• Laptops for Sonar X3 Studio (p.2)
2016/09/26 16:06:09
oddtodd1
Thank you sir
2016/09/26 16:39:48
JonD
oddtodd1
I stand corrected here are my specs

i am using x3 studio, with Windows 7 Ultimate, Focusrite 6i6, Asus Puter with AMD FX (tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, 3.50GHZ, 800 GB RAM, 64 Bit OS,

Your system is more than adequate for Sonar X3 Studio. 

Buying another because you're having problems with this one is overkill to say the least (Unless, of course, you just want a new laptop).

I strongly suggest you either use this forum for help in troubleshooting your PC, or, if you're not a techie and would prefer an expert's help, then give Jim Roseberry a call. 

Jim is well-known here as a knowledgeable DAW builder/consultant.  He does over-the-phone consults, and for a lot less money than the cost of a new laptop, he can "phone in" to your system and probably get down to the root of the problem.

You can contact him for details at his website:

http://www.studiocat.com/

2016/09/26 17:06:57
oddtodd1
Thank you much
2016/10/16 20:41:23
soens
800 GB ram??? What in the world..... 16-32 is moooore than enough.
2016/10/16 22:10:30
oddtodd1
lol i would think you KNOW that was a misprint for sure

2016/10/16 23:14:21
gswitz
Oddtodd,
I use a laptop from 2006 with sonar platinum for mobile recording.

I have one of Jim's studio cat computers too. It is great.

Setting up your computer properly takes a little practice but if you run resplendent latency monitor and report results to the forum, we can help you get your computer dialed in.
2016/10/18 23:29:43
robert_e_bone
Please be aware that if your computer is using a WiFi adapter, as laptops do and some desktops, the WiFi adapters are NOTORIOUS for causing massive DPC Latency spikes that wreak havoc on the computer's ability to handle the audio streaming that applications like Sonar use - and THAT could well be a cause for audio glitches.

So - to get around that, lots of folks will temporarily turn off or disable their WiFi adapters (either with a switch or function key on the laptop, OR they will go into Windows Device Manager and double click on the WiFi adapter and then click on Disable), THEN they will launch Sonar and after finishing working in Sonar and Sonar closed - they then will turn the WiFi back on or Enable it in Device Manager to make accessing the Internet possible again.

I hope that helps you, 

And as far as choosing a laptop - I would suggest you strive for one with a minimum of an i3 or i5 CPU or a decent AMD CPU, then look for one with at least 8 GB of memory - or 16 GB, (or more), but try for at least 8 GB, and then IF possible, try to get one that supports having 2 internal hard drives.  Even if the drives aren't spectacular, having room in the case for 2 drives will GREATLY help performance for Sonar, by allowing you to split things across both drives, which will make it all run faster.

You would have Windows and your applications on the C: drive, and then make it so that your sample libraries, Cakewalk Projects, and Cakewalk Content live on the 2nd drive (along with your User Folders).

You can eventually pick up a solid state drive to become your C:, and can even buy a better 2nd drive that is either larger or faster, or both.  MOST folks with a multiple drive setup these days seem to use a solid-state drive for the C:, and then a 7,200 RPM SATA III HDD for their 2nd drive, because you can get a 1 TB or even 2 TB HDD for a LOT less money than what such a drive would cost to be a giant solid state drive.

But if possible - the combination of a decent CPU, 8 GB or more of memory, and 2 drive support in the laptop, is a great combination to look for in a laptop, for running Sonar - in MY opinion.  You can get such a laptop for a pretty reasonable price - with eventual upgrades to one or both hard drives.

Bob Bone
2016/10/19 09:02:33
oddtodd1
Thank you very much
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account