what gets said.

This process seems to create more hassle for the user and only benefits Cake/Gibson (but is being presented as a positive).

I'm not one to sugar coat things. I'm being blatantly honest about these changes. We totally recognize that not everybody will love this and understanding why folks don't like it will only help us make it better.

From a support standpoint - yes it offers a lot of benefits to Cakewalk. (Not sure what you're inferring by Gibson nobody in Nashville does SONAR support ...)
  • When the rep calls we'll know what your problem is and be ready to dive right in without wasting anytime asking you to try things you already did - we do still retain the rights to ask about your latest projects, adventures with plugin X or what beer you're currently drinking.
  • We'll have all of your information up and ready before we call, even less time wasted.
  • If a rep has a dentist appointment at 2:30 PM, hold times won't blow up.

I'd actually like to walk through your process if you don't mind because I think its a great example of how this might fit into your current routine.

Beepster
So I get all my info together (S/N, reg, etc which are all stashed in a special place)

You can skip this step now - just log right in (do it on the same computer you're using for the forum).

Beepster
type up a checklist of everything I need to discuss,

Great that means more time for you guys to just hangout on the call and talk about phish tunes (assuming you like to work with Joe or Joey) - I guess metal tunes for Phil ;) Just type your checklist right into our website or copy and paste it in. I didn't mention it in the OP but you do get the option to pick a specific support rep if there is somebody you have a history/fellowship/shared affinity for crunchy phish grooves with.

Beepster
make sure I've got a free half hour to call

Just pick the available time that works best for you.

Beepster
wait

You may now omit this step and go on with your day.

Beepster
talk, type up/process/enact the results, put all my papers away and move on.

You can still do all this and we'll also email you the resolution and steps we took so you'll have it for your records.

Beepster
I also generally call IMMEDIATELY when support opens because I don't like dealing with tech crap later in the day 

Great once we get the basics sorted out as I stated earlier we have every intention of offering phone support times at hours earlier in the day.

Beepster
It seems to me this could turn out the way emails have. As in... "We'll get to it whenever we get to it.... if we get to it."

There is no double-booking. You pick the day and time (and optionally the rep) and that is when you will get called back. We won't make times available that a human isn't available to call you back.

Beepster
My point is the current system has worked extremely well for me and has been a major bonus of being a Cake customer. I swear it's always been a very pleasant "In and Out" experience for me. What is being presented is absolutely NOT how I want to deal with problems. It is much more complex and inconvenient to me than just calling and waiting on hold for a while.

I realize I'm probably getting a rep as a crank around here lately (which is partially why I'm not around much anymore) but seriously... this strikes me as a downgrade in service. Not an improvement.

It's a change sure, but we can't pass up the opportunity to offer more support to more users for the same level of spend. We owe it to ourselves to at least try it. If it fails miserably then we'll try something else. But bear with us, help us find the kinks and give it a shot. For the process you just described (I'm sure support really appreciates your thoroughness before picking up the phone) I think it would work very well for you and might even improve your support experience if we can call you in earlier in the day.
2016/04/01 14:24:42
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Beepster
PS: I call from Canada and eat the long distance (I think). Are you guys going to call me back long distance (if your plan doesn't cover Canada) or am I going to be forced to go through less knowledgeable distributors?

Yes we'll call you back long distance - not sure what wasn't clear about that before.
2016/04/01 14:28:34
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Hi Bruce,

tenfoot 
This is pretty funny Willy - at least if you live in Australia. 

I'm not involved in the distribution arrangements, but thanks for sharing this. I'll send it to the right people to find out what the story is.

2016/04/01 14:42:24
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
rtucker55

I guess I did not see the part about being able to schedule a call at some relatively exact time. I don't think it would work that way if Customers are scheduling the tech guy/s to call them as they could all be asking for a call - say 10 am on Friday. I appreciate your positive reply Dave but it is highly unlikely that it will work that way.

That is actually exactly how it will work and I guess I did a poor job of explaining that part - here is a screenshot of the current work in progress to give you an idea of what the web page would look like. These are fictional call times that I just generated, not representative of actual times that may be available starting on the 11th.

2016/04/01 15:00:54
rtucker55
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
rtucker55

I guess I did not see the part about being able to schedule a call at some relatively exact time. I don't think it would work that way if Customers are scheduling the tech guy/s to call them as they could all be asking for a call - say 10 am on Friday. I appreciate your positive reply Dave but it is highly unlikely that it will work that way.

That is actually exactly how it will work and I guess I did a poor job of explaining that part - here is a screenshot of the current work in progress to give you an idea of what the web page would look like. These are fictional call times that I just generated, not representative of actual times that may be available starting on the 11th.

Thanks for pointing this out Willy. Hopefully it will become a more efficient and effective process. Craig made a good point earlier in the thread about if it was outsourced, That would be a total disaster.

Cakewalk Customers are very fortunate that we have Knowledgeable tech people to deal with when we need help.

Kind regards,
Rick
2016/04/01 21:20:20
Notecrusher
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Beepster
3) I seriously hope you guys aren't going to completely deny help to those who's memberships have lapsed (within reason).

This is already the policy today - we can't practically support everybody just like we can't support Pro Audio 7 users on Windows 98. That being said we always have been and probably will continue to be pretty flexible with our support policies. 

I certainly hope Cakewalk will be "flexible". Supporting twenty year old programs is one thing. Supporting the CURRENT program for users who paid for it and own it, but do not wish to purchase a new subscription is quite another. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account