• Software
  • IKM, you gotta be kidding... (p.2)
2017/03/17 18:06:26
BobF
All of my IKM stuff is downloaded/backed up in triplicate.  I have $3,000USD invested in a fool-proof backup system to avoid the possibility of a $10USD charge at some point in the future.

IMO, this is a reasonable step on IKM's part to help alleviate their pipe costs.  If the fee was higher, I might go along with a money grab opinion.  Seems like it's just enough to get the majority to back up their stuff instead of relying on IKM to be the backup.  I remember when I first bought TS Deluxe.  It took days to download everything.  When I grabbed TS Maxx, I opted for the USB stick version - which has been backed up as well.

2017/03/17 18:16:06
gmon72
I have more software (like many here) than any normal person should have and I can't think of one other company that charges to download the libraries after a set amount of time.
2017/03/17 18:54:38
ArcRex
They are not the only company to do something like it. I am stuck with IK with not being able to use Miroslav without pay the penalty. So I took Miroslav 2 off my bonus list and ended up getting Hollywood Orchestra instead which is better but more expensive. The other penalty company that I know is ilok. (Both of these issues came while upgrading a PC) I broke my ilok and they do a free replacement, but charge a hefty fee to recover your licences on the ilok. I am sure it very expensive to move the data from a file in their PC to another location, but the cost was going to be close to cost of buying a new ilok. Somewhere between $50-100 for the free replacement including licenses on it. I didn't use the antares license that were on it, so I did not do the RMA

But those companies are using bad form. 
2017/03/17 19:11:09
kitekrazy1
BobF
All of my IKM stuff is downloaded/backed up in triplicate.  I have $3,000USD invested in a fool-proof backup system to avoid the possibility of a $10USD charge at some point in the future.

IMO, this is a reasonable step on IKM's part to help alleviate their pipe costs.  If the fee was higher, I might go along with a money grab opinion.  Seems like it's just enough to get the majority to back up their stuff instead of relying on IKM to be the backup.  I remember when I first bought TS Deluxe.  It took days to download everything.  When I grabbed TS Maxx, I opted for the USB stick version - which has been backed up as well.

I don't have to do that with other companies.  When it comes to sounds archive everything.  It's real convenient when doing new system builds. 
2017/03/17 19:25:32
Fleer
Still, we should walk the walk as well as talk the talk on iLok transfer, IK reload and Waves WUP fees. To set an example. Burn at the stake. Then stand and smirk. Sneer and fleer. There, I said it.
2017/03/17 19:45:05
JohnKenn
Multiple backups in different places here also. Alchemy and all the factory libraries included.

Hey Bit, if you lost Alchemy or your libraries in the theft, PM me.

John
2017/03/17 19:52:44
Slugbaby
BobF

IMO, this is a reasonable step on IKM's part to help alleviate their pipe costs. 

Pipe costs are a joke these days.  I doubt it would cost pennies for the bandwidth to download what he's pulling.  

If you went into Guitar Center to buy a guitar, and the salesman refused to lend you a pick, instead charging you a quarter to buy one just to try out the guitar, would you do it?
2017/03/17 20:06:44
Fleer
JohnKenn
Multiple backups in different places here also. Alchemy and all the factory libraries included.

Hey Bit, if you lost Alchemy or your libraries in the theft, PM me.

John

Same here, also for ST3.
2017/03/17 20:16:49
BobF
Slugbaby
BobF

IMO, this is a reasonable step on IKM's part to help alleviate their pipe costs. 

Pipe costs are a joke these days.  I doubt it would cost pennies for the bandwidth to download what he's pulling.  

If you went into Guitar Center to buy a guitar, and the salesman refused to lend you a pick, instead charging you a quarter to buy one just to try out the guitar, would you do it?

I would use the one I always have in my pocket when I go to Guitar Center
2017/03/17 20:27:46
cclarry
I always have my downloads Archived...and I have the original Total Studio Disks...
and I keep 2 versions of EVERY installer and Program so that I can "revert" if necessary!

That's not the point.   You shouldn't have to pay to "re-load" something you've already
purchased....PERIOD....EVER.  It's "extortion" to "make MORE money"...and it's really
sad.  And companies shouldn't have a "no-resale" on purchased products.  That just 
makes them "Poor Investments" as there is no way to recoup part of the initial cost.
If you bought a back hoe, used it, and then didn't need it, you could re-sell it....
that same principal should apply here...especially for "professionals"...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account