2016/11/23 10:00:25
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Having issues with large projects @96 KHz I'm considering going "all in" on SSDs.

Currently I got 3 standard HDs: (1) system (120 GB), (2) studio projects (750 GB) and (3) sample libs (750 GB).

So far I only did a brief research but I may want to replace all 3 with "Crucial MX300" SSDs (1x 275GB for system, 2x 750 GB for projects and samples).

Anything special to consider here?
What's the best way to migrate to the new disks i.e. how to best clone to continue working with minimum interuption and identical file structure? I got Acronis True Image 2013, could I simply restore the disk image from the backup to the new disk?

Can I leave the 750 HDs inside the box to have backup drives or would these cause potential heat issues?

2016/11/23 20:39:29
Ingrids
What is your OS? If you're running Windows, try disk clone with cloning software say AOMEI Backupper. The cloning should be done one by one. Also, you can create full backup for each disk and restore them later. 
2016/11/23 20:53:50
abacab
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
Having issues with large projects @96 KHz I'm considering going "all in" on SSDs.

Currently I got 3 standard HDs: (1) system (120 GB), (2) studio projects (750 GB) and (3) sample libs (750 GB).

So far I only did a brief research but I may want to replace all 3 with "Crucial MX300" SSDs (1x 275GB for system, 2x 750 GB for projects and samples).

Anything special to consider here?
What's the best way to migrate to the new disks i.e. how to best clone to continue working with minimum interuption and identical file structure? I got Acronis True Image 2013, could I simply restore the disk image from the backup to the new disk?

Can I leave the 750 HDs inside the box to have backup drives or would these cause potential heat issues?

I don't have any experience with Crucial, but I found a good deal on a Samsung SSD EVO 850 250GB, and used the Samsung Magician software to migrate my system boot drive from a HDD to SSD.  Everything went very smoothly.

I would think that if the SSD manufacturer offers tools for the task, that's probably your best bet.  If in doubt, use Google to search for Crucial migration experiences.
2016/11/27 01:42:37
Vastman
Samsung 1TBs are $250 right now... I'd get two and split ur high use libraries between the two...plus ur smaller os drive... consider a 500gb... they're also cheap...
2016/11/27 06:08:38
soens
CLONE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I just did a clone and it ruined my system. Took it to a local shop to fix and they messed it up more. Finally called DELL support. I had to pay for the service and it took over 3 hours but they walked me through the restoration step by step... on the bigger drive. I have no future plans of reliving that experience.

I highly recommend having a professional shop do it. If it's windows 10, make sure they know their stuff 1st!!! There are a host of differences with the way newer systems are set up.

Was told elsewhere that "cloning" HDDs can be a crapshoot. Sometimes it works and sometimes... (see above).

As others on these forums have said, storage drives don't, and probably shouldn't, need to be SSDs.

I also recommend at least 250GB for OS drive.
2016/12/02 20:21:05
Jesse G
The questions I have are these,

Will all of the Sonar software,  all plugins retain their licenses for use.  Windows 10 updated on me and I had to go to the XLN audio site and remove my computer and then click add my computer to get a new AD2 code for the computer to use AD2 again, and this was only a Windows 10 anniversary update.

I have a lot of Waves Sonar, and other plugins as well of as purchased instruments that I don't want to loose and not have the licensee keys fail to recognize the shareware. 

Have any of you had full  using your your SSD's and had full use of your DAW after the new drive has been installed onto the computer?
2016/12/02 21:43:49
timidi
Migration went very smoothly for me with Samsung's migration assistant. 

If I did it again, I wouldn't change out the audio drive.  I haven't noticed any advantage there. Actually, now that I think of it, I might re-install the regular HDD. Also, I've heard the SSD's will wear out faster because of all the writing. OS and samples are mostly reading.

OS and samples yes. Audio, not a good idea.
jmo
2016/12/02 22:39:47
tlw
I've been using the same Intel SSD as the audio spooling drive for three or four years now. It ain't worn out yet and reports its condition as 100% OK. Unlike a pair of Seagate Barracudas I bought at the same time, both of which have failed, the first one to die lasted only a year. I use an SSD for spooling rather than an HDD not so much for speed, though it copes at least as well as my earlier SATA RAID0 disk pairs did, but because it's silent and draws very little power.

SSDs will eventually 'wear out' but real-world data indicates that looks like taking years rather than months. MLC drives should on average last long enough to see the computer they're in wear out (or become obselete) and it's next two replacements as well.

But like HDDs failure can happen at any time. So backup early and backup often.
2016/12/03 05:59:04
slartabartfast
Are you sure your "issues" will resolve with SSD's?
2016/12/03 06:43:56
dwardzala
I am not sure how much performance boost you actually get from an SSD as an audio drive.  Just from a cost benefit perspective, a standard HD can provide much more space for the money.

As to HDD failures, its true they all can fail.  I have stayed away from Seagate for a long time now due my perception of their quality.  Its all Western Digital Black drives for me if I am using a standard HD.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account