2016/11/09 08:51:00
fireberd
I'm in the "very early" stages of considering upgrading to possibly an i7 6700 or 6700K.  I've been looking at Z170 motherboards and see a couple (an ASRock and an ASUS) with Thunderbolt 3.  I don't have a need, right now, for Thunderbolt and may or may not in the future.  But, I'm wondering if I should consider Thunderbolt or just go without it.?????

Thanks/Jack
2016/11/09 13:29:16
fireberd
I got some feedback from an internet friend that has an ASRock with the Thunderbolt 3 and he says lots of driver complaints with the ASRock.  That eliminates ASRock if I were to go with Thunderbolt.

Here is his comments

The Asrock Extreme7+ (which I have on the machine I'm typing on right now) has an add-in for Thunderbolt/USB typeC. It's the focus of a plethora of end-user driver issues and complaints. Methinks this technology isn't yet fully-baked. You can always add a PCIe device to support it anyway, and you may be better-served to purchase without and consider an add-in later on. IMHO, FWIW
2016/11/09 14:20:54
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
curious what Jim will say about this topic - I hope he chimes in

having migrated to the MOTU AVB series I will definitely consider thunderbolt for the next DAW (which is still a while away as I'm nowhere near hitting the bounds with the current setup)
2016/11/09 14:21:14
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
curious what Jim will say about this topic - I hope he chimes in

having migrated to the MOTU AVB series I will definitely consider thunderbolt for the next DAW (which is still a while away as I'm nowhere near hitting the bounds with the current setup)
2016/11/09 19:02:57
Maarkr
yes, i think the technology is new and could use a cpu generation of experience before I invest in it... and while the bandwidth available is greater than other connections, music generation still has plenty of throughput using USB 2, so it would take a new generation of AD/DA conversion to make use of it.  I recently upgraded my interface to the mk4 (USB 2) because I don't think there will be much change for a couple of years at least.
2016/11/10 02:00:39
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Maarkr
I recently upgraded my interface to the mk4 (USB 2) because I don't think there will be much change for a couple of years at least.

I went with the AVB because of its extendability (chaining devices) and also because they promise even lower latency once you go with thunderbolt ...

however, i do also wonder whether using LAN ports to connect your audio device (like the AVB offers on the Mac) will come before thunderbolt is established in the win10 world ???
2016/11/11 06:31:01
fireberd
After several other exchanges and posts on this subject on the tenforums.com I've decided Thunderbolt won't be part of a new motherboard.  If I want/need it in the future a PCIe Thunderbolt card can be used.

But its still what M/B do I get.  I need lots of USB ports and some USB 2.0 ports as the MOTU I have doesn't "play good" with USB 3.0 (at least on my present system).  I could use Firewire with the MOTU but that would require using a Firewire PCIe card as none of the Z170 M/B's I've looked at have Firewire.
2016/11/11 07:46:32
Jim Roseberry
Thunderbolt-3 support is very early in development under Win10.
Right now, only MOTU has true "PCIe via Thunderbolt" drivers available (for the larger AVB units).

Thunderbolt-3 is working fine... but you've got to have all the above in place:
  • Running one of the latest Z170x or X99p chipset motherboards that provide Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C port
  • Win10 up-to-date
  • Thunderbolt-3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt-2 adapter
  • MOTU AVB audio interface with Thunderbolt port
If I were getting a Skylake motherboard with Thunderbolt-3, it would be neither of the above.

Thunderbolt provides access to the PCIe bus.  Nothing more... nothing less
You (of course) have PCIe slots in a modern machine... if you need to run ultra low round-trip latency.
Thunderbolt will not out-perform PCIe.  Under the best of circumstances, performance will be similar.
2016/11/11 15:15:26
fireberd
I dumped the idea of the "cutting edge" motherboards.

I ordered (today) an ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ motherboard and a 6700K

I only considered Thunderbird since I was getting a new/upgraded motherboard.  After posts here and on the tenforums.com I woke up and abandoned that idea.

2016/11/11 19:29:17
Maarkr
Fireberd, pls post your opinion on your upgrade after you get it going.  I'm on the fence about upgrading also. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account