2016/02/16 04:31:00
kennywtelejazz
Soundwise
Kenny, I agree that Samplitude's metering is outstanding.

just as IK's T-Racks.

I also like iZotope's Insight layout

Flux

and this

Wish we had a dockable Metering View hosting some analyzers of this kind.

Nice looking meters Soundwise

You know , if you have those plugs you can create an effects chain of any combo of those and save it to run in SONAR

I still want SONAR to have what I have in some of the other previously mentioned DAW's  we spoke about .

have a good one , 

Kenny
2016/02/16 04:39:30
Soundwise
Snehankur
Confused - whom to support!!
Yes Metering will be nice at one place - undockable.

Imagine Metering View being nested in its own dock, like Browser and Inspector. You can make it floating or dock anywhere - left, right, top, bottom. Wouldn't this be convenient and useful?
Thanks for your support of this feature request, your opinion matters.
2016/02/16 04:49:03
Soundwise
kennywtelejazz
Nice looking meters Soundwise

Yes, indeed. By looking at recently announced plugs like this

I'm pretty sure bakers can make some great analyzers and meters. It's not about developing something completely new and unheard of, but rather implementing existing code to make separate modules just for metering.
2016/02/23 09:32:49
Afrodrum
+1 for dockable metering and tuner. Lack of tuner in a top DAW is rather bizarre.
2016/02/23 10:19:53
Hatstand
Isn't there a tuner in the bundled TH2 software?
2016/02/23 10:37:24
BobF
OK.  Serious question after a brief statement.

To me all of the gazillion metering options seems strange.  Thinking about all of the DAW developer time & dollars spent on Yet Another Metering Solution sounds like an inefficient use of resources to me.  Who can say now that whatever solution CW comes up with will actually be preferred over the 3rd party metering tools?  My guess is that there would be a huge split, with a smallish pie slice actually proclaiming The Great Cake Metering Solution to be the best ever.

Now the question.  What in the world is gained (pun?) by all of these different metering approaches?  The real, incremental gain ...

This whole million-meter thing seems as inefficient as the healthcare industry continuing to pump R&D dollars into new, clever ways to record a persons temp.

So seriously, how do each of these options help the music or the process?  I really want to know.  Especially if everything I said above is ignorant and naive.

2016/02/23 10:45:33
pwalpwal
Afrodrum
+1 for dockable metering and tuner. Lack of tuner in a top DAW is rather bizarre.

there used to be a cakewalk tuner plugin but it got dropped at some point, don't know why
2016/02/23 10:58:22
Hatstand
Bob, I guess metering is a bit of a misnomer here as the options suggested above are more about analysis than just metering. Really the only main metering that isn't available currently without third party plugs is loudness scale metering (either LUFS or K scale). Some of those 3rd party options above are free in any case. The existing metering for RMS and Peak could benefit from some visual enhancements perhaps but they do the job.
The rest of the suggestions are about other types of analysis either currently not available out of the box or in need of some improvement.
These cover spectrum analysis, phase analysis, spatial analysis, multiband compression (with visuals), Left/Right + Mid/Side analysis This is one of the reasons why people use plugs like SPAN, Ozone, TRacks etc.
2016/02/23 11:55:21
Soundwise
Hatstand
Isn't there a tuner in the bundled TH2 software?

Would you use it to tune a saxophone or a mandolin? You probably would. )) But I doubt that users who are not into amp-sims as much as guitar players will even think of TH2 as a tuner stand-in.

BobF
So seriously, how do each of these options help the music or the process?  

I've seen quite a few blind musicians, some of them are great, awesome performers. But when they try to learn basics of computer based DAWs, they fail to succeed. The point is - visual analysis of the audio data is just as important as using your ears.
2016/02/23 12:19:16
brconflict
Metering is certainly one thing to have for Mastering here, but workflow is even more important, IMO. Personally, I'd like to see a Screenset dedicated to [M] for Mastering, and the 'console' workflow could be set up just like a real mastering desk. If it were, say, one large stereo channel with an input, output, and all the plug-in slots in between (where you can see all the plugins at once (scrollable view), the workflow would be worth good use. Wavelab has an excellent workflow, where you see your stereo track, and one plug-in chain. On top, you can choose metering options. But the first and foremost need, IMO is workflow. Metering is part of it, but cumbersome if the GUI isn't made to allow metering to be present at all times.

Yes, there are Mastering templates, and yes, you can Master in Sonar as-is, but it's the last place (currently) that I would choose because it doesn't have a Mastering workflow. But yes, metering included would be divine. :)
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account