• SONAR
  • Hi. A feauture idea abut global tuning. (p.2)
2018/11/03 02:15:46
chris.r
msmcleod
... For all other VSTi's and MIDI instruments, I expect they'll have their own implementation for setting the tuning. This would make any global setting in Cakewalk very hard for Cakewalk to propagate.

this
2018/11/04 04:29:55
Rbh
I thought I read a discussion many years ago about the thought of addressing Micro tuning /scaling in the MIDI spec. There are so many variations on Micro tuning / Scaling and only a few are  somewhat standard. 
There is a key offset available to each track and maybe it wouldn't be difficult to implement on the daw end - but pitch change would need to be standardized on each recieving instrument patch and that would limit the synth side of things.. As it is,  0 to 127 on a pitch wheel controller can alter the pitch of a patch anywhere from a few cents to many octaves depending on how a patch was designed. I think it was correct to leave Micro tuning / scaling on the synth side of things and not the controller end.
2018/11/04 14:38:52
Kamikaze
As I use WX5, I have a pitch bend in my mouth and its constantly sending midi pitch bend. This is bound to clash with a pitch bend offset. Not that I would care about detuning a whole piece. Anything that going to effect my ability to hear a C as a C is going to be avoided. With a sax, a C flute and a G flute, all with their own intonation irregularities to master, I'm sticking with 440
2018/11/05 06:37:13
ØSkald
Isn't this exactly what's needed to implement this?

MIDI Tuning Standard (MTS) is a specification of precise musical pitch agreed to by the MIDI Manufacturers Association in the MIDI protocol. MTS allows for both a bulk tuning dump message, giving a tuning for each of 128 notes, and a tuning message for individual notes as they are played.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_tuning_standard
2018/11/05 10:41:40
Kamikaze
ØSkald

MIDI Tuning Standard (MTS) is a specification of precise musical pitch agreed to by the MIDI Manufacturers Association in the MIDI protocol. MTS allows for both a bulk tuning dump message, giving a tuning for each of 128 notes, and a tuning message for individual notes as they are played.

2018/11/05 11:38:34
msmcleod
ØSkald

I guess it would be, however the issue is that most MIDI gear does not implement this. 

The vast majority of my MIDI gear uses a SYSEX message to set global tuning. We cant expect Cakewalk to implement a separate SYSEX message for each and every bit of gear out there, although I guess it could be done as an extension to the .ins format.

But VSTi's are arguably the main issue. There's no standard tuning parameter at all for VSTi's. Some may not even support a global tuning. instead relying on you tuning each individual oscillator. Not only that, even if you did know what the parameter was, you'd need some sort of mapping between Hz and the numerical value to send - you can bet they'll all be different.

2018/11/05 12:32:08
ØSkald
Nah. You dont need to do it that way. Just make it work on cakewalk gear, and the MTS. Maybe some "standard" systems as Native Instruments and so on. Most of Cakewalk features does not work on every product made. For instance Logic does not support many of the things in Cakewalk. Thats how it roll. You canott limmit yourself by and ideas by compair them to systems that has been de facto standards for 30 yeats. Then you never invent. NKI would never have been +++...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account