• Computers
  • Who switched to Windows Ten (p.5)
2015/07/26 13:02:03
bitflipper
Take a look at the INF file(s), which are text files you can open in Notepad. Most likely you'll something in there that specifies acceptable versions of Windows or file dependencies. If the person who created the INF was diligent, he will have liberally commented it and it'll therefore be easy to figure out what's what.
2015/07/26 13:55:30
fireberd
The issue is, Win 8.1 drivers (and hardware) are supposed to work in Win 10.   As noted, the gurus on the Windows 10 forum say its an omission in Win 10 and not the Roland/Edirol drivers.  I've posted the problem on the Microsoft "Windows 10 insider" forum.

2015/07/27 01:13:31
SEVerstraten
Looking into the RDIF1027.INF I see this section:

;---------------------------------------------------------------;
[Manufacturer]
%MfgName%=Roland,NTamd64.6.2,NTamd64.7
;[ControlFlags]
;ExcludeFromSelect=*
[Roland]
;; Windows7 - Windows XP 64
;; not supported
[Roland.NTamd64.6.2]
;; Windows8
%RDID0027DeviceDesc%=RDID0027Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_0033 ; PCR
[Roland.NTamd64.7]
;; not supported
;===============================================================;

Looks like they actively are blocking installation on other versions of Windows.
I haven't got Win10 installed yet, so I can't play around with the file to see how to bypass it.
But maybe adding the line 

%RDID0027DeviceDesc%=RDID0027Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_0033 ; PCR

To:
[Roland.NTamd64.7]

Might work
2015/07/27 06:37:56
fireberd
The driver, on the Roland site, is listed for Windows 8.1.  It won't install "natively" and won't install in a Win 8 compatibility mode.   My Roland Octa-Capture, which has a Win 8.1 driver installs OK.  My Roland Studio-Capture which has 8.1 drivers installs OK. 

My Frontier Tranzport, which only has Vista drivers, installs OK using the Vista compatibility mode.

I tried the Windows 7 64 bit OS Roland drivers, using Windows 7 compatibility mode and get the same Code 28 error.

According to the "guru's" on the Windows 10 forum, Win 10 is supposed to be compatible with Win 8.1 drivers and devices. 

The "Get Windows 10" application, on my Windows 7 installation that has the PCR500 installed and working, shows everything is compatible, no incompatible devices or software.
2015/07/27 20:33:44
Blades
The issue here with this particular driver is that the version 7 driver SHOULD have worked with 8 and the 8 driver should have worked with 8.1, but neither was true if I recall correctly.  There was a new release of the driver for 8.1.  So, I'm not quick to blame Windows 10 on this since 10 has done fine with so many other drivers, even some not meant for 8.1 or 8, but this one eludes it - and in my case where I really had the obvious notice of the issue is that their "application" that does the installation doesn't even recognize that the device is plugged in during the install.  It's not even one of those driver installs that just does a courtesy install of the INF for you  - it's an actual application that doesn't even recognize the plugged in device.  As such, I'm not even sure that an INF file change itself would necessarily fix this problem.

That said - I wish I could try to do this modification, but I have some things I want to work on and the last time I fooled with this, I had to completely rebuild my system to get going again.  I really need to install on a separate drive and try there.  Unfortunately, I prefer an SSD installation as I have now.  I have a spare mechanical drive around that I could do this with, but that would mean that I'd need to install the OS, test this, then do the OS upgrade on my SSD - too many installs for the amount of free time I have these days :)
2015/07/27 22:45:06
Westside Steve Simmons
I wonder if Roland will write drivers for the v700 system? Anybody know?

Also will it ever be feasible to do an upgrade without wiping off the hard drive and doing a clean install and losing so much stuff?

WSS
2015/07/27 22:46:02
Westside Steve Simmons
Looks like I should have read everything before I posted the remark!
2015/07/28 06:35:20
fireberd
The PCR driver was originally written for Windows XP.  Just some parameter changes in the installation file(s) to make it work in later OS's.  However, whatever changes in Win 10 OS and it doesn't work.  I don't think changing some parameter is going to make it work.  Starting with Win 7, Microsoft eliminated some backward compatibility with older hardware and drivers, apparently even less compatible with some older hardware and drivers in Win 10.

My other hardware, including the discontinued Frontier Tranzport, have drivers made for later OS' and probably why they work OK. 
Considering the PCR line was discontinued, I doubt that Roland will ever issue a Win 10 specific driver. 
2015/07/29 10:16:20
bitflipper
fireberd
My Frontier Tranzport, which only has Vista drivers, installs OK using the Vista compatibility mode.

Geez, I'd forgotten all about the Tranzport, which has been gathering dust since I was unable to get it to work under 8.1. Maybe there's hope I can once again be reunited with my beloved Tranzport.

But then, I seem to recall that you had it working under 8.1, too.

2015/07/29 19:45:33
fireberd
Ouch! it doesn't work now.  I had my Studio-Capture installed in an early Preview version but never checked it in the later or the final 10240 version.   The early Preview version must have been more 8.1 than 10. 

The Studio-Capture gets the same Code 28 error that the Roland/Edirol PCR MID keyboards do in Win 10.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account