• SONAR
  • What Does "Bounce To Clips" Do? (p.2)
2018/11/01 17:31:22
michael diemer
mettelus
A clip is a "window" into the underlying audio file, so bouncing also has a benefit of creating another audio file based on that viewable window. It helps to tidy up CPU load if you have slip-editted clips all over in a project.

I'm not sure I even do slip-editing. Considering I don't even know what it is. Unless I'm doing it Zombie-like, without knowing I'm doing it.
2018/11/01 17:33:47
michael diemer
rhenn
Bouncing MIDI clips is somewhat different from bouncing audio: MIDI clips are basically “containers” whose boundaries contain all the MIDI events that are recorded in one pass. If you record a few notes, stop the transport, then record a few more notes, you’ll have two separate MIDI clips. You can then select both clips, and “bounce to clips” to combine the two clips into one. If you record multiple takes over the course of an entire project, you can wind up with dozens of clips on one track, which can be visually confusing, depending on your view settings (clip boundaries on/off, etc.). Also if you have lot of controller data as I frequently do, small clips can be hidden behind larger ones, data appears to be missing when it’s not, etc. For this reason, I often bounce midi clips to clean up the view. One caution: where clips overlap, bouncing can have unwanted effects on controller data, so use caution and be prepared to undo. HTH

Yes, and what I just started doing is selecting all the clips for an inst, then bouncing to clips. I hate to see "dead" areas in the clip pane. This ties everything together in one clip. One problem though: after doing it, I can no longer see thye names of the inst's, even after selecting to see them in options.
2018/11/01 17:35:12
michael diemer
msmcleod
What the docs don't cover, is bouncing a clip to itself - i.e. just selecting one clip on its own and doing "Bounce to clips".

This is the workaround for many of the clip processing bugs / wierd behaviour that have been reported over the years.

Mettelus is correct in saying that bouncing to clips creates a new audio file, but it also has the effect of "cleaning" up the internal window pointers that seem to get messed up after editing or processing.

So, does this mean that the file becomes larger, since it is now audio? I thought that only happens if you bounce to audio.
2018/11/01 17:56:09
Blogospherianman
soens
Soft synths will only produce audio clips when they are frozen. You can freeze them then bounce them for permanent audio clips. Once this is done you can actually remove the soft synth without affecting the audio clip it produced.

Just for clarification, can produce audio clips from Soft Synths several ways besides just freezing them. Also, if you freeze the track, it IS a permanent audio clip already and doesn't require re-bouncing. If you want the frozen audio to start at zero, simply Slip Edit the midi clip first to start at zero then you can Freeze it and it will be audio. You can delete the frozen tracks Synth and keep the frozen tracks Audi without re-bouncing by un-ticking 'delete associated tracks'. I prefer to disconnect the Synth just in case I wish to change something, re-do or add to.
One of the newer ways to turn Soft Synths to audio is by arming the Record button on the Synth audio track, then hitting the main record button. (realtime records it). You can then mute the midi track with the Synth still connected or disconnect or the Synth from the Synth rack. This keeps all your Synths and Patches handy while freeing up your resources.
Another method to turn Soft Synths to audio which I prefer is Bounce to Track. Simply highlight the Midi track and Synth audio track then hit Bounce to Track (Tracks menu) source category 'Tracks' and either Bounce to a new track or to the Synth audio track or make and name a new one before the Bounce to track step and point it there. I like to do this and like I said Disconnect the Synth from the Synth Rack so as to be able to reconnect to change, add more, or multi-track bounce (drums for example) at a later time. I've been burned by Un-freeze in the past and have lost all synth patches and info, so now I disconnect and reconnect.
Of couse you can export and reimport, but why do that when Bounce to Track Saves you that Step and the step of having to point the export location. Just as a mention though.

Anyways, just trying to clarify and be informative and helpful in the spirit of the forum. ✌️
2018/11/01 19:07:02
Bristol_Jonesey
michael diemer
mettelus
A clip is a "window" into the underlying audio file, so bouncing also has a benefit of creating another audio file based on that viewable window. It helps to tidy up CPU load if you have slip-editted clips all over in a project.

I'm not sure I even do slip-editing. Considering I don't even know what it is. Unless I'm doing it Zombie-like, without knowing I'm doing it.

This is when you grab hold of one end of a clip and extend it, either to the right or left

This can expose material that previously hidden, thus making it audible once more, or if you choose to slip edit inwards thereby muting whatever events you've hidden.

The same applies to both midi clips & audio clips

Once you bounce a clip to itself - midi or audio, you will lose the ability to slip edit it outwards to display the data which had been previously hidden.
This may or may not be desirable and in the case of audio, will create a new audio file now based on the revised length, as mettelus described above.
2018/11/01 20:50:00
michael diemer
Bristol_Jonesey
michael diemer
mettelus

This is when you grab hold of one end of a clip and extend it, either to the right or left

This can expose material that previously hidden, thus making it audible once more, or if you choose to slip edit inwards thereby muting whatever events you've hidden.

The same applies to both midi clips & audio clips

Once you bounce a clip to itself - midi or audio, you will lose the ability to slip edit it outwards to display the data which had been previously hidden.
This may or may not be desirable and in the case of audio, will create a new audio file now based on the revised length, as mettelus described above.

Ah, more mysteries are revealed. I think what I should be doing is slip-editing then, not clip-bouncing, since my goal is to make all my midi visible. I had been afraid to drag those clip ends for fear that it would result in clip cropping, which I thought would erase events.
2018/11/01 21:23:25
msmcleod
michael diemer
msmcleod
What the docs don't cover, is bouncing a clip to itself - i.e. just selecting one clip on its own and doing "Bounce to clips".

This is the workaround for many of the clip processing bugs / wierd behaviour that have been reported over the years.

Mettelus is correct in saying that bouncing to clips creates a new audio file, but it also has the effect of "cleaning" up the internal window pointers that seem to get messed up after editing or processing.

So, does this mean that the file becomes larger, since it is now audio? I thought that only happens if you bounce to audio.

No - Sorry, I should have been clearer - I was only referring to bouncing audio clips to themselves. 

This doesn't apply to MIDI clips (AFAIK !!)
2018/11/01 22:10:21
soens
Blogospherianman
Also, if you freeze the track, it IS a permanent audio clip already and doesn't require re-bouncing.

Anyways, just trying to clarify and be informative and helpful in the spirit of the forum. ✌️

I was wrong and edited my previous post. Freezing creates an audio clip and a file in the Audio folder. However, to my way of thinking, neither freezing nor bouncing will create a "permanent clip". Within the project a frozen "clip", bounced or not, can be unfrozen with the click of a button making it disappear, while the audio file remains in the folder. Freezing it a 2nd time creates a 2nd audio file in the folder. Bouncing it will create a 3rd file in the folder. But when unfreezing, they all get removed from the clips pane.

Side note: If you don't save the project after freezing a soft synth, it's audio files will disappear from the folder.

The OP was a bit vague but now I see Michael is referring to MIDI tracks that have overlapping takes, which can be created while recording new parts or manually entering notes over an existing clip. Newly added notes will create a new clip that covers the previous one making it invisible.

So the simple answer would be: MIDI Bouncing takes all the "selected" clips in a track and merges them into one big clip making any invisible parts visible again.
2018/11/03 00:45:29
Johnbee58
My workflow includes transferring all of my tracks, both audio & MIDI to audio tracks and exporting them out and into a separate mix project.  "Bounce To Clip" consolidates all of the MIDI punch ins/outs and all of the audio takes (punch ins/outs) into a solid track for exporting out and importing into a separate project for mixing.  It also solidifies the timeline so that everything in the mix project is in the correct time sequence.  That's what I use it for-FWIW.

John B.
2018/11/04 20:44:24
chuckebaby
Bounce to clips = healing clips.
In other words you have several split clips, clips spread out that are not joined, Bouncing to clips will make them all one solid track. Its good for house cleaning, rather than having 10 clips in one track, heal them to one whole track.

All extended slip edit data will be lost on audio and midi clips.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account