• Software
  • Waves subscription plans announced (p.4)
2018/06/11 13:47:34
marled
In Samplitude you have the choice to "Scan VST folders for new plug-ins" only. This is very fast and convenient when you only added a new one. But if you have Waves plugins there is always the shell that has to be scanned and that is time consuming. I see the difference with or without Waves shell quite well, because I have the Waves plugins only on one of my PCs.

In Sonar/CbB there is also a setting (Rescan existing plugins = off) to scan only for new ones, but I have the feeling it is not always considered and it is also not so efficient like in Samplitude. And if you start scan directly in the Plugin Manager, then it is never being considered (that's why I got used to scan in Preferences only).

Another reason why I dislike the Waves shell is that you do not have the possibility to organize plugins in your way. This is crucial for Samplitude, because it has no real plugin manager. So I have created an own VST2 plugin folder for Samplitude with logical subfolders like "Reverb" and in there I have only links to the real plugin DLLs (mklink), runs great except for Waves plugins! I even reorganized the VST3 folder like that, but just kept the top in the standard location and used the real DLL files.

Marc
2018/06/11 14:31:15
I have to say I'm not very impressed with the whole subscriptions thing.
2018/06/12 02:20:08
David
does "own after 24 months mean " no wup?
2018/06/12 02:28:31
RSMCGUITAR
David
does "own after 24 months mean " no wup?

I doubt it. I have to get WUP if I buy outright.
2018/06/12 14:30:37
Starise
I feel like I'm about to be wupped.
2018/06/13 12:09:47
dcumpian
WUP is capped at $225 for all of the plugins that you own, as long as you use them on a single machine at a time. I just wait until all of my plugins have no WUP left and there is a reason to upgrade. At the moment, there is no reason as v10 is simply a new version number. There is very little that has actually changed and any bug fixes seem to be aimed at newer plugins which, if you bought them, are probably still on the WUP. Six months or a year down the road I think I'll be looking to do a WUP for everything at once.

Dan
2018/06/13 12:58:08
Grem
Your right Dan, this looks nothing more than a version number change. Not really any reason to update now.

But I can't help but think that they are up to something. I mean, why else would they do this? For the sake of a version change? Doesn't make sense.

That's why I am wondering what's around the corner. Gotta be something.
2018/06/13 13:42:39
Starise
Waves plug ins are some of the best IMO. If I had Waves Gold I don't think 225.00 would be a bad price to pay if it assured me for updates long into the future. Yearly though it isn't so exciting. For the smaller players like me with a handful of their plug ins I am tempted to substitute other similar plug ins that have lifetime updates or simply use the ones I have until they become obsolete.
It is a shame because I like their products. I wouldn't want to do that, but I'm not going to keep tossing money at plug ins I seldom use.
2018/06/13 13:56:10
dcumpian
Starise
Waves plug ins are some of the best IMO. If I had Waves Gold I don't think 225.00 would be a bad price to pay if it assured me for updates long into the future. Yearly though it isn't so exciting. For the smaller players like me with a handful of their plug ins I am tempted to substitute other similar plug ins that have lifetime updates or simply use the ones I have until they become obsolete.
It is a shame because I like their products. I wouldn't want to do that, but I'm not going to keep tossing money at plug ins I seldom use.

You don't have to WUP annually. Waves would like you to. You only need to when there is a major version change. I've done WUP twice in 15 years: Once when v7 went to v8 and years later when v8 went to v9. Once you are on the current version, updates to that version are free.

Dan
2018/06/13 17:37:59
Grem
I agree with you Tim. And I love AR Plates so much!! I really don't want to do without.

If it goes like Dan is suggesting I'll accept it works that way. But I'm not really sure I am ok with paying for the same plugins again in 2-3 yrs. Because that's the way I look at it. My rent will be due in 2-3 yrs.

I am going to have to think about this one. 

Make no mistake and let me be clear, I think Waves is some of the best out there. Not sure I am liking this WUP thing. Didn't have to deal with it till now.

And if time goes on and it becomes clear that I will be able to keep using my V9 plugs till the cows come home, then everything is fine!! I'm a happy camper! : )
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account