• SONAR
  • What Does "Bounce To Clips" Do? (p.3)
2018/11/04 21:29:50
michael diemer
chuckebaby
Bounce to clips = healing clips.
In other words you have several split clips, clips spread out that are not joined, Bouncing to clips will make them all one solid track. Its good for house cleaning, rather than having 10 clips in one track, heal them to one whole track.

All extended slip edit data will be lost on audio and midi clips.

What exactly what would be lost? Controller events, for example? If I do only midi, is this a concern for me, or does it only apply to audio?

2018/11/04 23:33:37
soens
Bouncing will not discard data. Stretching a clip beyond the 1st or last data point only affects the visual. There's nothing to lose which is why bouncing trims them off.

Side note: Stretching the front of every clip to the -0- time line point is helpful when exporting the lot as stems to be used in another DAW. This way they all have the same starting point.
2018/11/05 00:31:03
Johnbee58
Point of interest on this-I have Alan Parson's Art & Science of Sound Recording series.  In the segment on mixing he points out that if you intend to ever go cross platform on tracks (say, from Sonar to Pro Tools) it's essential to bounce your clips together (or what Pro Tools calls "consolidating tracks") because in any format other than the one the track was created it might lose its place in the time sequence of the overall project.

John B.
2018/11/05 01:18:55
Rbh
Each Audio clip is a separate audio file that is stored , retrieved, linked with in program. Bounce to clips renders those separated files into one file - per track. This is a considerable amount of overhead saved for file handling for Os as well. I always bounce to clips before a final save and closing the project. You can select multiple tracks and bounce to clips - and each track will save and move to the next. This can reduce the amount of time you need to babysit the process as well.
2018/11/05 11:15:50
martins guit
it also apply fade-in & fade-out
2018/11/05 11:39:20
chuckebaby
michael diemer
chuckebaby
In other words you have several split clips, clips spread out that are not joined, Bouncing to clips will make them all one solid track. Its good for house cleaning, rather than having 10 clips in one track, heal them to one whole track.

What exactly what would be lost? Controller events, for example? If I do only midi, is this a concern for me, or does it only apply to audio?

To answer your question, no controller data is lost.

I personally use bounce to clips very frequently on all my midi clips to prevent over lapping accidents, double notes, making drag+select more accurate, exc.

Also of important note, if you have a project that crashes and will no longer open.. your midi is gone for good.
There is no way to recover it like there is audio files (inside the audio folder).
This is why I always use bounce to clips on my midi tracks and save them in another project folder as 1 whole clip.

2018/11/05 17:17:24
michael diemer
chuckebaby
michael diemer
chuckebaby

I personally use bounce to clips very frequently on all my midi clips to prevent over lapping accidents, double notes, making drag+select more accurate, exc.

Also of important note, if you have a project that crashes and will no longer open.. your midi is gone for good.
There is no way to recover it like there is audio files (inside the audio folder).
This is why I always use bounce to clips on my midi tracks and save them in another project folder as 1 whole clip.

Thanks. And great advice re: the bouncing to audio. so far I haven't permanently lost any projects, but it would only take one to seriously impact my well-being. I need to start doing that!
2018/11/05 17:44:45
chuckebaby
michael diemer
chuckebaby
michael diemer
chuckebaby

Thanks. And great advice re: the bouncing to audio. so far I haven't permanently lost any projects, but it would only take one to seriously impact my well-being. I need to start doing that!

No problem Michael
I bounce all my midi clips and export them to a Writing project folder (not Cakewalk project folder)
Its my personal directory folder for each song I make, I create a duplicate folder for each song with data inside.
This includes "Full midi clips", "partial midi clips" (for different versions) and "Text files" with "Song notes".
No audio though, that's all stored in the Cakewalk project folder and can be restored in case of crash failure.

The only audio clips I store in my Writing project folder are bounced Synth tracks.
This is incase years from now those VST instruments are no longer compatible, at least I have the audio tracks to fall back on.

I hope I didn't make this too confusing, to summarize...
I have always created a personal directory for my songs. In this directory, there are many folders..one for each song I create. This way if im using another DAW in the future, or compatibility is an issue, I have a good back up plan. The directory is small in size because midi files are small in size (sometimes just merely KB's).

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account