• SONAR
  • Export midi track to a .mid file? (p.2)
2011/01/26 23:06:15
drjenk
Well for whatever reason mine is definitely not working like that.  It's the same up to the point the right-click menu comes up.  Yours you can select, mine I cannot.  
2012/04/16 12:34:18
JohnRick
OK folks - I have another issue regarding MIDI Export: I have a drum performance on one MIDI track in SONAR X1. I need to mail this to a client, since they want to give input on a part between 2.50-3.10 ca. Now - I can't export only that part because then it will be difficult to have it lined up in their DAW. Therefore I've tried to erase all MIDI info before and after 2.50-3.10 so there will be a full MIDI track with large chunks of silence before/after and then events happening at above mentioned time. This seems to be impossible, since whatever I do, every export (save as) renders the full MIDI performance, which I DON't want. I have tried: -Erasing before and after, both in tracks view as well as in staff view. -Muting the clips before and after. And I save as MIDI 0 in my case. Bouncing to clip after erasing the clips before/after. No change whatsoever. I ALWAYS get the full performance no matter what I do. I just need a clip of 4.42 with silence everywhere except between 2.50-3.10. What do I do??
2012/04/16 13:55:32
lowdown
Copy just the part/events you need onto another new midi track - you will have blank either side of it then. Drag the front end of the new clip back to the very start of the tune. Then place some random data on the first beat of that clip. This will mean who ever imports the clip into their DAW has the clip lined up at their/your start point. Then just drag the new clip onto your desk top. It should save MIDI 1.

I think that is how i did it [away from DAW at the moment.

Garry

2012/04/16 14:13:16
JohnRick
  Thank you kindly for input Garry. In theory that would work excellent yes. In practice, when I copy, either if its dragging the specific part to a MIDI-track below, or copying via Ctrl-C and pasting into the lane below the MIDI data before/after is still there when I drag out the handles. So still nothing. I'm extremely confused why I can't make this seemingly simple task work on one of the worlds leading DAW's.
2012/04/16 14:41:35
lowdown
Yep i know it's a pain.
In the preferences, uncheck no[ne] destructive editing [it might be the other way around]
Or if that don't work, just delete the midi data you don't need in the PRV - that will work.
But still leave a note on beat one of bar one. [of course this is on your copied track]

Garry
2012/04/16 15:11:13
JohnRick
  Thanks for your time Garry. Tried both now actually. Unchecked nondestructive editing under MIDI in preferences (as it was on before) and exported. Still nothing. Everything is there as it should not be. Tried PRV - nothing. Did I mentioned I have tried to erase everything in staff view as well? Seems like this is a major flaw if it cannot be worked out. I should be able to save/export a midi file and have silence on both sides of my section, but apparently not. The stuff keeps getting in there despite my erasing over and over again in different ways.
2012/04/16 15:29:45
lowdown
Have you tried deleting the data in the MIDI events data page ?

Garry
2012/04/16 16:53:48
Kalle Rantaaho
The easiest way to export MIDI is to drag the MIDI-track to the desktop (according to what I'
ve read here on  the forum). I have no idea of how the format 0/1 is handled in that method.
2012/04/16 17:01:00
JohnRick
  Hyvää Iltää Kalle, Exporting MIDI is not the issue here. I have no problems whatsoever in exporting or saving MIDI to desktop - either dragging or using save as. My concern is that I cannot export a MIDI file that runs from beginning to end, excluding major parts of the performance and containing bits of it. I want the track to run 4.42 (which is the length of it). I want to remove all events except stuff between 2.50-3.10 ca so I have silence in both ends. Neither erasing, copy/paste to new track/project, muting, manually erasing in staff/track/event view has helped. I've given up. Hopefully it's something really simple, but as for now it does not look like it. I could of course export just that bit between 2.50-3.10 that I want, but then I don't get the silence, and thus missing the point of exporting the whole track. And if I exoport the whole track, all events tag along - cant get rid of them no matter what I do.
2012/04/16 17:47:20
lowdown
Crazy mate - I hope you get it sorted.

Garry
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account