• Software
  • azslows .dll now makes it really possible to seriously look at Reaper.... (p.2)
2018/06/10 10:37:13
azslow3
paulo
I say this not to have a go at azslow's work as I wouldn't know where to even start such an undertaking, but just to point out that in my experience it was very far removed from a one click solution to converting from one to the other and it might be somewhat misleading to suggest that it is.

Sorry that the converter has not worked for you. The converter has some limitations. I have not implemented everything possible and there are some parts which are extremely hard to convert. I am also sure there are still many bugs.

But I am still there if someone really wont additional features or can demonstrate a bug. For "simple" projects ("just" with: audio clips without AudioSnap, Melodyne nor other ARA effects; MIDI clips; audio FXes (VST2/VST3/DX); synthes (VST2/VST3/DX); DAW/FX/Synth automations (except CC, unsupported in REAPER); ProChannel EQ) the converter should produced almost identical sound.

And so I guess for many projects that is "4 clicks". That was the intention. And so I do not understand why recommending it as such can be misleading.
Note that everyone can try that for own project to judge themselves, within several minutes (faster then loading Bandlab Assistant  on slow connection) and for free (without any ads on sites nor in the programs/installers).
REAPER has "portable" install, ReaCWP is just a DLL which does not write any files (other then CWP during conversion). If someone is unhappy, he/she can remote one directory to uninstall both absolutely restless (from what I know, that is the only DAW with such feature).

I mean recommending Bandlab to anyone as a "free DAW" in that respect is more misleading. It has forced online registration, downloads tons of staff, restless cleaning is way more complicated and how free is "free" is in fact unclear (there are posts on the forum, but there is no EULA).

2018/06/10 11:03:17
paulo
azslow3
paulo
I say this not to have a go at azslow's work as I wouldn't know where to even start such an undertaking, but just to point out that in my experience it was very far removed from a one click solution to converting from one to the other and it might be somewhat misleading to suggest that it is.

Sorry that the converter has not worked for you. The converter has some limitations. I have not implemented everything possible and there are some parts which are extremely hard to convert. I am also sure there are still many bugs.

But I am still there if someone really wont additional features or can demonstrate a bug. For "simple" projects ("just" with: audio clips without AudioSnap, Melodyne nor other ARA effects; MIDI clips; audio FXes (VST2/VST3/DX); synthes (VST2/VST3/DX); DAW/FX/Synth automations (except CC, unsupported in REAPER); ProChannel EQ) the converter should produced almost identical sound.

And so I guess for many projects that is "4 clicks". That was the intention. And so I do not understand why recommending it as such can be misleading.
Note that everyone can try that for own project to judge themselves, within several minutes (faster then loading Bandlab Assistant  on slow connection) and for free (without any ads on sites nor in the programs/installers).
REAPER has "portable" install, ReaCWP is just a DLL which does not write any files (other then CWP during conversion). If someone is unhappy, he/she can remote one directory to uninstall both absolutely restless (from what I know, that is the only DAW with such feature).

I mean recommending Bandlab to anyone as a "free DAW" in that respect is more misleading. It has forced online registration, downloads tons of staff, restless cleaning is way more complicated and how free is "free" is in fact unclear (there are posts on the forum, but there is no EULA).

I really wasn't trying to have a go at your work, just saying that it didn't work very well at all for my projects and for the OP  to suggest that having it makes CW/Sonar redundant isn't necessarily true for everyone. This is what I meant by misleading  - as you say yourself, there is quite a lot that it doesn't do. I have no argument with you and if what it is capable of works for some, then great. As I said, I wouldn't even know where to start putting something like this together, so I'm not knocking you or your efforts, just saying what happened in my case, but as you say it cost me nothing to try, so thank you for trying to help us all out when it seemed CW was no more.

I haven't installed the bandlab version, so I can't really comment on that other than to say that generally speaking I do believe that there is no such thing as a free lunch. 

2018/06/10 13:34:59
azslow3
paulo
I really wasn't trying to have a go at your work,

Please excuse me, but I still do not understand your point...

just saying that it didn't work very well at all for my projects

I went throw test projects collected from people and I somehow do not see "Paulo" folder. Have you informed me what was wrong/missing? It can be I have skipped/forgotten or something falls into "hard to do" category. Sorry then. But I am just curious at the moment, what you mean by "quite a lot"?

and for the OP  to suggest that having it makes CW/Sonar redundant isn't necessarily true for everyone.

I think you misinterpret the statement. People (including OP) do not switch from CW because some converter exists. But some people do not switch completely just because they have no way to port old projects. And for them Sonar is installed just for that. In case they can convert without CW, it becomes "redundant".

Sonar has significant features not existing in REAPER. ReaCWP documentation partially covers that topic (not from the interface/framework position, but from "the result of work" - sound relevant information saved into project). Switching programs is always a deal, you gain in one area but loose in another. That is why some people use several DAWs in parallel. But DAW developers claim that "projects" (unlike WAV and MIDI) are so unique they can not be converted. I have tried to prove them wrong and I think successfully

2018/06/10 15:20:12
joden
Just for the record, I never really stated it was a "swiss army knife" nor that it made Sonar redundant. For me it means I can now get rid of Sonar and get right into the much smaller footprint, less bloatware and resource hungry Reaper. And sure, if you have a CWP heavy in pitch correction and weird and exotic effects combinations and whatever else it might not be exactly what you need.

I also wrote that for my "less than pro setup" it is perfect. I am sure there are many other "amateur" folks out there who will really appreciate this work by azslow and will be able to wean themselves off Sonar. Just as I am sure there are probably those who gargantuan ad convoluted Sonar Projects that would indeed not be possible in Reaper.

For mine, it successfully opened CWP's including volume, efx and other envelopes, track order and outputs etc etc. It even warns you which plugs are missing when you load the project so you can take a note and either re-set them or even change them for something else, sort of a refresh for older projects.

This is a brilliant .dll and azslow deserves full dues. A remarkable piece of work!
2018/06/10 15:51:24
paulo
azslow3
paulo
I really wasn't trying to have a go at your work,

Please excuse me, but I still do not understand your point...

just saying that it didn't work very well at all for my projects

I went throw test projects collected from people and I somehow do not see "Paulo" folder. Have you informed me what was wrong/missing? It can be I have skipped/forgotten or something falls into "hard to do" category. Sorry then. But I am just curious at the moment, what you mean by "quite a lot"?

and for the OP  to suggest that having it makes CW/Sonar redundant isn't necessarily true for everyone.

I think you misinterpret the statement. People (including OP) do not switch from CW because some converter exists. But some people do not switch completely just because they have no way to port old projects. And for them Sonar is installed just for that. In case they can convert without CW, it becomes "redundant".

Sonar has significant features not existing in REAPER. ReaCWP documentation partially covers that topic (not from the interface/framework position, but from "the result of work" - sound relevant information saved into project). Switching programs is always a deal, you gain in one area but loose in another. That is why some people use several DAWs in parallel. But DAW developers claim that "projects" (unlike WAV and MIDI) are so unique they can not be converted. I have tried to prove them wrong and I think successfully

My point was that in my case at least it didn't work, so it was a caution against people assuming that your tool, or whatever you want to call it, was good for all projects and that it was safe to get rid of the program that they were created in. This was not intended to be a slur on your work, just a statement that it didn't work for me.

You won't find any of my files on your system. I did offer to help you by testing projects, but you declined saying that you had enough people already, which is fine. I'm not upset or anything and I still tried it out when you released it, but my project wouldn't even play, so I just thought, oh well, it was worth a try and moved on. I didn't see much point in telling you about the problems I had as you had already declined my input.

Then bandlab came along and for the time being at least there was a simpler way to access old projects if platinum were to stop working for some reason, so I left it at that. I didn't like reaper all that much anyway, I saw just as an "if all else fails" solution to keeping the ability to open projects.

Please don't spend any further time or energy thinking about or responding to this, it wasn't my intention to involve you at all and I agree that your efforts should be commended and more so your willingness to make those efforts on behalf of others, but I just felt the need to add a note of caution to the OP who was advocating completely ditching his sonar installation that it doesn't always work. 

Ever wish you just hadn't said anything? 
2018/06/10 16:14:39
paulo
joden
Just for the record, I never really stated it was a "swiss army knife" nor that it made Sonar redundant. For me it means I can now get rid of Sonar and get right into the much smaller footprint, less bloatware and resource hungry Reaper. And sure, if you have a CWP heavy in pitch correction and weird and exotic effects combinations and whatever else it might not be exactly what you need.

I also wrote that for my "less than pro setup" it is perfect. I am sure there are many other "amateur" folks out there who will really appreciate this work by azslow and will be able to wean themselves off Sonar. Just as I am sure there are probably those who gargantuan ad convoluted Sonar Projects that would indeed not be possible in Reaper.

For mine, it successfully opened CWP's including volume, efx and other envelopes, track order and outputs etc etc. It even warns you which plugs are missing when you load the project so you can take a note and either re-set them or even change them for something else, sort of a refresh for older projects.

This is a brilliant .dll and azslow deserves full dues. A remarkable piece of work!

My projects are mainly vst instruments with a few straight audio tracks - some basic automation and fx and that's it. Nothing complex or professional about any of them I assure you. I got into the habit a long time ago of not leaving any pitch correction edits open when closing a project - I do whatever I need to do and then render before closing and I don't think I've ever even used audio snap, don't even know how to, but the project I opened in reaper using this tool was all over the place and wouldn't even play, but if you're confident that all of your projects will open and work satisfactorily in reaper then good luck to you.

2018/06/10 16:40:59
dubdisciple
Even older forms of cross DAW conversion rarely work seemlessly. When I transfer via omf or aaf, I strip project down to most base elements. What azlow achieved is amazing but must be treated in similar manner.
2018/06/10 17:08:48
The Maillard Reaction

2018/06/10 17:25:13
dubdisciple
dj squarewave
Bandaid should step it up and drop a dot flp to dot cwp converter add on so CbB can become the D.A.W. of choice for the hit record producers.

Fl already works in Cakewalk via rewrire. I have convinced 3 kids to try Cakewalk, but they just can’t get past the workflow issues.
2018/06/10 17:28:02
Anderton
dubdisciple
Even older forms of cross DAW conversion rarely work seemlessly. When I transfer via omf or aaf, I strip project down to most base elements. What azlow achieved is amazing but must be treated in similar manner.

Exactly. It's simply not possible to translate a project using a DAW's proprietary functionality into some other DAW with incompatible proprietary functionality. What you CAN do is translate what those projects have in common, which can be a considerable amount of data and for many projects, may be all that's needed.

Maybe it's possible to map parameters among different proprietary processes designed to create the same end result, e.g., AudioSnap to however Reaper does stretching, but it seems that would be incredibly time-consuming. Or what about locked effects? Maybe it's possible to read all the parameters in the Adaptive Limiter and apply them to a different multiband limiting plug-in. Azslow would know that...I don't. 

The MMA and AMEI (American and Japanese MIDI trade groups) are working on something along those lines so that, for example, filter cutoff is standardized. If your hardware controller adjusts filter cutoff, it will adjust filter cutoff in any software or hardware instrument with MIDI CI's Profile capabilities. But I don't think we have that kind of protocol yet for plug-ins.

Being able to open .cwp projects in Reaper is brilliant. It also sounds like a major improvement over OMF or AAF. Fortunately it sounds like joden's projects may be relatively simple; for example he thought it wasn't possible to cut and paste envelopes in Sonar, so he may not have gone too far into the deeper corners of the program. 

Of course there's always the 100% perfect way to open a .cwp project in another DAW so it sounds exactly the same: export all the tracks as stems, import them into the other program, make sure the pan laws are the same, and carry on from there 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account