• Software
  • What do you think about Digital Performer 9?
2017/11/30 10:52:39
ronkenobi
What do you think about Digital Performer 9? 

I have start the demo today and the only thing i miss is ARA melodyne 
but DP9 have a nice pitch correction like melodyne inside.. hmmmm
and cant find a sample libary

2017/11/30 11:10:15
mcgooze
I won't download the demo until after Christmas when my work load slows a bit, but based on feature list, I'm leaning toward DP9. I do a lot of scoring for video and the chunks feature looks to be very cool, along with how DP9 handles video.
2017/11/30 18:01:54
jsg
ronkenobi

Of all the available DAWS, DP is the one most like Sonar in terms of ergonomics, design & features. I reinstalled DP yesterday & am busy learning how to use it. The Midi implementation is better than Sonar in some ways but if I had the choice I would continue to work in Sonar. But unless a miracle happens, Sonar is now short-lived & its probably best to begin transitioning to a new DAW.
2017/11/30 18:12:08
Amicus717
I tried it, really didn't like it, found it hard to read. I didn't find it very intuitive or Sonar-like, to be honest. I found Studio One had more in common with Sonar, than DP. Just my honest take on it. I had a hard time getting my head around some of its features and design.

I know folks who think very highly of it, though.
2017/11/30 19:36:46
Steve_Karl
I have a MAC friend that uses it and from talking with him it it seems so far away from Sonar in how it works that I call it alien.
BUT ... my friend loves it.
2017/12/01 18:37:36
Sycraft
I'd be a bit cautious just because it is from MOTU and their PC support has been less than stellar. They are a Mac oriented company (as evidenced from the many years DP was Mac only) and that can lead to suboptimal PC support.
2017/12/02 14:57:48
mcgooze
Sycraft They are a Mac oriented company (as evidenced from the many years DP was Mac only) and that can lead to suboptimal PC support.

I share that concern. Once I start getting a little more serious about looking into it, I'll ask around on motunation to see what user experience is like (they have a sub forum for PC users).
2017/12/02 15:11:24
DeeringAmps
Groove3 has videos.
To date I've been "non-plused" by all the "alternatives" (Cubase, SO3, MixCraft) raved about by others.
But at age 65, "why am I not surprised"?
T
2017/12/05 21:32:20
jsg
ronkenobi

I am running it now and quickly getting up to speed.  In some ways DP is superior to Sonar, the notation looks better (the actual staff and notes), the volume envelopes are more sophisticated and it is handling VSTS very well.   In other respects there is no DAW out there that is as aesthetically pleasing as Sonar Platinum, Sonar's interface is really clean, beautiful and logical.  So is DP9's, just not quite as nice (fonts are small).  But DP is a stable platform and can do everything and anything Sonar can for the most part.  For scoring, DP is better, it has more features that film composers want.  All in all the 2 DAWs are very similar, and for those who are leaving Sonar I think DP is going to be the easiest to learn because its workflow and ergonomics are closest to Sonar. 

Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com

2017/12/05 21:54:49
Blogospherianman
When my mac died 15 or 16 years ago I was running Performer. I then switched to PC and started using Sonar 2 becuase it had comparable midi fx and editing to performer. Been with Sonar and Cakewlak ever since, converting a lot of folks along the way as well. I will be downloading the demo of DP 9.5 soon! Also find myself squinting and leaning forward to be able to read Cubase 9.5 text (too small as well)
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account