• SONAR
  • [SOLVED] MIDI Recording Latency Compensation
2016/09/22 09:38:00
rogeriodec
I have an Axion 61 controller for midi and a Focusrite Scarlett Solo for audio.
While recording a midi track, hitting the notes on the keyboard, they always appear some ticks advanced in relation to the metronome, as we can see in the image below.

I believe this happens because of the metronome audio latency, creating an hearing illusion, that forces me to hit the keys just before the start of each real beat.

So every time I record a midi track, I am required to manually move all the notes, some ticks forward.

I wonder if the Sonar some parameter that allows me to compensate this failure, that is, something like an automatic adjustment in ticks after recording midi notes, which allows moving the notes recorded a few more ticks ahead, thus correcting this problem.

2016/09/22 09:56:13
Musikus
Your computer should handle this task without too much latency.
If you are using the ASIO-drivers of your scarlett solo, what buffersize (ms) have you set?
2016/09/22 12:40:53
pinguinotuerto
rogeriodec
I wonder if the Sonar some parameter that allows me to compensate this failure, that is, something like an automatic adjustment in ticks after recording midi notes, which allows moving the notes recorded a few more ticks ahead, thus correcting this problem.

I use the Nudge feature to deal with this issue. I looked under driver settings and took the reported ASIO roundtrip latency number, entered that same number under absolute time (in samples) into my Nudge 1 settings and after recording a midi clip, I highlight it and hit Nudge Right and everything lines up perfectly. I use the Nudge Right 1 keyboard shortcut, so it's very simple- kinda like hitting quantize. Hope this helps.
2016/09/22 14:52:09
Musikus
Why not use quantize? Maybe not 100% to keep some natural feel.
2016/09/22 15:31:04
tlw
Is the offset a consistent number of samples/milliseconds?
2016/09/22 15:55:32
rogeriodec
I always use nudge and quantize, but both are manual actions, which I have to constantly repeat them each recording.
The correct is that every hit on keyboard controller must be always correctly aligned in all bars, neither before nor after.
I think that if there is an obvious latency between the metronome and the keyboard response time, there should be some parameters that make this adjustment automatically.

2016/09/22 16:01:04
Base 57
If you set the forum filter to "from the beginning" you will find an old thread (or a dozen) regarding this issue.

The short answer is the "Timing Offset" in the "Sync and Caching" page of "Preferences" can be adjusted to offset midi recording in the manner you are looking for.
2016/09/22 16:42:17
Musikus
Maybe using input quantize is a good way? You can enable it in the track inspector controls.
2016/09/22 17:02:21
rogeriodec
Base 57
The short answer is the "Timing Offset" in the "Sync and Caching" page of "Preferences" can be adjusted to offset midi recording in the manner you are looking for.

Here is the answer! 
Thank you Base 57!
2016/09/22 18:38:32
Base 57
   I am glad to help. Just be aware that the offset is applied to midi out ports also. So if you have any hardware synths you can end up chasing your tail.
  I eventually reset the offset to 0.00 and went back to using nudge.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account