• Computers
  • Who switched to Windows Ten (p.8)
2015/08/02 14:52:37
Blades
Hey Sycraft: yes, I know that there are 802.11g restrictions/expectations, but I was getting 15mbps at MOST - more typical at somewhere around 12mbps.  The actual limit is somewhere between 20-25mbps (rather than the "advertised" 54mbps).  That said, there was still a pretty big change between Win8 and Win10 using the same new router - from 48mbps max to about 80mbps.

Now, I've updated my main music machine and updated the drivers to the PCR-800, which is working exactly as it did under Win8 and Sonar X3.  Very excited to be able to still be able to use my old keyboard and still update to Win10.

So I have to wonder: aside from the removal of the restrictions about what version f the OS would be required and the subsequent restrictions about the associated signing and whatnot, I have to wonder what real differences there are between the Windows 8 and Windows 10 drivers for a device like this one.  It's not exactly a video card or something.

Considering how many of the devices on my system that work just fine with their old drivers and no changes or installations required, I have to believe that most of the driver level things are designed to port into Windows 10.

Is Roland/Edirol not updating the drivers for these because it would take a few minutes time and effort to update them or because they want to sell some of the newer model?  Seems a bit of a cop-out to post that they are not going to update such a driver when it doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult to update.
2015/08/02 17:03:04
Billy Buck
Blades
Is Roland/Edirol not updating the drivers for these because it would take a few minutes time and effort to update them or because they want to sell some of the newer model?  Seems a bit of a cop-out to post that they are not going to update such a driver when it doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult to update.

After I updated to Win 10, my Edirol (Roland) UM-1S USB MIDI Interface was no longer working. Neither the current Win 8 x64 or previous Win 7 x64 driver installers would work. I thought I was hosed, but I went back to the very first 64bit driver release (Vista x64 of all things) and it worked. So not cool that Roland is not updating the installers to work on Win 10, but cool that they still make all of the older drivers available and I found one that worked. No need to buy another MIDI I/O after all.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
2015/08/02 17:45:21
fireberd
Seeing how Roland wrote their drivers, and how it easy it was to hack them for Win 10, it really wouldn't take much to update discontinued devices such as the PCR MIDI Keyboards.  Its obvious they want you to buy a new device.   The drivers for both the PCR and the Studio-Capture are the same for each OS, and the different OS drivers are just coded with the OS Version (e.g. Win 7) which makes them OS specific.  

What surprised me is the "flagship" (Roland's designation) recording interface unit, Studio-Capture was not updated first.  They did update the older Octa-Capture and other "Capture" devices, and made them "Plug and Play", but not their top end Studio-Capture unit.
As I reported, I was able to hack the Studio-Capture Win 8.1 drivers just like the PCR drivers and its working OK in Win 10.

Next time I buy any new hardware, I'll have to think long and hard about Roland. 

2015/08/02 19:49:24
S.L.I.P.
Hot Damn! I love you guys! Blades...genius!!! I can't thank you enough. PCR 800 is working! and fireberd, thanks for the command prompt info. I've bought a lot of Roland gear in my time, but the fact that couldn't spend five minutes to do what Blades came up with will make me never want to purchase anything from them again
2015/08/03 20:25:41
Blades
Thanks S.L.I.P - just a note: it's not like I came up with all of this.  You can find most of it in a lot of different places on the net for different operating systems and devices.  What I did was compile what I found and post it specifically about a certain product line.

I'm glad you found my post useful and appreciate you pointing out your appreciation!  But there are a lot of people around here at least partially responsible for me being able to put together that little tutorial on the process.

Glad it helped you and hope it helps others to save money on things that don't actually matter.  I believe that there is sometimes a good reason to do hardware upgrades, but this seems like it's really on the brink of just stealing from people, in my opinion!
2015/08/04 10:50:55
BassDaddy
Thank you wonderful Cakewalk Forum Humanoids! I am looking forward to getting my PCR500 working. This will save me and a bunch of other hundreds of dollars. Special thanks to Sidrow for PM'ing me. I might not have seen it otherwise.  Thanks Blades and Fireberd for detailed but easy to follow instructions. Hot Dog! And to everyone else with follow-up and added insights. 
2015/08/06 15:00:26
DuckRumble
I did and Sonar 6 that had worked with Creative's Fatali1y X-fi card for many years suddenly had issues. I got M-Audio's M-Track interface and the very inexpensive, Win 10 friendly, Sonar Artist which has largely resolved change-over issues. MIDI is proving impossible to use in my particular set-up so far but my audio latency is 3.3 ms with ASIO which I like to see. It might be fine for you. Why not upgrade, see if it breaks your recording setup, and roll back if you find it has?
2015/08/06 16:31:43
Elffin
Onlynproblem I had was the ilok program.

Easy fix though. go to services and change 'Pace' to running.

Also change startup to delayed startup.

works!
2015/08/08 17:18:32
cecelius2
Thanks so much for the info on PCR800.  I have not upgraded to Win10, but at least I know that it is possible to use my PCR800 when I do.  Really helpful thread!!
2015/08/09 23:07:49
DPete
Another PCR-800 user up and running in Win 10. Thanks Blades and fireberd. Your posts were just what I needed! All drivers are now functioning properly.
I was planning a trip to GC to look at new keyboard controllers, along with spending hours on internet reviews. The GAS has now passed. Instead I was able to spend most of the weekend making music! SPlat has been rock solid in Win 10.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account