2016/07/10 21:09:21
bayoubill
When my new PC comes in I've got figure out how what I need to protect it. Here where I live I have at least one power outage a week. It went out today and I had to wait 2 hours before my PC would restart.  The new PC will remedy that!

What surge/power protection outage thingy do you guys use?
Thanks for any help, info or input!!!!
2016/07/10 21:10:36
bayoubill
I'm running into a banana plug. 6 inputs
2016/07/10 21:34:29
BobF
My many year old APC died last week.  I replaced it with a TRIPP-LITE SMART1500LCDT ($150)

I like a couple of things about it.  First, it has a UPS port and Win8.1 recognizes it and battery levels so I can have it auto shutdown on low battery.  Second, it has a load level indicator on the FP display.

I can't say how long it and its batteries will last at this point, but I like the features.

2016/07/11 06:31:58
fireberd
UPS system is the only way to go.  It has the usual noise/surge protection but goes further by having "battery backup" that will keep your PC running on momentary or short power outages.  When I was working (as a network manager) a study of power outages at our field offices showed momentary and short (5 mins or less) power outages are the most common. 

All new PC power supplies are the "Active PFC" type of power supply and a UPS with a "pure sine wave" output is needed, in most cases. 

I'm using a Cyberpower 1500PFCLCD UPS.  It will power my desktop PC, Monitor and recording interface unit if I have a power failure.  Long enough to finish whatever song or tracking I'm doing (may be more time than that but I haven't tried it).
2016/07/11 07:20:28
patm300e
Not trying to hijack this thread...  What about your interface, should THAT be on the UPS?
2016/07/11 08:21:25
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
definitely PC + interfaces on the UPS, preferably all devices

get a UPS/APC but don't be stingy ... use one of the bigger ones as it will hold your entire studio online over several minutes of power outage (I think I mine can do up to 30 min with audio interfaces, tube preamps, etc. all running) ...

2016/07/11 08:46:06
scook
fireberd
I'm using a Cyberpower 1500PFCLCD UPS.  It will power my desktop PC, Monitor and recording interface unit if I have a power failure.

This is what I ended up with too. Large enough to handling all the gear associated with my DAW and quiet. I have not had an extended power outage since picking it up last year but it has handed short interruptions well. I am not one to run on battery for long. Instead I prefer to power down after a few minutes rather than test how long the system will run on a battery.
2016/07/11 08:50:37
fret_man
+1 for Cyberpower 1500PFCLCD UPS.
2016/07/11 10:48:01
bayoubill
Thanks guys! I need to research more
2016/07/11 10:58:31
JonD
I have a Monster Pro 3500, their old flagship Power Center which I believe has been discontinued.  I'm no fan of Monster Power the company (Their bullying business practices are fairly well-known).... the only reason I have the 3500 is I happened to be in a Circuit City store on their last day of business.  An unboxed demo 3500 was on the clearance table, and had a $150 price tag (down from the original $400 or 500, I can't remember).  I offered the manager $80, he accepted, and that was going on 5 years ago.  (It's still under warranty!).

We don't get many power outages here, except during thunderstorms.  When I hear the slightest rumble, I shut it off and unplug from the wall.

If I had to buy today, I'd probably get one of those Furman conditioners with a built-in UPS.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account