2016/11/12 06:53:33
fireberd
It will be a week or two.  The parts won't be here until next week.
I'll be doing a "clean" install of Win10 as I want to change from standard BIOS to UEFI BIOS and GPT format.  A clean install may skew, slightly, the outcome.  My current Win 10 is an upgrade from 8.1.

I may have to install either a USB 2.0 PCIe card or Firewire card for my MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid as it does not "play well" with the USB 3.0 ports on my current system. 
2016/11/12 18:24:52
fireberd
In preparation for the upgrade, I found instructions on the tenforums.com on how to convert a non UEFI disc to GPT/UEFI.  The current Z77 motherboard I have is UEFI capable but I've never used that.  I am going to use the UEFI on the new motherboard.  I wasn't sure it could be done, it was easier that I thought. It will save me doing a clean install with the new motherboard to get the UEFI. 

If anyone is interested here is the instructions that I used.
http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/31765-converting-mbr-gpt-efi-boot.html#post483385

2016/11/16 06:35:08
fireberd
All the parts for the upgrade arrived yesterday.  Motherboard, CPU, Memory and power supply.  Now to get a free day that I can do the upgrade as I'm going to use my existing case, SSD's and optical drives.   I have my "grounding wrist strap" that I always use when working on PC's to help avoid static electricity problems.
2016/11/17 10:10:07
Jim Roseberry
fireberd
I have my "grounding wrist strap" that I always use when working on PC's to help avoid static electricity problems.

If you discharge yourself while working... and don't get silly touching ICs, you don't need to wear those wrist straps.
I haven't worn one of those since I built my first PC.  Twenty five years and thousands of machines ago...  
2016/11/17 15:58:52
fireberd
Murphy's Law applies to me. I'll still wear it   LOL
2016/11/18 08:48:58
fireberd
Murphy's Law has struck.  I was going to reuse my existing BeQuiet case but I would have problems installing the H100i radiator and fans. So, I ordered a Corsair Carbide 330R "quiet" case. There are other quiet cases but I wanted front panel I/O and most have the I/O jacks on top which is no good for my installation.

It wasn't a real disaster as it appears a friend wants my old PC. He has an old Vista machine and wants to upgrade. 
2016/11/19 10:31:24
Jim Roseberry
Sometimes dealing with parts can be interesting.
  • Open the water-cooler and find the included mounting screws are way too long.
  • Go to attach the fans and find that the screw holes on the radiator *don't* align with the fans.  Have to break out the file... and become a custom fabricator.
2016/11/19 13:15:58
fireberd
The plastic cover over the top was the problem.  I would have had to "break" mounting tabs to get the top cover off.  I had installation problems with this case when I first got it and finally got everything installed after "cursing like a sailor".  I should have just bought a new case to start with for the upgrade.

The new case will be here Tuesday from newegg.  Next Wednesday will be new PC build day.
No recording sessions scheduled until Nov 30th.

I have the old PC hardware reinstalled (and checked out) in the old case.  Will be making "one good one out of two" as we are going to use the Optical burner drives and hard drive from his old HP PC.  As soon as he purchases Win 10 I can start on his.
2016/11/23 11:51:08
kitekrazy1
Jim Roseberry
Sometimes dealing with parts can be interesting.
  • Open the water-cooler and find the included mounting screws are way too long.
  • Go to attach the fans and find that the screw holes on the radiator *don't* align with the fans.  Have to break out the file... and become a custom fabricator.

Sometimes this is a failure in extra research when it comes to cooling. I think the PC cooling market has become impractical.  I had that situation above.  Lucky I bought it at a Frys store and took it back.
2016/11/26 15:28:54
fireberd
Well, things are looking up, finally.  Got the new system up and running.  Finishing up some file transfers right now to a different hard drive as I have a 3TB drive and the BIOS thinks its dying (its not).  Only problem I've come across so far.  As reported on the tenforums.com,  I have a "digital entitlement" and was able to use the Win 10 OS drive from old PC and it is listed as activated on the new PC.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Z170 motherboard (I'm not a gamer but it has more USB ports on rear panel that I need).
i7 3770 CPU
GSkill TridentZ 16GB DDR4 3400 memory
EVGA Supernova 750G2 fully modular power supply
Corsair H100i V2 liquid cooler
Corsair Carbide 330R Quiet Case.
1394 PCIe card with T.I. chipset

I reused the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) and conventional hard drive (has Sonar Projects on it) and two LG optical drives (that will burn audio CD's at 8X).
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account