2016/09/08 09:46:38
pentimentosound
This is interesting, though I don't know that I can imagine me handling the DIY aspect of this approach!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZoX7glIAS4

Lots of info...
Michael
2016/09/08 10:08:16
Jim Roseberry
FWIW, I wouldn't line a case with fabric with hopes that it'll "absorb" high frequency noise.  
That's going to take more density than a thin bit of fabric.
2016/09/08 14:27:12
pentimentosound
I wondered about the heat and dust aspects of the fabric. Anything else that stuck out for you, Jim? Any positives?
I have a little awareness of cases, but other than the HP Z Workstations, I haven't seen much radically new.

Do any stick out in your opinion/experience?
Michael
2016/09/08 14:49:15
slartabartfast
I agree that a layer or two of cotton terrycloth is not much of a sound absorber, or for that matter as a vibration isolator for mounting the case fans. A key point to this design is that a bulky heat sink has been added to the graphics card. For a DAW, the simple solution is to use a less demanding graphics card with a fanless heat sink. The large low speed fans replacing the graphics card and PSU fans are probably going to account for the major part of the noise improvement. 
2016/09/08 16:02:37
Eddie TX
This project appears to be aimed at a gaming machine, which does require a hefty video card. I like his solution for cooling that, but this is of limited relevance to a DAW.

And I'd be a little nervous about flammable material anywhere in the case, despite what he says about the PSU being isolated from the towels. 

IME, the type of case is less important than the internal components if you're going for a quiet machine. Large fans, SSDs, quiet PSU, and a fanless video card will give you a virtually silent PC regardless of what "sound-absorbing" features the case has.

Cheers,
Eddie

2016/09/08 17:38:59
bapu
One word (brand name)

Antec.

Out of the box the quietest cases I've ever owned (I own three and have Antec PSU in all of them, P-180s).

2016/09/08 18:40:10
pentimentosound
Thanks Bapu. My first build had an Antec case (P4 that still works)and  an ASUS mobo. I am still impressed with that case.
   When I think/toy with the idea of upgrading my current mobo to something with usb-C and DDR4 or 5, I figure I'll upgrade this Thermaltake Versa H23 GAMING CHASSIS case then.
   I do have large fans, and a quiet PS, but the Seagate drives are HHD (C=1Tb. D and E are both 2Tb). My AMD Radeon R9 285 2GB has a fan, however. I suppose I could replace that and quiet things down, some.
Thanks to all for the tips/advice. I appreciate it.
Michael
2016/09/08 18:59:44
Eddie TX
Tip for those not yet ready to spring for large SSDs: buy cheaper laptop HDDs (2.5") and put them into vibration-reducing 3.5" adapters -- I've used the NoVibes units with great success. Never hear a peep from those drives.

Cheers,
Eddie

2016/09/08 19:28:26
pentimentosound
Hmmm, that sounds (or doesn't LOL) like an interesting path.
2016/09/09 07:52:26
patm300e
bapu
One word (brand name)
Antec.
 Out of the box the quietest cases I've ever owned (I own three and have Antec PSU in all of them, P-180s).

+1 Antec user here.  I have had a few.  Still using the Sonata.  Took the stupid door off though!

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account